Minister Jordan announces long-term commercial closures and Licence Retirement Program in effort to save Pacific Salmon

Saxe Point

Wow this isn't good. First glance didn't see anything re sporties - mostly FN and commies. I guess specifics to follow.

Well I don’t think we’ll be getting anything we asked for in the IFMP. Hopefully not worse then last year. Not feeling optimistic

How about they support hatchery production in a big way to assist with the native populations...
Take out the seal populations in the estuaries...
I sure hope to see that some of these efforts are being considered other than buying licenses...except for Jimmy's I am sure

What a joke this government is."Permanently removing fishing effort will support the economic viability of the fishery in the long
term"

One day I would like the government to actually deal with the problem with pro-active approach not reactive one. When I read that sounds like government is just giving up.

Wonder if last years harvest numbers were impacted by Covid? We’re the same number of boats fishing the same number of days or was last year an anomaly?

looking at the list it seems like these are already commercial fishery's that are already closed or have not had openings for a number of years.

There is a few significant ones the area D gill net mixed stock chum fishery is one that people have been trying to get closed for awhile.

Well its been like this for a bit now for the commercial guys , all they are going to do ....wait for it!!!!!
more fish farms MARK my words...

This is bad. First thing I though when I read that article was that next year’s gonna be brutal for the rec sector. If they’re talking buying back commercial licenses, that means forever. No going back from that and once they’re gone it’s only us left.

Seriously doubt that 60% of the FN communal fisheries or any % will be affected at this time. Just empty words from DFO to save face and look balanced.

First Nations fisheries are not going anywhere. The department will allocate to other stocks. That is how I read it.

For First Nations communal-commercial harvesters, the Department will meaningfully consult on options to shift to more selective fishing gear or, where available, to licences for other non-salmon species. These mitigation measures allow for continued economic opportunity agreements under the communal-commercial licence, while helping reduce interactions with at-risk stocks.

Another great one:

The closures include gill net fisheries along with a number of seine and troll fisheries that impact stocks of concern directly or encounter stocks of concern as by-catch. The closures are intended to increase the number of salmon reaching spawning areas. Where commercial fishery closures are in place to conserve specific sockeye, pink and chum salmon stocks, recreational retention fisheries will also be restricted consistent with salmon allocation priorities. However, recreational chinook and coho fisheries have a higher salmon allocation priority and would not be impacted in the same manner.

Last edited:
This is bad. First thing I though when I read that article was that next year’s gonna be brutal for the rec sector. If they’re talking buying back commercial licenses, that means forever. No going back from that and once they’re gone it’s only us left.

pretty sure the rec sector usually only gets openings for chum, pink and sockeye when the commercial guys do so if these are closed to commercial they are closed to rec sector. think browns bay chum derby. mixed stock JS fishery

If the problem is that big and conservation is the true goal, then a complete closure is in order.
It is utter B.S. to claim conservation and then allow specific groups
and area's to continue fishing.
You mean Gillnetting from one side of river to other. More like catching not really fishing.

Sad day. My summers commercial fishing were a real experience, that change my life for the better and for many in my family in smaller ways. My mom even owned a troller with her first husband. Raise a glass to ever commercial salmon fisher on the coast, a lot of blood sweat and tears built this coast and kept it alive and paved the way for us to live and enjoy this place. Let’s get some dams removed and build stocks back up.

Back