Lingcod Questions / Help

Post spawn...the smaller jigs can be $$$$, pulls them outta their hidey holes when the larger baits wont work...
The swimbaits are for sure the bomb, they out fish almost every time we try keeping stats...no one wants to use a regular jig anymore
The only thing I'll switch to now is a Herring on a spreader bar. And only after many many attempts with the swimbaits.

A buddy of mine attached one of those underwater cameras and went jigging. You would be very surprised just how many lings are down there that come for a look but never bite. Shocking actually.

The thing that often triggers a bite is a darting movement. My wife is absolutely the best at jigging. I suck mainly because I get bored quickly and don't concentrate on a really effective natural action jig motion. She usually out-fishes me 2 or 3 to 1...so ya, I suck at it. But the best part is the aggressive bites especially using lighter gear. It can be a lot of fun, and if you get a decent fish on they can really rip line off lighter tackle.
according to your wife she always out fishes you to .. :) :) but then agian my wife out fish me also :)

is there a commercial allocation for the inside?
No, nothing inside SoG, but Area 12 yes. That is inside Area 4B.

Groundfish Management Unit (GMU) would like to remind commercial harvesters of
the following.

On April 1, 2020, retention of Lingcod will be permitted in groundfish
management areas 3C, 3D, 5A, 5B, 5C, 5D and 5E. Retention of Lingcod by hook
and line gear in management area 4B will be permitted on May 1, 2020
and only
in sub-Areas 12-1 to 12-13 and 12-15 to 12-48. (VO 2019-19 and 2019-20)

No person shall catch and retain a Lingcod that is less than 65 cm in length
(head-on), measured from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail, or head-
off, is less than 50 cm in length, measured along the shortest length of the
body to the tip of the tail. (VO 2020-21)

From November 15, 2020 until March 31, 2021 a spawning closure for the
retention of Lingcod by hook and line gear will be in effect for all areas.

For further information, or to request a copy of the Groundfish IFMP, please
contact one of the groundfish coordinators listed below.

Maureen Finn
Halibut, Hook & Line Coordinator
Groundfish Management Unit
Phone: 604-666-3279
Fax: 604-666-8525

Lindsay Gardner
Sablefish, Hook & Line Coordinator
Phone: 604-666-0912

Rob Tadey
Trawl Coordinator
Phone: 604-666-3991

Gwyn Mason
Regional FM Officer
Phone: 604-666-3244

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0278
Sent March 20, 2020 at 0827

Return to Main Menu
Date modified:2018-02-20

Secondary menu​

Fishery Notices

Post spawn...the smaller jigs can be $$$$, pulls them outta their hidey holes when the larger baits wont work...
The swimbaits are for sure the bomb, they out fish almost every time we try keeping stats...no one wants to use a regular jig anymore
Haha , Funny ....Keep using that Swim Bait, I'll use the "No one wants to use regular jigs anymore" , maybe you could drop your extras at my place, I'll take all u got ...HAHAHA

Caught a lot of lings jigging for them. Biggest ever though was caught on a 7” tomic #700 smeared with procure herring oil trolled along a rocky ledge where we usually jig for them.

If you or anyone you know has any old Pike gear Lings are all over those big wobbling spoons trolled behind a flasher-all the rest of that stuff too they aren't particular.

We just use a salmon rod and I do use a leader to the jig or swim bait that is less strength than the mainline. Swim baits on the east side of the east side of the island and lead jigs on the west side have been very productive for me.

A lot of good info here:

Something I do to save on gear when drifting over reefs is start in the shallowest spot and drift into deeper water re finding bottom as I go. Using the sounder/ GPS with the snail on so I can keep track of the areas I have worked or go back over a spot that I have missed a good hit. I only use mono for main line (40lb) much easier to snap off when the gear gets snagged and the boat is drifting, you are going to get snagged its just part of it the fish are on the bottom! As well, I find bait (big bait = big fish) all ways out fishes jigs but you will go though a lot.

40 lb braid will break off same as 40 lb mono and you'll get more action on your jigs because less stretch.

Good to know, thx. I have some big old jigs that were handed down to me. Will give those a good try before I dive into Swimbaits. If the jigs work, good enough. Will save my money for beer. ;)
inexpensive Raw Bacon on the hook. the more sour the better

Back