Lumber Prices

What also gets me is that we pay the same price as everyone else across the country, and we get the cast offs. It is being logged and milled in most of our backyards. My family that lives in Alberta are paying way less for fuel, one main reason (I know not the only) location. I still don't understand how it is logged close to my home, milled 4 km from my home, yet the lumber store 1 km from me charges same if not more than my Dad pays in Calgary. People would be way more 'understanding ' about what goes on in the bush if we actually saw some benefits.
Just ordered 1/2 lift 2x4x8 spruce at work, half so warped Gretzky would use it..........1300$
Sorry, day off, morning rant over.

What also gets me is that we pay the same price as everyone else across the country, and we get the cast offs. It is being logged and milled in most of our backyards. My family that lives in Alberta are paying way less for fuel, one main reason (I know not the only) location. I still don't understand how it is logged close to my home, milled 4 km from my home, yet the lumber store 1 km from me charges same if not more than my Dad pays in Calgary. People would be way more 'understanding ' about what goes on in the bush if we actually saw some benefits.
Just ordered 1/2 lift 2x4x8 spruce at work, half so warped Gretzky would use it..........1300$
Sorry, day off, morning rant over.
Alberta mills are going full bore this winter, going to be some good profit taking this year for them boy, good on them, they need it now and again. They go through some rough years those mills. The Fir and Cedar of course we buy in AB is BC wood but our Spruce and Pine lumber is mostly Alberta sawn lumber.

It’s sad the quality of wood out there this day and age isn’t it.

Last edited:
I ordered myself the RR5029 last month, it will be in the end of April. I have a pretty good selection of Spruce and poplar on our own land and my neighbors next to me have decent stands of spruce I will log as I need it. Don’t plan on going full scale or anything just for my own use and I plan on getting more into live edge work, also dry and sell live edge planking and boards. Quite a bit of nice large Jack Pine in my neighborhood as well. Doesn’t get a guy treated wood but it will sure cut down on my lumber costs. Seems I’m always building something out here for myself or th kids.

Good find, I have been Jonsing for a mill for years. I just ordered the RR5032 now I can turn beautiful wood into lumber instead of fire wood.

Good find, I have been Jonsing for a mill for years. I just ordered the RR5032 now I can turn beautiful wood into lumber instead of fire wood.
Right on. Hopefully mine is in by my next days off, looking forward to getting it set up. Going to do some logging here later this week once I get my little tractor better set up. Going to build an attachment for the 3 point hitch.

Right on. Hopefully mine is in by my next days off, looking forward to getting it set up. Going to do some logging here later this week once I get my little tractor better set up. Going to build an attachment for the 3 point hitch.
You know we are going to need pictures of this one. Looking forward to seeing your whole set up.

Oly

Supposed to be building a new house in the fall. Plans are getting drawn. Might scrape the whole idea. Its not just wood that has gone up and everyone is jumping on the train.

Didn't want to build until we were ready. Now we are good to go but lost everything we saved by the increase in material and then some.

Last edited:
Supposed to be building a new house in the fall. Plans are getting drawn. Might scrape the whole idea. Its not just wood that has gone up and everyone is jumping in the train.

Didn't want to build until we were ready. Now we are good to go but lost everything we saved by the increase in material and then some.
Yup, I had a deck to build this summer quite a big one, 32 x 14. Took a look at lumber prices earlier this spring and decided to put it off another year, hopefully prices come down for next year.

Today on site we debated over how to sheet the back of the mechanical room for over an hour. We always use 3/4" good one side and do the entire room before rough-in starts. Makes for a nice clean finish. Drywallers love it. After the hour long discussion and pricing out the options we landed on two half sheets of scrap 1/2" just behind the boiler and lots of backing. Drywallers be damned, just saved the owner $800.

It’s sad the quality of wood out there this day and age isn’t it.
Its all computerized grading now at the mills. Scanners are set to pull out any better pieces and charge a premium to the home centre stores and truss plants, while the crap that is just good enough but look like **** is your everyday framing stick. A full truck of lumber (54,000 board feet) used to average between 20-25K CDN delivered Vancouver. Now you are at 75-85K. OSB is impossible to source and lumber yards are running out of product and telling customers to use plywood or go elsewhere. Yards are telling their salespeople to turn new and pain in the butt customers away. I've seen BC lumber shipped to China and then shipped back here because the owners could get a much better return. South African and Japanese off grade plywood showing up in Canada!? But don't worry - according to the government there is no inflation.

Lumber memes. Gotta be a sign of a market top!

Attachments

• F6017C5B-1A3B-486A-BFD0-F3FB5991E916.jpeg
    F6017C5B-1A3B-486A-BFD0-F3FB5991E916.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 75
Its all computerized grading now at the mills. Scanners are set to pull out any better pieces and charge a premium to the home centre stores and truss plants, while the crap that is just good enough but look like **** is your everyday framing stick. A full truck of lumber (54,000 board feet) used to average between 20-25K CDN delivered Vancouver. Now you are at 75-85K. OSB is impossible to source and lumber yards are running out of product and telling customers to use plywood or go elsewhere. Yards are telling their salespeople to turn new and pain in the butt customers away. I've seen BC lumber shipped to China and then shipped back here because the owners could get a much better return. South African and Japanese off grade plywood showing up in Canada!? But don't worry - according to the government there is no inflation.
That was an outstanding rant and all true.
3x is what I am hearing pretty consistently for lumber number for a house. Not sure where that leaves everyone other than crazy inflation and people being priced out.

The reality is lumber was way to low for way to long here in BC. All the local mills that Lots of us found work in for summer jobs or full time employment have been shut down. The nursery that supplied saplings for tree planting oppoerations have all been shut down or way scaled back be cause they just simply could not make any money.

I think now we are seeing a point where all that shut off supply has finally impacted demand and prices are rising. Really tho if we had higher prices years ago lots of Thoes mills would of never shut down.

Had a conversation at the contractor sales desk at Home Hardware today. The feelings there are that we aren't ever going to see lumber come back to what it was. He was thinking possibly 30% less by the end of the year but the affordable lumber days are over. Not to mention, we all keep gobbling it up at these inflated prices and are setting precedent that we will pay these numbers. The one shining light is that we are seeing more mills come back online and supply is coming back, theoretically supply and demand....

Had a conversation at the contractor sales desk at Home Hardware today. The feelings there are that we aren't ever going to see lumber come back to what it was. He was thinking possibly 30% less by the end of the year but the affordable lumber days are over. Not to mention, we all keep gobbling it up at these inflated prices and are setting precedent that we will pay these numbers. The one shining light is that we are seeing more mills come back online and supply is coming back, theoretically supply and demand....
I know a lot of people that have postponed projects due to the prices. It takes a while but the effects will be felt on the demand side.

Back