$647.1 million Pacific Salmon Strategy Initiative

I think this is one of the good ones. Active estuary restoration work can have multi-species benefits, some of the successful projects in recent years (e.g. Cowichan) had significant lower river habitat restoration that was highly successful. Not sure if this one is aiming at Fraser estuary but that should be the focus.

I get but that's one hell of price tag. The work on Cowichan I believe was mostly volunteer far as I know.

Study Overview

The Nature Trust of British Columbia has secured funding from the BC Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund to implement a five-year project to improve estuary habitat to enhance the long-term sustainability and health of wild BC fish stocks. We will be working with Coastal First Nations and our partners in the West Coast Conservation Land Management Program. Funding for this project is provided under the BC Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund, a contribution program funded jointly between Fisheries and Oceans Canada, and the Province of BC.

The U.S. National Estuarine Research Reserve System developed the Marsh Resilience to Sea-Level Rise (MARS) tool – a powerful approach to evaluate and compare the ability of tidal marshes to persist and thrive as sea levels rise. They conducted their research in estuaries along the west coast of the United States. The Nature Trust of BC’s research program will extend the coverage of that research northwards along the west coast of North America, providing a Canadian context.

The project takes a two-pronged approach:

• Conducting monitoring and research to assess estuary resilience to sea-level rise at 15 sites on Vancouver Island, the central coast and Haida Gwaii.
  • Implementation of several major ecological restoration projects to restore core estuarine processes in Years 4 and 5.

Informed Decision-Making

This project will increase the knowledge and capacity of all partners to make informed management, conservation, restoration, and enhancement decisions in these important coastal ecosystems in the face of climate change and sea-level rise.

Assessing Estuary Resilience to Sea-Level Rise

At each site, The Nature Trust and Coastal First Nations will use a variety of equipment to collect data and implement the MARS tool. Data will be collected for five categories of resilience during the study: distribution of marsh elevation, change in elevation, sediment supply, tidal range, and rate of sea-level rise. Within each category, metrics will be given a score of 1 to 5, indicating level of resilience from low to high. These will be used to calculate an overall score indicating the level of resilience to sea-level rise for each site.

Implementation of Ecological Restoration Projects

The output of the MARS scoring will provide baseline information to inform the ecological restoration phase of the project. Identification and subsequent feasibility studies of candidate restoration projects will be undertaken in Years 2 and 3 of the project. In Years 4 and 5, The Nature Trust will deliver two transformational projects that restore core natural estuarine processes (including the collection of pre- and post-restoration monitoring metrics).

Examples of restoration activities The Nature Trust and our partners have previously implemented include removal of historical agricultural dykes/berms, and construction/reconnection of tidal channels, aimed at restoring estuarine hydrology and improving tidal connectivity which benefits fish, wildlife, plants and other coastal species.

9 million for a bunch of biologists to go canoeing in a estuaries and take measurements to tell us how doomed we are from climate change.

Id imagin it gets quit expensive flying around in seaplanes and helicopters to get to the 15 locations and paying living out expenses.

im sure they will put together a nice report for the government to completely ignore.

Really interesting 30 years ago we had a meeting with fisheries as a gulf troller he said they were doubling our license to pay for salmon enhancement I asked if I could make out two checks one to receiver one to enhancement and was told no. The next year salmon enhancement was reduced by 3 million. I have friends that worked at hatcheries that could produce millions of fish but were restricted to 7 or 8 hundred thousand. They only got enough food for that many. I don’t believe anything fisheries says.

Chicken feed folks, just chicken feed. Washington State just passed a 2 year Fish&Wildlife Budget of $58 Billion. They understand that investment comes back in jobs, economic development, tax revenue. We’re celebrating a one time investment of $600 million on top of an annual budget of only $3.3 Billion for Fisheries. We can’t fix anything unless we either spend or close. These measly investment dollars are simply slowing down the pace towards the inevitable. We’re likely looking at tens of billions to seriously impact the Fraser Riverto the point where it’s once again a healthy salmon ecosystem. We’ve been trained by our government to applaud uncontrollably over pathetic investment levels in our fishery. Pathetic. Libs will run $500 Billion deficits in the 2 years of the pandemic and $650 Billion in deficits over their 4 year mandate. We’re doing cartwheels over a 600 million dollar investment in our entire BC Fishery? That’s 1/10 of 1% of the deficits the Libs are racking up. Think our votes matter? They don’t.

Chicken feed folks, just chicken feed. Washington State just passed a 2 year Fish&Wildlife Budget of $58 Billion. They understand that investment comes back in jobs, economic development, tax revenue. We’re celebrating a one time investment of $600 million on top of an annual budget of only $3.3 Billion for Fisheries. We can’t fix anything unless we either spend or close. These measly investment dollars are simply slowing down the pace towards the inevitable. We’re likely looking at tens of billions to seriously impact the Fraser Riverto the point where it’s once again a healthy salmon ecosystem. We’ve been trained by our government to applaud uncontrollably over pathetic investment levels in our fishery. Pathetic. Libs will run $500 Billion deficits in the 2 years of the pandemic and $650 Billion in deficits over their 4 year mandate. We’re doing cartwheels over a 600 million dollar investment in our entire BC Fishery? That’s 1/10 of 1% of the deficits the Libs are racking up. Think our votes matter? They don’t.
Do you have a link to that 2021 Washington State 2 year Fish & Wildlife budget of $58 billion? Not arguing but my source shows $58 billion might be the entire state budget. https://ofm.wa.gov/sites/default/fi...osed_2021-23_Budget_and_Policy_Highlights.pdf

Back