Lingcod Questions / Help

live bait is king, outfishes everything else by a long shot , especially in the southern strait where they see hundreds of your swimbaits every week, and i find them to be picky as the season progresses. 8 trips last year across to the gulf island and came back with limits every time . a 8 - 10” sanddab gets smoked almost as soon as it hits bottom , get some massive copper rockfish doing this aswell.

Pressured lings get really really picky. If you're in a place where they don't see many anglers, then definitely go with jigs and swimbaits and swing for the fences. But I know places where a decent size ling won't give artificials a cold stare. There's lots of big lings, but you'd never know it unless you get serious in your approach. If they get super pressured then they will only eat a perfectly presented perfect live bait, and only when the tide is running just right. In those situations, slack tide is not your friend. Pressured lings need to see that thing go flying by and then make a bad split second decision. If they get to stare at it for awhile they'll never eat. Don't ask me how I know this, lots and lots of effort, and lots of failures, and patterning the successes. I think ling fishing is the funnest damn thing, but can also be the most frustrating!

fb

live bait is king, outfishes everything else by a long shot , especially in the southern strait where they see hundreds of your swimbaits every week, and i find them to be picky as the season progresses. 8 trips last year across to the gulf island and came back with limits every time . a 8 - 10” sanddab gets smoked almost as soon as it hits bottom , get some massive copper rockfish doing this aswell.
Where would a fellow acquire live sand dab ?

Pressured lings get really really picky. If you're in a place where they don't see many anglers, then definitely go with jigs and swimbaits and swing for the fences. But I know places where a decent size ling won't give artificials a cold stare. There's lots of big lings, but you'd never know it unless you get serious in your approach. If they get super pressured then they will only eat a perfectly presented perfect live bait, and only when the tide is running just right. In those situations, slack tide is not your friend. Pressured lings need to see that thing go flying by and then make a bad split second decision. If they get to stare at it for awhile they'll never eat. Don't ask me how I know this, lots and lots of effort, and lots of failures, and patterning the successes. I think ling fishing is the funnest damn thing, but can also be the most frustrating!

fb

couldn’t have said this any better

also thought i would include this post i made awhile back the best rig we have found .

0E02DCFA-FEBE-4966-96ED-054485DF6163.png

Last edited:

fb
Well said , but you forgot ...the damn best thing since sliced bread ...when your on !! haha

any sandy / gravely bottom 50’ -100’, sabiki rig with tiny herring bits
Are you aloud to set up with a herring jig like that and and catch more that one at a time? I just checked the regs and they don't seem to be on the list. They are the best ling bait by far IMO.

How do you rig the sand dab so the ligs get hooked up, but they flutter around for a dont die right away? And are you more or less mooching them?
Sorry I don’t know? Ive never tried them for bait. We caught a few one afternoon when we were just hanging out floating around in the bay. I was using a small hook, sliding sinker a swivel and some floating power bait.

How do you rig the sand dab so the ligs get hooked up, but they flutter around for a dont die right away? And are you more or less mooching them?
Yes just mooch them. I put out a rod with a lighter weight and an anchovy in a teaser head like your trolling for salmon when anchored for Halibut. It sits way behind the Hali gear. Get the odd Hali on it too.
You can catch whatever prey fish are around and then fish them under the boat.

Post spawn...the smaller jigs can be $$$$, pulls them outta their hidey holes when the larger baits wont work...
The swimbaits are for sure the bomb, they out fish almost every time we try keeping stats...no one wants to use a regular jig anymore
I love fishing for Lingcod!
One thing they are a sucker for is live bait. when we were kids we fished off the dock at Egmont and used live shiners we caught with small hooks and bacon. We would just rig them up with a small weight and send them to the bottom. One day my cousin decided to cast his live shiner way out. He set his rod down to fish for more shiners. A moment later we watched his rod fly off the dock and go zooming through the water! Most likely a Salmon picked it up.

Big lings will swallow a bait fish whole without really hooking up. Reel them up and they will hold on like a bull terrier - until the moment their head breaks the surface. Be ready with the gaff or they'll head straight back to the bottom. All is not lost though, drop the gear again because I've seen them hit it on the drop to the bottom. Those big lings are eating machines.

Big lings will swallow a bait fish whole without really hooking up. Reel them up and they will hold on like a bull terrier - until the moment their head breaks the surface. Be ready with the gaff or they'll head straight back to the bottom. All is not lost though, drop the gear again because I've seen them hit it on the drop to the bottom. Those big lings are eating machines.

I always reel lings in nice and slow near the surface for this reason. Also be ready with the net because on occasion there is a larger ling following along and it can be scooped up unsuspectingly.

I fish mostly in Haida Gwaii, and aside from a couple of hard-fished areas, the lings don't see much pressure. My go-to lure for years has been a 7-ounce Gibbs Minnow, but they don't seem to make them anymore. (LET ME KNOW if anyone knows a source!!!!) I prefer to fish reefs that come up as shallow as 30 feet from the surface, drifting across the top, then bouncing down the dropoff to 120 feet or so. For obvious reasons involving hooking Canada instead of a fish, drifting from deep to shallow is a bad idea. The fluttering action of the Minnow is far more effective than the more bullet-shaped jigs that have become popular lately. I'm not trying to reach great depths, so a fast drop isn't my aim. Swimbaits are my second choice.

A very effective form of "live bait" fishing is to jig a smallish black rockfish from the annoying schools near the surface, and let the weight of the jig send it spiraling toward the bottom. Pick it up a few feet every little while to keep it active, then drop it as the depth increases. Many of the biggest lingcod I've caught had large rockfish in their stomachs, so one in distress looks like lunch. (I don't see many sand-dabs in our rocky lingcod habitat.) It's rare to actually hook the lingcod on the rockfish, but a lingcod usually grabs a rockfish across the body, squeezes it to death, then turns it to swallow it headfirst so the spines are lying flat and not gagging the ling.

Because of that ingrained process, and because lingcod are not very bright, lings are reluctant to let go of a fish they've captured. You need to be ready to gaff them just as they come into reach, because they aren't hooked. It's not at all uncommon to have a larger or even similar-sized ling latch onto the tail of the ling that's latched onto the rockfish. Several times, we've gaffed two lings, neither of which was actually hooked, using this method. For the same reason, if a ling does let go, lowering the bait quickly will often get him or the bigger competition to take.

That brings up the matter of ling size. My ideal ling weighs 12-20 pounds, and I'm increasingly reluctant to gaff anything bigger. The larger lings are usually mature breeding females, and they tend to load up with parasites as they age. I see lodges advertising "Trophy Ling Cod", and I shake my head.

As to tackle, I fish from smallish boats, so I use a fairly stiff 7' fiberglass rod with a Penn reel loaded with about 200' of 80# mono, backed with enough 50# braid to fill the reel in case I encounter a halibut that wants to run. I hate handling braid, abrasions in heavy mono are obvious and less likely to be terminal, and the springiness of the mono can help with unsnagging. For the novice jigger, once you know you're snagged, applying power is a bad idea! It's best to run back up-drift until your line is at a fairy shallow angle from the snag, then drift back toward it, giving little pumping jerks to dislodge the jig. If all else fails, wrap the line around a club or gaff handle, and motor slowly in the direction you drifted from. That often dislodges what you're hooked on, or straightens the hooks. The mono also tends to break at at the knot, so there's no need for a leader.

I fish mostly in Haida Gwaii, and aside from a couple of hard-fished areas, the lings don't see much pressure.

That brings up the matter of ling size. My ideal ling weighs 12-20 pounds, and I'm increasingly reluctant to gaff anything bigger. The larger lings are usually mature breeding females, and they tend to load up with parasites as they age. I see lodges advertising "Trophy Ling Cod", and I shake my head.
My feelings exactly. A few year ago we kept a 30 lber and were very disappointed in both the quality and the amount of worms etc. After that we decided our limit was 15 lb or so.

I fish mostly in Haida Gwaii, and aside from a couple of hard-fished areas, the lings don't see much pressure. My go-to lure for years has been a 7-ounce Gibbs Minnow, but they don't seem to make them anymore. (LET ME KNOW if anyone knows a source!!!!) I prefer to fish reefs that come up as shallow as 30 feet from the surface, drifting across the top, then bouncing down the dropoff to 120 feet or so. For obvious reasons involving hooking Canada instead of a fish, drifting from deep to shallow is a bad idea. The fluttering action of the Minnow is far more effective than the more bullet-shaped jigs that have become popular lately. I'm not trying to reach great depths, so a fast drop isn't my aim. Swimbaits are my second choice.

A very effective form of "live bait" fishing is to jig a smallish black rockfish from the annoying schools near the surface, and let the weight of the jig send it spiraling toward the bottom. Pick it up a few feet every little while to keep it active, then drop it as the depth increases. Many of the biggest lingcod I've caught had large rockfish in their stomachs, so one in distress looks like lunch. (I don't see many sand-dabs in our rocky lingcod habitat.) It's rare to actually hook the lingcod on the rockfish, but a lingcod usually grabs a rockfish across the body, squeezes it to death, then turns it to swallow it headfirst so the spines are lying flat and not gagging the ling.

Because of that ingrained process, and because lingcod are not very bright, lings are reluctant to let go of a fish they've captured. You need to be ready to gaff them just as they come into reach, because they aren't hooked. It's not at all uncommon to have a larger or even similar-sized ling latch onto the tail of the ling that's latched onto the rockfish. Several times, we've gaffed two lings, neither of which was actually hooked, using this method. For the same reason, if a ling does let go, lowering the bait quickly will often get him or the bigger competition to take.

As to tackle, I fish from smallish boats, so I use a fairly stiff 7' fiberglass rod with a Penn reel loaded with about 200' of 80# mono, backed with enough 50# braid to fill the reel in case I encounter a halibut that wants to run. I hate handling braid, abrasions in heavy mono are obvious and less likely to be terminal, and the springiness of the mono can help with unsnagging. For the novice jigger, once you know you're snagged, applying power is a bad idea! It's best to run back up-drift until your line is at a fairy shallow angle from the snag, then drift back toward it, giving little pumping jerks to dislodge the jig. If all else fails, wrap the line around a club or gaff handle, and motor slowly in the direction you drifted from. That often dislodges what you're hooked on, or straightens the hooks. The mono also tends to break at at the knot, so there's no need for a leader.
Hooking Canada instead of fish. Love it.

"My go-to lure for years has been a 7-ounce Gibbs Minnow, but they don't seem to make them anymore. (LET ME KNOW if anyone knows a source!!!!)"
here are some 4.5 ounce Gibbs Minnows

Back