Looking at new offshore vessels. Opinions wanted.

redram99

Hi all.
New to the forum. Here is a bit about myself.
I am new to the boat ownership scene and looking to get into a new boat. I’ve charter fished quite a few times and spent a fair bit of time on my grandpas prawn boat in rivers inlet 30 years ago. Currently live inland BC and Looking to move closer to the coast in the next couple of years. I love the ocean and fishing.

I am looking at the 30’ cabin style aluminum fishing vessels. We would like to be able to comfortably overnight for 3-4 day trips and occasionally take another couple on overnight trips, room for the kids to come with us and also be able to go out for tuna!!!

As I am going to be working it will be nice to have the available cruise speed to get to our destination quickly and also able to trailer the boat behind a pickup without too much hassle.

Some of my current frontrunners are
Kingfisher offshore 3025
Weldcraft cuddy king 28
Thunder jet pilot 28
North river seahawk 29

I would appreciate any feedback on these vessels. They all look pretty awesome to me.

Any others I should be considering?

Thanks!!

I suggest following @Rain City on his post in boats wanted for $100,000. When he finds one he really likes, quickly buy it before he does.

Edit:my non-butt response is those kingfishers are amazing boats and I’ve been on a thunderjet and really liked it too.

Hi all.
New to the forum. Here is a bit about myself.
I am new to the boat ownership scene and looking to get into a new boat. I’ve charter fished quite a few times and spent a fair bit of time on my grandpas prawn boat in rivers inlet 30 years ago. Currently live inland BC and Looking to move closer to the coast in the next couple of years. I love the ocean and fishing.

I am looking at the 30’ cabin style aluminum fishing vessels. We would like to be able to comfortably overnight for 3-4 day trips and occasionally take another couple on overnight trips, room for the kids to come with us and also be able to go out for tuna!!!

As I am going to be working it will be nice to have the available cruise speed to get to our destination quickly and also able to trailer the boat behind a pickup without too much hassle.

Some of my current frontrunners are
Kingfisher offshore 3025
Weldcraft cuddy king 28
Thunder jet pilot 28
North river seahawk 29

I would appreciate any feedback on these vessels. They all look pretty awesome to me.

Any others I should be considering?

Thanks!!
Have you thought about a fibreglass boat at all? Have you spent much time in an aluminium boat offshore?

I have a Kingfisher 3025, previously had a 2825.

Great for speed and fuel economy, because they are light.

Not so great in the wind, because they are light.

Fit & Finish on the Kingfisher is better than everything else I looked at.
Also Kingfisher has thought out a lot of the little things that other manufacturers haven't, from what I've seen.

One suggestion I'd make for sure is get twins instead of a larger single. The ride is better with the twins.

Glass is a nicer/more comfortable ride when pounding offshore. But Aluminum has many more benefits that are important to me, and I don't spend a lot of time pounding offshore in rough conditions. Feel free to PM me if you have questions etc.

I'm thinking of selling the 3025 to move up to a larger boat for next year.

First off, if you have similar hull weight and hull form, aluminum and glass boats will have similar rides. That is why I discount all but heavy plate built aluminum boats for serious offshore work. Stick with boats like North River, Eagle Craft, Silver Streak, or a long list of custom builders that build heavy plate aluminum boats. I have a custom built 28’ deep vee (21 degree deadrise), heavy plate aluminum boat that was made in the states and it’s ride is as good or better than any glass boat in the same size range. You can have your cake and eat it too! I guess the only downside is a heavy deep vee aluminum boat will have a bit higher fuel burn than some of the lighter gauge tinners but it is nice not getting your brains beat out in heavy seas. The only one on your list that makes the cut is the North River (fomerly Almar) and they have being building true offshore hulls since the 80’s. The others on your list are lighter gauge and or more of a modified river boat hull form.

Last edited:
Back