Marine Battery Wiring

quote:Originally posted by ebbtide

yes main is shut down and reading is 12.3 v
while running 12.7v
does it matter that I'm using crappy tire
nautilus batteries? one starting one deep cell
my friend said to me that was my problem
I don't believe it

I've just ditched a Natilus deep cycle battery that I used as a "spare" -- for almost your exact reason. With a Multimeter the battery would read 12.6/7 and looked fine. My electrical system however would lose all charge overnight. Took the battery to Cdn Tire and had them test it and it completely failed their load test. Take it back to them and get them to test yours.

TenMile
<'((((><

I am assuming you don’t have a service manual?

Nothing wrong with checking the battery, charging it, and having it load tested as you need to identify the problem! It is a process of elimination!

Do you have a “Hydrometer” test the battery, the readings should not vary more than .05 differences between cells.

Here is what I would do? Connect the voltmeter on and set it to 20 volts. Connect the red terminal to the positive – black to negative. With engine off check your reading. That will tell you the current battery strength. If you have voltage readings in the 10.5 volts range on a CHARGED battery that typically indicates a shorted cell.

Put the battery selector on #1 start the main and turn OFF ALL equipment and electronics. If the voltage jumps to 13.5 – 13.8 volts, you probably have a bad battery or connection? If the voltage stays the same (or drops) check the cables and stator? Switch to #2 and again, same – same. See above!

Unless, someone has changed something you should have a Johnson, Evinrude Stator, 35 Amps.
http://www.iboats.com/Evinrude-Stators/dm/view_id.269243
http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...d_poid=334790&gd_row=283&session_id=828584565

quote:Originally posted by ebbtide

I have brand new batteries brand new rectifier
and last week I had some charging issues
I never really saw anything over 12.7 volts on fishfinder gauge
while trying to charge batts

Incidentally, I was doing some electrical work on my own boat last night. I ended up plugging my multimeter right onto the connector that my plotter plugs into and started up the plotter. There was a difference of between .3-.5V between the plotter's voltage reading and the reading on the multimeter (plotter was always lower).

For kicks, I also plugged in an inverter into the 12V plug on my dash. It also reads the input voltage. It too was lower than the multimeter by about .2V.

I'm guessing that the meter in the plotter simply provides an estimated voltage range and is likely not as tuned or refined as the proper tool.

TenMile
<'((((><

looks like it mayatbe a loose conection
after deeper inspection I found that I broke my
battery switch by over tightening
I conected the outboard directly to the battery
and at Idle i read 13v on my multimeter and probabily higher
as I had to jumpstart due to a low battery condition
and I changed out the wing nuts
we will see what happens

I will update you after I find some dirty old socks tommorrow

also thanks for the info from you guys