kayak fishing

I use a shark hook on a short length of wood handle as my primary gaff. Works great for all fish.

I made myself a halibut harpoon, although I haven't actually used it yet. It's much like the commercial ones: a sharp spear that seperates from a shaft and handle. Attached to the tip is a steel cable, with a length of rope attached to a float. Once speared, the cable goes through the fish, with the tip lying flat against the opposite side of the fish so it can't fall out. The fish can then bleed out and tire or die while the float will bring it back up and mark the location, even if the fishing line breaks free or gets spit out etc.

Unfortunately, the two halibut I've caught were both from a 21.5" wide sea kayak so I had minimal room and didn't bother bringing a float, making the harpoon largely useless. I hauled the 12lb fish aboard and the 52lb fish I towed over a mile to shore and dealt with from solid footing! Looking forward to trying out the harpoon from the fishing kayak though...

That's awesome RF!I so want to get into this.After my power boat is back up and running,
this will be my next toy.Love those Hobie Outbacks!

I bet T2.I just like the whole aspect of it,especially the exercise.I think it would be a very
fulfilling way to fish,not to mention not having to pay for fuel,launch,and the low maintainence costs as well.

I'm usually good for 3 or 4 hours of pedalling ( I troll 90% of the time) on my Adventure Island. If there's wind, the sail helps to push me along. By that time, i'm physically done. I think what I love the most is the quietness of fishing from the yak but the other thing is the mobility--I can launch anywhere I can get close to the water with the truck so from Victoria to Renfrew there are many launch spots available.
T2

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya,I had thought of that as well.Like Otter Point for instance.Instead of putting in at Jock's
Dock,running 20 mins. or so and burning 2 gals. of fuel,just back the truck up at Gordon's
Beach,drag the yak and gear to the water and your fishing in 5 mins.Beautiful!

I've seen people jigging out of touring kayaks with some success. I'm not sure about trolling out of one. I dont find them comfortable but that's just me and some sciatica pain.
T2

Back