lack of decent boats for sale ??

I'm not really sure what this thread is getting at--maybe it should read --no decent boats at knock down give away bargains!!! Look at the price of an outboard today-add in all the taxes and fees-It is totally understandable why there are few boats available for less than 10K. There are project boats to be had for sure-but sometimes they will cost you more than a well looked after newer model. Case in point-guy repowers an older model boat Puts on power with extra warranty-power costs him 20k boat is a 2000- he is not going to sell that boat 2 years later for a knock down price. Be realistic-do your homework and hope to get a good boat at a fair price!! You sometimes get what you pay for!! Just sayin!

I'm not really sure what this thread is getting at--maybe it should read --no decent boats at knock down give away bargains!!! Look at the price of an outboard today-add in all the taxes and fees-It is totally understandable why there are few boats available for less than 10K. There are project boats to be had for sure-but sometimes they will cost you more than a well looked after newer model. Case in point-guy repowers an older model boat Puts on power with extra warranty-power costs him 20k boat is a 2000- he is not going to sell that boat 2 years later for a knock down price. Be realistic-do your homework and hope to get a good boat at a fair price!! You sometimes get what you pay for!! Just sayin!
Glad I'm not the only one thinking that

that is the problem with trying to sell my wellcraft i podded last year and put the 225 verado on, or do i try harder to part the boat out?

I agree with the above however i do feel that there is a shortage of certain type of boat. Any aluminum boat 20plus feet with an alaskan cab is pretty hard to find. I had to buy new for this very reason 9 years ago and if I was no get another one now I suspect buying new would be the only option however now things are different for I know exactly what I want and I don't think I would find it second hand.

I basically took the gist of alot of this thread to be a realization that it is a sellers market now - not a buyers market (like it was 5 years ago) Simple as that. Does knowing that help buyers feel any better?.....no, but it may help in their buying process to know this is the case . Comparing back to 2011/2012 when our dollar was par the competition draw in going south instead was just too attractive that many wouldn't even look at a boat here (unless you didn' care that you'd pay up to 50% more plus have fraction of brand/model choices). Now of course due to our dollar presently being worth diddily and the fact that boats down south have also climbed in price ( comparing a hull and pwr that has been used the same number of years since new) there are now more people looking locally on this side of the border......more demand here, less supply here, higher prices here......a sellers market here now.

What you mentioned about higher prices for an outboard today and why there aren't many packages for under 10K makes alot of sense of course but it does go to a bit of an extreme when buyers may know a used boat/motor that sold 3-4 years ago for 8K and that same exact boat with same pwr ( and 4 years of accumulated hours) and same electronics now sells for 11 K! That certainly would be discouraging for the buyers out there now. It is what it is as you are kind of saying I think. I suppoese that if one is buying now they will need to get used to it. The guys waiting for that bargain boat, may just be waiting a little longer than they had hoped.

.......because of low interest rates. Didnt use to be that way. Everyone seems to drive and own new crap nowadays. How many rusty trucks you see driving around these days.

Back