Lumber Prices

I ordered myself the RR5029 last month, it will be in the end of April. I have a pretty good selection of Spruce and poplar on our own land and my neighbors next to me have decent stands of spruce I will log as I need it. Don’t plan on going full scale or anything just for my own use and I plan on getting more into live edge work, also dry and sell live edge planking and boards. Quite a bit of nice large Jack Pine in my neighborhood as well. Doesn’t get a guy treated wood but it will sure cut down on my lumber costs. Seems I’m always building something out here for myself or th kids.

Time to consider Rammed earth, which in normal times would cost 10% more than stick construction. I would guess it now will be at least 25% less, and lasts way longer.
Stosh

I ordered myself the RR5029 last month, it will be in the end of April. I have a pretty good selection of Spruce and poplar on our own land and my neighbors next to me have decent stands of spruce I will log as I need it. Don’t plan on going full scale or anything just for my own use and I plan on getting more into live edge work, also dry and sell live edge planking and boards. Quite a bit of nice large Jack Pine in my neighborhood as well. Doesn’t get a guy treated wood but it will sure cut down on my lumber costs. Seems I’m always building something out here for myself or th kids.

that mill looks pretty cool. I always wanted a wood miser but the old school Alaskan was all I had and did the trick, especially milling cedar. I worked in the bush and seemed to have an almost inexhaustible supply but that is a while back now. milled up enough for many a fence and deck over the years. good luck with that mill, let us know how it works out. milling wood is fun

I called about Baltic Birch plywood today. None available, been out of stock for 2 months apparently. Almost scared to find out the price when it eventually comes in.

my wife is not so choked now when she see's all the lumber I've squirreled away over the years, and she loves the lumber stocks in her rrsp and tfsa, lol. supply and demand period, all those fires burning homes and good timber torched, housing needs, demand in asia picking up, most producers don't see it easing up any time soon and they are all at capacity. less timber allowed to harvest in bc doesn't help, this industry suffered for a long long time, now they are making hay while they can.

My son-in-law has wanted a shop built for a while. Lumber prices are shocking but they have some nice firs on their property. They wanted three trees near the house taken out anyway so I suggested having a portable mill brought in. After grading, they will have about $450/M into the lumber, which is far nicer material than the typical lumberyard stock.

Pfft. i bet you vacuum under your mill when you’re finished!
doesn’t the poplar twist up like a twizzler or does it stay fairly dimensional?

Pfft. i bet you vacuum under your mill when you’re finished!
doesn’t the poplar twist up like a twizzler or does it stay fairly dimensional?
Lol it will be set up outside a ways from the house and shop, have a nice high spot in the field picked out.

Poplar can be dried properly if it’s done slowly out of the sun and strapped well or if you build with it soon. I have built a couple sheds over the years from greenish rough cut poplar. A friend of mine some years back built many projects, hay sheds, machinery shops all out of poplar. The thing is with poplar it either has to be kept dry or wet, nor back and forth. It turns into quite a hard wood once it’s dried, much harder than spruce. First project will be to mill lumber to build a drying shed. It will be gapped to allow air movement so as it shrinks as it dries won’t make a difference.

Time to consider Rammed earth, which in normal times would cost 10% more than stick construction. I would guess it now will be at least 25% less, and lasts way longer.
Stosh
Still a lot of lumber needed in the forms. Won't be as much saving as you'd think. Nice for a decorative feature wall, but there are less expensive ways to make super efficient wall assemblies.

Oh God someone had to say straw bale. Bring on the tiny homes as well, and then we can all have a good laugh and get it out of our system.

It's hempcrete now, you gotta keep up with the alt building times...

I’m talking airform hipsters gotta love that ****. Inflate a ballon and spray with shot Crete. Genius.....what’s old is new again. no lumber, and who would not want to live in a cement bubble house?

Don't forget all the modular units made out of shipping containers. Vendors are all righteous about how they're dealing with a major waste problem. Meanwhile shipments are being delayed because of a worldwide shortage of containers...

I’m talking airform hipsters gotta love that ****. Inflate a ballon and spray with shot Crete. Genius.....what’s old is new again. no lumber, and who would not want to live in a cement bubble house?
cloudhidden01.jpg

I'd live in it.

About 1989 I was going through Fort Nelson and at that time they told me come back up with a pickup load of plywood and I would get a full guided sheep hunt. Now for the price of plywood I could probably fly up there and get 2 hunts. But I am not young enough or in shape enough anyway.

Back