Targeting Hali

Slabbedout

Hey not looking for spots or anything specific

Just curious if anyone cares to post some sounder photos of bottom structure or chart contours that they would target Hali on ? I typically look for spots that go from flat to a sudden drop or hole and mud/ gravel for bottom

I have some decent spots but am always looking to learn and know what to look for when fishing somewhere new.

When anchoring I look for rocky bumps 100 to 200 feet with deeper water down current.
When drifting I prefer gravel over sand or mud.

Have always done well drifting. Caught our share by anchoring too but for me that’s too boring. Caught most of and my biggest two halibut trolling plugs 10’ off the bottom. Probably because I mostly troll plugs wherever I fish. My biggest halibut to date was no monster but was still a nice fish . I caught it in 80ish feet of water 20’ off bottom in a corner where the waves pushed the bait fish. IMG_7889.png

Have always done well drifting. Caught our share by anchoring too but for me that’s too boring. Caught most of and my biggest two halibut trolling plugs 10’ off the bottom. Probably because I mostly troll plugs wherever I fish. My biggest halibut to date was no monster but was still a nice fish . I caught it in 80ish feet of water 20’ off bottom in a corner where the waves pushed the bait fish. View attachment 103272
I bet if you zoom in, it'll say "Biggest Hali To Date" right on that spot. ;)

Back