Mexican fishing info

My brother has fished plenty off shore, bring a surf rod and cast as far as you can and reel as fast as you can!its eat or be eaten. I went down there with some silver zingers 5-6" and caught a trevali the first cast. Your not going to get tuna or anything huge but I'm sure you can catch something. He has hooked plenty of roosters and wahoo( I think).We rented a panga for half a day went out and got skunked. We appeared to have the lemon for the day, everyone came back with something except for us! Fishing off shore in Cabo San Lucas is definitely worth a try... Beats waking up sitting by the pool! Early bird gets the worm! Baileys and coffee and start walking! Before the sun comes up! Watch for the fish scrambling in the wake.

Just a side comment on surf casting. You want to use equipment that will give you distance. Think in the 100 meter + range. And yes a speed retrieval is essential so look at 5 or even 6 /1 retrieve. Generally, stay on or close to the surface. You won't pull away from these fish if they want it, don't slow down. A lot of the fish have large jagged teeth and are very hard on lures, especially the very common needle fish. Protect the bottom 2-3 feet of your line; use steel or heavy mono. I use 80 pound mono and check & change often. I use white or silver lures ,although think in the turbulent surf waters its more the sound than the color.. Go get em !!

Colder than normal water temps around the Manzanillo-Barra de Navidad area this month. Fish finder was showing 74-75 F when it would normally be 79-80. As a result, not many game fish being caught. There was a dorado tournament third weekend of February, 80+ boats caught a total of three fish over the two days. We did hear reports of the odd large yellowfin tuna being caught but no luck ourselves. We hooked a good sized blue marlin but it must have taken the hook just in the front of the mouth where it's hard like a steel plate because it popped off after only 20 seconds or so. Nothing coming off the beaches either. Never been skunked in Mexico before!

Colder than normal water temps around the Manzanillo-Barra de Navidad area this month. Fish finder was showing 74-75 F when it would normally be on this side got as low as79-80. As a result, not many game fish being caught. There was a dorado tournament third weekend of February, 80+ boats caught a total of three fish over the two days. We did hear reports of the odd large yellowfin tuna being caught but no luck ourselves. We hooked a good sized blue marlin but it must have taken the hook just in the front of the mouth where it's hard like a steel plate because it popped off after only 20 seconds or so. Nothing coming off the beaches either. Never been skunked in Mexico before!
Water temps on this side of sea of cortez got as low as 68--normally no lower than 74 so it wasn't a stellar year this side either!!

stop it you lol !!! you guys are making bumbed lol- the temp down there seems hot from the weather channels so a bad day of beach casting i n hot weather and white sand is okay by me !!!! ill let you know 2 weeks i m gone!! -I think i m at least guaranteed a sunburn and 1 or 2 hangovers!!!

I enjoyed my daily beach casting practice! Most of my fishing in BC is either trolling or jigging, it's a nice change.

Going to be in mazatlan most of Sept. Looking to hook up with others for some fishing. Will share costs for a boat or do some surf fishing if you know of good locations.

Back