Lumber Prices

Nice, you got lucky.
Well it's here. I won't turn this thread into a sawmill build thread, but this is what I have so far.

The Girls want to see whats up
IMG_2858.jpg
Doesn't look like a saw mill to me

IMG_2859.jpg
Ah now can see it. I will put it together tomorrow
IMG_2860.jpg
I bought the blade sharpener, cuz toolz are awsome
64092874748__AA07F149-570C-4D8B-939C-935EE3655582.jpg

Lumber is worth more than gold! I bought all my fence posts three weeks ago for $25 bucks. Was looking to get two more today the price has gone up to 36.90. Just crazy how can people afford to be building houses? Brick must be cheeper by now
I talked to a builder today who is is planning a 50 unit project in Vancouver and they have made the decision to switch from wood to concrete. He said almost the same cost but concrete is better for insulation l, sound and longevity...

Lumber is worth more than gold! I bought all my fence posts three weeks ago for $25 bucks. Was looking to get two more today the price has gone up to 36.90. Just crazy how can people afford to be building houses? Brick must be cheeper by now

i was at Home Depot today and an employee told me they get had there best month ever for revenue at the store.

so obviously people are doing a lot of project right now at home too.

I also got some quotes for a bathroom Reno and all the guys were busy and fully booked 6-12 months out.

Crazy chart - monthly lumber futures...

Attachments

• Page (2)_21-05-01_10-11-51.png
    Page (2)_21-05-01_10-11-51.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 56
A superintendent friend of mine Said the project he is working on there already bought and stockpiled all the wood in the underground parking

For anyone that really likes to follow lumber prices or just has a bunch of extra time (BECAUSE THEY ARENT SALMON FISHING), the provincial and federal governments publish weekly info:

For detailed info, Keta Kosman, the publisher of Madisons Lumber Reporting, has been doing weekly podcasts that are very informative:

What a time to be alive.

You can bet the American lumber industry lobbyists are busily doing what they do: convincing yet another incoming administration that the evil commie Canadians are subverting true capitalism with their lumber sourced from public lands. Every new president for more than three decades has fallen for this shtick and has approved tariffs or other punitive measures that are eventually shown to be unfair by the courts.

In today's market, we better hope the former president's tariff barriers remain in place. Imagine if they were removed and the lower price pumped demand even further! Availability in Canada would drop to near zero due to essentially limitless demand south of the border.

You can bet the American lumber industry lobbyists are busily doing what they do: convincing yet another incoming administration that the evil commie Canadians are subverting true capitalism with their lumber sourced from public lands. Every new president for more than three decades has fallen for this shtick and has approved tariffs or other punitive measures that are eventually shown to be unfair by the courts.

In today's market, we better hope the former president's tariff barriers remain in place. Imagine if they were removed and the lower price pumped demand even further! Availability in Canada would drop to near zero due to essentially limitless demand south of the border.
It's already hit zero. This is going to get worse before it gets better. I was just told by Dicks that they "forgot" about my 4000 sq ft build that I had priced three months ago and it was never accounted for in their limited allotment from the mill. I have no engineered lumber for this project until January I'm told. Kill me.

It's already hit zero. This is going to get worse before it gets better. I was just told by Dicks that they "forgot" about my 4000 sq ft build that I had priced three months ago and it was never accounted for in their limited allotment from the mill. I have no engineered lumber for this project until January I'm told. Kill me.
Oh mate that sucks. I just took delivery of a roof joist/beam package that I don't need for another month because of advice from supplier re availability crunch/likely price hikes. I have to carry the cost until framing draw, and it's taking up space I can ill afford, but better than no roof package when I need it.

Pushing to get next home's major lumber, truss and joist packages ordered this month and we haven't even completed DP yet (frickin ALR). 10,000 sq ft beast that will swallow the output from an entire cut block by itself.

Pretty sure it's gonna get worse before it gets better. This is more than just a covid thing.

Dicks customer service at its best. Meanwhile to the big multi family guys this last week they are quoting at 20% below cost for product they are having difficulty buying. But this is what happens when you get a Quebec Company (Rona) owned by a US Company (Lowe’s). It doesn’t have to make sense.

Dicks customer service at its best. Meanwhile to the big multi family guys this last week they are quoting at 20% below cost for product they are having difficulty buying. But this is what happens when you get a Quebec Company (Rona) owned by a US Company (Lowe’s). It doesn’t have to make sense.
Yeup you nailed it. My measly 15 years and over 4 million in business is a drop in the bucket. My salesman, Gur, said "Buddy I've got 150 clients". He then told me that because I send in actual itemized (by delivery) orders that he miseed it because everyone else just sends him plans. So because I spend the time to do his job I get the shaft.

Yeup you nailed it. My measly 15 years and over 4 million in business is a drop in the bucket. My salesman, Gur, said "Buddy I've got 150 clients". He then told me that because I send in actual itemized (by delivery) orders that he miseed it because everyone else just sends him plans. So because I spend the time to do his job I get the shaft.
So Gur makes you go Grrrr?
He’s probably shittin you. There is no way you were ever going to get pricing from 3 months ago. And the EWP shortage is real so they have to say no to somebody.

So Gur makes you go Grrrr?
He’s probably shittin you. There is no way you were ever going to get pricing from 3 months ago. And the EWP shortage is real so they have to say no to somebody.
Oh I wasn't expecting the same pricing. I had just sent the order in because I heard through other builders that orders that weren't in the system wouldn't be filled. I THOUGHT I was on top of this.

Oh I wasn't expecting the same pricing. I had just sent the order in because I heard through other builders that orders that weren't in the system wouldn't be filled. I THOUGHT I was on top of this.
I've been using the same approach. I'd be very grrr if this happened. Ugh.

And no matter how you try to explain to clients it just sounds like weak excuses.

Back