Lingcod Jaw Mount

ILHG

Crew Member
So, I sent my lingcod head away to get the jaw mounted. After looking into it i found out there is no one who will actually use the real head & jaws when they do taxidermy. Its always a fiberglass replica. For me this is the best part as its what makes lingcod so awesome.

Its unreal the work that goes into this. The jaw is held together in a few different places with cartilage. He removes all the marrow & organic tissue from the bones to prevent rotting & smell. He also has to put 90% of the teeth back in place. Some of the teeth are in rough shape & need to be fixed up. Its a puzzle to put them back together again. I was fortunate enough that i was sent pics as the job progressed. It definitely gives you an appreciation.

Interesting with this one was the fact it had a broken jaw that was just starting to heal & develop scare tissue. He told me that he has seen that before with Lingcod. They bite onto something to big & it bucks them around eventually breaking there jaw. However, even with a broken jaw these dragons dont miss a beat.

He tracked me down a case for it & will be sending it back to me on Friday. I cant wait to get it home.

Attachments

• prep work & puzzle.jpg
    prep work & puzzle.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 266
  • Teeth.jpg
    Teeth.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 247
  • Ling 1.jpg
    Ling 1.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 257
  • Before Clear coat.jpg
    Before Clear coat.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 264
  • Ling Jaw Final.jpg
    Ling Jaw Final.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 292
Cool stuff, that's an awesome mount.

So I take it you did find a guy that works with the real thing then right ?

Yes sir. Very few who do. The person i found is in California & does lots off them. His businessmen is "Cali Ling King". Reasonable price to. It was $300 to get it done

That's not bad at all for how time consuming that project is.

Nice one ILHG.

I wish I would have saw this thread before last summer ! I would have loved to get this one done. 46.2 lbs, I could not believe the head.

Attachments

• 7E7F216F-D901-4396-B900-DB1A2A011EA9.jpeg
    7E7F216F-D901-4396-B900-DB1A2A011EA9.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 134
It’s actually really easy to do. Leave it out in the sun to dry. The flys will pretty much take care of it or you can do it like the Europeans and boil the **** out of it and scrape all the meat off. Been doing it for years.

I wish I would have saw this thread before last summer ! I would have loved to get this one done. 46.2 lbs, I could not believe the head.

What a bucket mouth!

I was thinking of doing this with a large dogfish but never have. Thought it would look cool. Might do it after we get settled in on the island.

Very nice work @ILHG. Did you have any problems shipping it across the border? Hopefully no problems getting it back across as well.

Oly

I was thinking of doing this with a large dogfish but never have. Thought it would look cool. Might do it after we get settled in on the island.

Very nice work @ILHG. Did you have any problems shipping it across the border? Hopefully no problems getting it back across as well.

Oly

No problems shipping at all. It was stopped and opened by customs & then sent on it's way. Hopefully coming back is as smooth. Stay tuned

Yes sir. Very few who do. The person i found is in California & does lots off them. His businessmen is "Cali Ling King". Reasonable price to. It was $300 to get it done
Was it 300 including the case?

Back