Mexican fishing info

Am just back from annual Mex fishin trip. Been at the Ziha/ Vincente area. Fishing seems to have been going down hill past couple years in that area in the late Feb. time slot. Some jacks in the 20 pound range but the roosters did not want to play.
Was thinking of checking out the area around Los Barriles . Has anyone been there recently or have accommodation recommendations?
Thanks

Am just back from annual Mex fishin trip. Been at the Ziha/ Vincente area. Fishing seems to have been going down hill past couple years in that area in the late Feb. time slot. Some jacks in the 20 pound range but the roosters did not want to play.
Was thinking of checking out the area around Los Barriles . Has anyone been there recently or have accommodation recommendations?
Thanks
I live here (Los Barriles) through the winter and while the area is beautiful 'scenic and a lot of fun -wouldn't be my choice for fishing during the winter. Too much wind to get out if you have a short time frame. Jose de Cabo or Cabo San Lucas it self are better choices-you use the same airport but it is around the corner and much better situated-wind wise. I'm here for 5 months so I can pick and choose my times but they could be a week apart-then you may get 2 flat days then nothing for 10 days.

I live here (Los Barriles) through the winter and while the area is beautiful 'scenic and a lot of fun -wouldn't be my choice for fishing during the winter. Too much wind to get out if you have a short time frame. Jose de Cabo or Cabo San Lucas it self are better choices-you use the same airport but it is around the corner and much better situated-wind wise. I'm here for 5 months so I can pick and choose my times but they could be a week apart-then you may get 2 flat days then nothing for 10 days.

That is great. Nothing like first hand info. Maybe when you back in country we can have a little chat.
Thanks

It was pretty decent in San Jose this February for Yellowfins but not quite as good as last year.
I feel thankful to be bringing home some yummy sushi grade fish

Let me know if you need any info on this area

It was pretty decent in San Jose this February for Yellowfins but not quite as good as last year.
I feel thankful to be bringing home some yummy sushi grade fish

Let me know if you need any info on this area

Whatttttt? No pictures or it didn't happen Shawn ;)

heading down to la ventana mexico end of march for 10 days then 2 days in san jose del cabo any decent fishing these times of year might bring a shore caster

anything castable from shore

That I am not sure of as I have always rented a guided panga out of Bahia de los Suenos which is around the corner. There does look to be some deep water close to shore but you would have to talk to the locals. Lots of Gringos there

Gordo banks = $250 us for a 6 hr trip plus $20 for live bait

You can get cheaper but you get what you pay for.

At Bahai de los Suenos {Morteous} to the locals its 150 plus bait if available. Around the corner from La Ventana very out of the way and trouble getting hooked up with the Panga. You have to be there. Impossible to book if you aren't there. Ask in Los Planos-little town before La Ventana the fishermen all live there.

At Bahai de los Suenos {Morteous} to the locals its 150 plus bait if available. Around the corner from La Ventana very out of the way and trouble getting hooked up with the Panga. You have to be there. Impossible to book if you aren't there. Ask in Los Planos-little town before La Ventana the fishermen all live there.
There are $150 boats in SJD too but they don't have newer motors, life jackets and a vhf radio. :eek:

There are $150 boats in SJD too but they don't have newer motors, life jackets and a vhf radio. :eek:

These guys do BUT they are basically commercial fisherman--they are good at what they do but you should bring your own rod and hooks. It is not set up at all-as a sportsfishery. We have turned it into a bit of one and know the guys to get. They speak almost no English but if you are down here for the winter you can make it happen. The two Cabo's are definitely the place to go but if you are going to La Ventana as BF is--- then ask around--the fishing is decent there.

Back