lack of decent boats for sale ??

20 yr loan at 6% on an asset that depreciates to about 15% of its original value in that term! Manufactures may have found a way to keep the lights on but is that sustainable?

Can you imagine how much you have paid for a 20 yr "loan" on a boat..... at 6 % over 20 years do the match it will hurt badly!!!!!!! problem in most want top end boat for there first one no one wants to or do the time to fix up a used one or dont know how we have kinda lost touch with that aspect in life its easier to just go buy a new one.....
Funny, one of the things I love about this forum is the DIY mentality of most of the members. Most of us work on our own equipment, install and wire in new accessories, some even fabricate entire new assemblies or invent/modify gear or fixtures to solve problems. I think it's a very refreshing change from the 'get a new one' attitude across most of the community.

A) 10 year old Aluminum boat for 30k+ with the real possibility of a repower in the near future (Extra 15k), or other various issues.

B) Borrow the extra 30k, payments are low for when times are bad, but you can always pay off earlier. You have new/reliable everything with warranty.

C) Borrow the whole 60k and as long as you make more than 6% on your money, your styling with a new reliable floater. Anyone not making more than 6% on your money for you should be fired.

My 2c

Can you imagine how much you have paid for a 20 yr "loan" on a boat..... at 6 % over 20 years do the match it will hurt badly!!!!!!! problem in most want top end boat for there first one no one wants to or do the time to fix up a used one or dont know how we have kinda lost touch with that aspect in life its easier to just go buy a new one.....

My brother in law is a trades teacher in Vancouver and says every crop of new students is the same. No one wants to get their hands dirty anymore. All kids these days want is to be computer programmers. When he asks who's gonna build houses or run wires they've had the same answer for the last three years. " we'll build robots to do it!"

I know a ton of fishermen and I can't think of one that has bought a brand new boat(other than a couple of guides).Maybe it's a class distinction,I know mostly trades people,middle class I guess.But we sure are innovative as "sly-karma" say's we rebuild,repower,reinvent used boats and do our own maintenance whenever possible.When maintenance is @$100 an hour and the new price of boats is out of sight, I don't see that changing soon. When I can't do my own maintenance anymore it will be my time to get out of fishing/boating,no other choice.

Back to Scott's original question I check out used Vic and craigslist daily watching for hourstons or de with a thought of always upgrading a couple of feet I've seen 1 05 182 hourston and a couple of 185 de s that would have been worth looking at in about 3 years I bought a 176 de last year by seeing it in a carport unused for a while really tough boats to find

I know a ton of fishermen and I can't think of one that has bought a brand new boat(other than a couple of guides).Maybe it's a class distinction,I know mostly trades people,middle class I guess.But we sure are innovative as "sly-karma" say's we rebuild,repower,reinvent used boats and do our own maintenance whenever possible.When maintenance is @$100 an hour and the new price of boats is out of sight, I don't see that changing soon. When I can't do my own maintenance anymore it will be my time to get out of fishing/boating,no other choice.
Not many guides can make enough money guiding to pay for a new boat. They would have to be financially independent outside of the business.

I figure someone is going to reinvent the small boat in my lifetime. Slower, cheaper and more fuel efficiency will be the name of the game.

I figure someone is going to reinvent the small boat in my lifetime. Slower, cheaper and more fuel efficiency will be the name of the game.

In that case I'm ahead of my time with the 1977 17' Boston Whaler with a 2003 tiller 50hp 4s Merc and a 1997 15hp honda kicker. $25/day for fuel, $40 if I go to Big Bank on a nice day. Freezer is still half full.
I'm thinking used 23' Panga if the stars ever align for the same cheapskate reasons.

^ haha maybe I'm ahead of the curve too! 1980 Lund 19.5 with its original power. Not really underpowered at 140 but 4 mpg on a good day And the 9.9 4 stroke troller takes weeks to empty its 3 gallon tank.

I'm in the "same boat" so to speak. Haha. 1978 Campion Alert. 1990 140hp main. 1999 Yamaha 6 kicker. Cheap, reliable and does what I need it to.

Sorry, 90, 4 stroke.. The one on the hurston listed above
That should be a great package. Lots of people think you need a ton of power due to the time they had four big guys and a cooler full of fish on board. Truth is most of the time it is just two people on a boat and when you try going 30mph it's just too rough.

Lots of boats just sitting in driveways. Post exactly what you are looking for on Craigslist or Usedvictoria and it will likely find you.

Meanwhile when your house is up for remortgage get an extra XXk. With mortgage rates under 3% and some outboard warranties going to 10 years it might be time to buy new.

Mine will be available on the market this year. Going bigger...

Every since I bought my 17.5 Marlin Glascraft couple years ago now I have yet to see one as fish ready etc for the price range I paid as well ($3500 loaded with gear and kicker and trailer etc.), all the good deals im sure have been scooped for sometime and guys like myself and others are just hanging onto them currently because as stated above cheaper to maintain and still nice to fish out of! But like anything for the right price anything is for sale! ;) haha

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/boa/5987259869.html there is a 16' double eagle looks a little rough... but the power is newer etc could be worth it?

https://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/boa/5979259796.html

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...rd/1189770483?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Last edited:
If a boat is truly set up ready to fish, as in salmon trolling that most of us here are into, then expect to pay a good chunk of cash over the hull/power value. I know I typically scan the age and material of the hull and the size,type and age of power and make a quick judgement. I shouldn't be so flip, because I do know it takes a good bit of time and money to acquire, install and set up that gear. Kicker engine needs proper mount and prop guard, plus electrical, fuel supply and steering connections. Downriggers need mounts, wiring and fuses/breakers, plus cannonballs and appropriate rod holders. Then there's electronics - most of us will expect to see sonar, GPS and VHF, but the time and money doesn't stop after the shiny boxes are purchased. Each of those needs accessories like transducers and antennas, and again all the wiring that goes with it, plus the hull, dash and deck penetrations that all need sealing. The list of extra goodies goes on... rod holders/rocket launchers, cannon ball holders, anchor setup. cleaning table, bait well, cooler storage, second battery and wiring, it goes on and on.

If most of the stuff on that list is done, then there's several thousand dollars' worth of work and materials added to the boat.

If people don't buy new small boats anymore then no wonder the existing ones become rare and expensive. Most of the 17' models came from the late 70s to late 80's era - that's when even pros like Rollie Rose guided out of such platform - following that the Trophy and Striper wave hit and most switched to 19'+ boats. So that leaves one looking for a 17' with only 30-40 year old boats that either need a near full rebuilt and repower or a suicidal attitude. And if someone has gone through the process of properly rebuilding one of these old 17' with all the personal customizations then he/she is unlikely to let go of this personalized rejuvenated gem. I did 3 years ago and my 17.5' Campion was gone within few days for full asking price outside the traditional selling season.

I think you're right Chris, even though smaller boats are still in demand
the manufacturing cost's aren't much different than a bigger model.
New 17' Arima or D.E.'S are now in the $40K range + Tax (boat,motor,trailer only)
Very nice but not affordable for everyone.

If people don't buy new small boats anymore then no wonder the existing ones become rare and expensive. Most of the 17' models came from the late 70s to late 80's era - that's when even pros like Rollie Rose guided out of such platform - following that the Trophy and Striper wave hit and most switched to 19'+ boats. So that leaves one looking for a 17' with only 30-40 year old boats that either need a near full rebuilt and repower or a suicidal attitude. And if someone has gone through the process of properly rebuilding one of these old 17' with all the personal customizations then he/she is unlikely to let go of this personalized rejuvenated gem. I did 3 years ago and my 17.5' Campion was gone within few days for full asking price outside the traditional selling season.

Do you ever regret selling it? Was your boat called "Red Hot"? I kick around the idea of selling mine occasionally and remind myself about when I had a 22' bayliner skagit. I find I use my smaller boat alot more and for trips further from home.

I found a weldcraft 185 renegade after I sold my lifetimer but it took about 4 years of searching. I found it at a reasonable price and jumped on it, before that if I was to find a decent boat they were gone in a day or two then I'd see the same boat reposted a few days later for about 5k more.

Back