kayak fishing

hemi57

hey there looking for tips on salmon fishing from a kayak i just bought a kayak and need some tips on what the best options for fishing are? also if anyone is looking for a fishing partner i am always game for a new adventure.

cheers thanks for the help al

hey there looking for tips on salmon fishing from a kayak i just bought a kayak and need some tips on what the best options for fishing are? also if anyone is looking for a fishing partner i am always game for a new adventure.

cheers thanks for the help al

If your fishing on the island then Gordon's beach in sooke I've had really good luck there. The fishing grounds are not far. Just make sure your check the wind and tides before you go out. What kayak are you fishing out of??

I've been thinking about launching off Esquimalt Lagoon Beach as it's close to my place but really, anywhere off of Vic is good right now. Launching at Esquimalt Anglers would be closer for you--they are catching plenty out front of there. I troll most of the time in my yak but fishing is good right now so jigging right on the bottom would work too.
T2

Do you just use a big slip weight for Trillin or do you have a down rigger set up I have seen a few on kayaks

What do you use hillier420 do you just job for the salmon or do you troll a flasher and stuff.?

I have a hobie revo. I haven't been out yet this year for feeder just waiting for the wind to die down. but I had real good luck in the summer and the fall. I have hooked up a down rigger with a 5 lbs ball and had luck with anchovi. Tsquared pm me if your going out for feeder chinooks. See if I can get out.

I have a hobie revo. I haven't been out yet this year for feeder just waiting for the wind to die down. but I had real good luck in the summer and the fall. I have hooked up a down rigger with a 5 lbs ball and had luck with anchovi. Tsquared pm me if your going out for feeder chinooks. See if I can get out.
Will do.
T2

I wold love to have some kayak fishing buddies, its a little intimidating to go alone. Feel free to PM me if anyone wants a fishing partner.

I've tried it a few times, really pretty cool (and a decent workout), haven't caught anything yet though - not easy because where I am at, you need to paddle very far to get to a decent spot in the first place!. Very good action because you get a variable trolling speed with a kayak (for obvious reasons). We mounted a rod holder in front of the hole where you sit, so it's right in front of you and very secure.

Another thing I recommend, is one of those level-wind reels with the line counter on them (I would usually use a mooching/SA reel, but I am in a damn Kayak, it's hard enough already!), the line depth counter really helps vs setting depth by pulls, especially if you know the area, and have a big weight on your line (Ie: no downrigger obviously) - Another recommendation, if you use a big flasher, you get too much drag on the side you have the rod down on. I use one of those mini Hot-spot flashers usually with a spoon, makes paddling in a straight line more easy!

The looks people give you are priceless... One day if I actually get a fish on I bet it's going to be one hell of a thrill, make sure you wear a life jacket! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wold love to have some kayak fishing buddies, its a little intimidating to go alone. Feel free to PM me if anyone wants a fishing partner.
I'll give you shout sometime --always looking for fishing partners.
T2

I do a lot of yak fishing. Once you start, you realize how much fun it is.

I did not buy an expensive model but it works quite well. Mine is a 10ft Pelican converted. I have three rod holders, a fish finder and anchor setup. The transducer is removable for when I paddle in the shallows. I also have a lake troller down rigger and use a 3-5 pound cannon ball. Due to lack of real speed, a 10lb ball ain't needed.

My yak has been slimed from Florida to here. Rivers, lakes and oceans. Been pulled around by a number of species, too. That said, I strongly suggest you carry a portable VHF radio, and other safety equipment you'd use on any other boat. I also suggest float bags. I've seen a few yaks roll and take on water quickly.

In fact, last year, a yaker near me rolled over. The fella couldn't swim, had no safety gear. I paddled to help and he damn near rolled me over. I had my radio and was able to call for some help. My vest is the manually inflatable one. Its small, light weight and will not go off with water from paddle splash.

Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.

Here's my set up on my Hobie adventure island when I was rigging it a few years ago. I made the wooden bench to rest on my outrigger arms and put my downrigger, fishfinder/plotter and rod holder on it kind of temporarily until I figured out where I wanted to mount them on the yak but after I used it that way for a while, I decided I liked it and left it as is. Having my dad's old downrigger on the haka eliminates any strain on the hull. You can see the neighbourhood boat inspector in the pic--I don't know how good he is but he works for peanuts.
image_zpsa2bdef7b.jpg

Here's a pic from last summer at Otter Point.
046_zpscc5c64e9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ts2, cool ride,could be an interesting cut plug platform...;)

Ts2, cool ride,could be an interesting cut plug platform...;)
Sammy--re the cutplugging--I think so too and I tried it last summer once or twice but I haven't cutplugged since Eric Philbrook used to take me to Porlier as a teenager in the 70's. We nailed lots of fish but Eric used to do all the rigging. I think I just have to do it enough to gain confidence in the method.
T2

Here's my set up on my Hobie adventure island when I was rigging it a few years ago. I made the wooden bench to rest on my outrigger arms and put my downrigger, fishfinder/plotter and rod holder on it kind of temporarily until I figured out where I wanted to mount them on the yak but after I used it that way for a while, I decided I liked it and left it as is. Having my dad's old downrigger on the haka eliminates any strain on the hull. You can see the neighbourhood boat inspector in the pic--I don't know how good he is but he works for peanuts.
image_zpsa2bdef7b.jpg

Here's a pic from last summer at Otter Point.
046_zpscc5c64e9.jpg

Nice looking rig. How big of a sea do you feel comfortable out in?

Back