Lumber Prices

Omg I was there with my son on Saturday 1/2 inch plywood 68 bucks so I bought some 2x3 econo studs Jan 1 they were 3.68 each now they were 5.98 for economic studs and I couldn’t even find straight ones. Imagine trying to build a house your budget would be out to lunch with prices doubling every three months. Almost cheaper to make it out of metal

Lumber guys are only holding pricing for two days right now. It’s a **** show. I found a bunch of G1S ply from my wedding two years ago. Might sell it and make a few bucks lol

My pops needs to rebuild his deck that is about 100’ long x 12’ deep. I’m trying to convince him to do a steel structure, Q-deck, and concrete.

I recently had a client ask for a price study on ICF walls instead of conventional frost wall, framing and insulation. We were about to dig footings but now they're going ICF, which means re-engineering and some other delays. They don't care because the lumber prices have made ICF cheaper.

I recently had a client ask for a price study on ICF walls instead of conventional frost wall, framing and insulation. We were about to dig footings but now they're going ICF, which means re-engineering and some other delays. They don't care because the lumber prices have made ICF cheaper.
We've just decided to do the same. ICF has come a long way as well which is nice.

Do a good job of sealing windows and doors and ICF yields impressively airtight buildings. Last ICF house we did had blower door test results that would qualify for Passive House.

Do a good job of sealing windows and doors and ICF yields impressively airtight buildings. Last ICF house we did had blower door test results that would qualify for Passive House.
My next project is a Net Zero infill house with a character retention of the main. I might buy stocks in eps after seeing the specs.

Last edited:
The high price of lumber is from a number of factors. The mills in the US are not running at 100% production with some not operating at all which in turns lowers the supply. Stumpage costs (i.e the tax forestry companies pay the provincial gov) is very high right now making logging costs very high. Add in the devestating wildfires and mountain pine beetle, supply from interior SPF mills the BC supply is also diminished.

This is exactly why real estate is skyrocketing along a laundry list of other things.

I coworker's kid just got laid off from his framing job because the developer isn't going ahead with new projects due to the lumber costs. That's only gonna push real estate prices higher still if the supply side is constrained.

My dad just bought 2k worth of cedar for his deck project. Was not planning on doing it to the summer but they told him, heed be lucky if he can find it in the summer. A grade deck stuff real mint looking.

I’m doing some landscaping work around our yard, using 4x6x 8 pressure treated lumber.
When I ordered them, the store said the prices seem to be changing every few days.
I bought enough to get a bit of a discount, paid $22.08 each.
These wood prices will probably put other projects on hold for awhile.

Back