kayak fishing

FWIW both salmon I've caught this summer from the kayak have been on a red Kite-tail flasher. I put a LOT more mileage on a green triangular one like T2 mentions as well as an 8" hotspot and mini hotspot with no luck on those. I put a report in the Sooke reports...but was glad to get this 4lb Coho today just off Gordon's beach on the kitetail, 30" leader to bloody nose anchovy.

Crab stuffed Coho filets for dinner!

100_0001.jpg

Heading out tomorrow morning from Gordon's beach to look for Coho if anyone wants to join? I'm assuming that's the closest launch to get into the deep water that it sounds like everyone is having good luck in (400ft+)?

Wind forecast looks good, slack current at 8:30 am and workable flood all morning.

Any thoughts on better kayak accessible deep coho waters from anyone?

Hey C-J--I'd love to join you but I have to work. I had a line in the water commuting in the yak across the mouth of Esquimalt harbour to the Angler's ramp this morning but didn't catch anything. I think Gordon's is as good as anywhere to access the deep coho water. The put in just west of 3rd rock at Otter might be marginally closer to the deep water. Good luck!
T2

Normally I'd be game, C-J... But unfortunately already have plans for tomorrow. Any other day, give me a little advanced notice and I'll arrange a trip down!

Hi guys...I'll try to get better about giving some notice! Since I leave close to Gordon's Beach I've been basically playing it by ear, checking BWD forecast the day before and wind conditions in the morning from bed!

I threw a report in Sooke reports today...in summary, 5 hours under beautiful conditions off Otter Pt and despite working hard to find coho out deep where they are "supposed" to be I found one in tight on my way back to the launch.

I was out with a buddy in his power boat yesterday and we got our 4 coho off Becher Bay. I was out in my kayak today off Secretary, no luck in the morning, had 2 strikes after lunch, one really pulled the whole boat back it seemed, but neither stuck. Fishing about 12 ounces from rod. I only have an ocean kayak so I make the best of it. Hey tsquared, we met at Muir creek a few weeks ago when my wife and I saw you packing up. Anyway, I would like to go out more, but I'm not sure about going alone. Yes, I can do a self rescue if I have to but there is a safety thing about going alone, so the more the merrier. Do you guys go out alone mostly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyee--Nice to hear from you--I remember meeting you at Muir. I do go out alone but I have a sit on top which is more stable than a SINK and I never go out in very challenging conditions or currents. I always like company though and try and drum up fellow yakkers to go. As C-J says, sometimes you make a quick decision to go when conditions are right which doesn't give much lead time to find company.
T2

I had a bad incident once so I don't go out alone either. I always make sure there is at least one other person out with me. That and my Nucanoe is so heavy I always need a hand getting it on and off the roof. Went out with my buddy on the weekend, and we caught 11 lings of which 3 were legal and we kept a 17lb and 9lb Ling, we also threw back a rockfish and greenling. Sadly I had no camera, but I have a canoe full of blood, vomit, and fish excrement to prove it. Seems I have to wash my nucanoe after every trip.

Daryl

drmadcow: Let me know if you want to head out for bottom fish again sometime. I'm happy to lend a hand with your Nucanoe in exchange for some learning on how to fish for Lings:) I've been out in the salt only for salmon and only incidentally caught tiny Ling or bottomfish.

C-J: Sounds good, sadly Lings close this weekend East of Sherringham Point. That being said I'm trying to plan a trip towards end of October to hit Jordan River, but the weather really has to be optimal to fish it. Less likely to catch lings out there (but it is possible), and more likely to catch Halibut. But I suspect Halibut will be even more fun to catch in a canoe / kayak, lings just run down (that 17lb took around a 50 foot run for his first run) but Halibut should be able to pull you a bit.

From my experience with catching halibut from a kayak, they don't give much of a fight until they're close to the surface. Mostly they just feel like you're hauling up an old boot, but with the occasional flick to remind you that it is, indeed, a fish. The fun starts when you get them within 10-20 feet of the surface (maybe they're sensitive to the light?). And, of course, the landing part is always an adventure. But if anyone is planning a trip for halibut, ling, salmon or anything else, I'm always happy to lend a hand and spend a day on the water!

Probably depends on the size... I caught a 50lb hali this year trolling and it ran so hard initially I was having issues getting the rod out of the holder. Dunnno if I'd want one much bigger than that though in my canoe. Luckily JR is only about 70 feet deep so smaller ones more likely.

OK...I'm in for JR halibut pretty much anytime once some gear gets here from online order.

Anyone have thoughts on what size of buoy do you need to attach to your hand gaff for halibut? I'll be using a hand held shark hook attached to 20ft of rope with buoy...

OK...I'm in for JR halibut pretty much anytime once some gear gets here from online order.

Anyone have thoughts on what size of buoy do you need to attach to your hand gaff for halibut? I'll be using a hand held shark hook attached to 20ft of rope with buoy...

I don't bother with a buoy, but I'm not expecting to catch anything large. I just have a shark hook on 5 feet of rope. In the boat we usually hold the rope on halis up to 60 lbs so I'm not too concerned, and I don't expect to catch anything large. If you need some gear I've got some homemade jigs I'd could give you, there nothing special infact they are my initial rejects :D But they seem to work okay jigging.

What weather source are you guys using for trying to plan your trips to JR?

I use Surf Forecast for JR Weather and Wind. And for current the Juan De Fuca entrance on T Bone Tide (do a Graphic Plot), it is a ways off but I think it is the closest current station. From what I can see the currents will be best on the October 18th from about 8AM to 3PM. I haven't fished the outside waters much so what kind of currents do you guys prefer? The weekend before goes up to 1.5 Knots so I thought that might be a little fast for people paddling. From what I've seen the current matters more on the inside waters running along land, and pinches like Cattle Point.

Thanks KK. I'll borrow a float off my neighbor who has a bunch tied to his garden fence!

I'm nervous about holding a thrashing halibut on a rope in the yak...but have never tried it so maybe it's fun.

My thought is to hook 'em with this and let them wipe themselves out pulling the buoy around while I get organized and ready to deal with them.

All theoretical at this point.

Any thoughts on the best gaff target on the off chance that I ever catch one?

Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 8.41.24 PM.jpg

I would use a solid foam crab float.

If you can I'd try getting it through the mouth and out the top of the head. For catching Lingcod I've found this best, you want to avoid softer tissue as with all the thrashing they can shed the hook (I had this happen once with a Ling). One thing I will say about thrashing fish is they are the source of most of the water that ends up in my canoe.

Back