Juneau vs Anchorage.

A

ashtonspoutine

Who's been where?
Is there a city that has better fishing than the other?
Or is Alaska just damn good anywhere you go?

I forgot to put specifics.

I meant if chartering a boat. Is there a big difference between the cities if targeting halibut and salmon?

Ahh... you may want to start by consulting a map: Anchorage is not even on the ocean. But Anchorage does tend to be the starting point for most Alaskan fishing adventures because it's where the major airlines land. ;)

I have fished alaska,but not very far inside the border.I fished a place called dundas island,in the portland cannel near stewart.The 3 of us went for halibut one morning,landed 6 in 3 hours.Smallest was 45,biggest was 70lbs.

GIMP: SITKA seems to be the place to be. I read that a few places online. Have you been?

New Generation: Did you charter?

Really what Im trying to figure out is its its worth the ferry + drive from anchorage to the South East of Alaska, or anywhere else around Alaska. Im going to be in Anchorage for 2 months from June to July.

So if you've been there, please let me know how it was and where you were.

quote:Originally posted by Red Monster

Ahh... you may want to start by consulting a map: Anchorage is not even on the ocean.

What happened to the ocean! Damn, it was right there last august when I was there.

[B)]
Anchorage is at the end of cook inlet in the gulf of alaska. Pacific ocean.

I've been there many many times. My dad lives in anchorage. There are countless fishing opportunties throughout alaska. Some right in anchorage, like Ship creek. Plus a ton of great fishing within a short drive, especially down to the Kenai peninsula.

The Kenai is an awesome area and you can literally fish for just about everything there. Trout fishing in the many lakes. Chance at trophy sized King salmon up to 70lbs and beyond in the Kenai and Russian rivers and their tributaries. Huge cohos, but they call them Silvers. Halibut out of Seward Or Homer as well as humongous ling. The Kenai would be where you can spend your weekends fishing you heart out.

There are also several outfits at Hood lake in anchorage where you can do float plane fly-in trips. They drop you off at a trophy lake on friday and come back and get you on sunday. They have tent-cabins and boats and motors on these lakes for you to use.

It's endless. It's awesome! Let me know what you like to do for fishing and I'll give you some recomendations.

Sorry Ash. You sounded like an add for Alaska and I had to give it a HeeHaa. We in BC get tired of getting knocked by Alaska sometimes, and when an opportunity arrises(spelling?) to give a friendly jest to the guys North of us, we take it. No offence intended. I should of left my post with a couple of :D:D instead.

Butthead, Anchorage is a long ways from the Gulf of Alaska, but as you've noticed, there's river fishing in Anchorage. Did you fish in the salt in Anchorage last August? Are there any saltwater fishing charters in Anchorage? Are there any big saltwater marinas in Anchorage? I didn't notice any last time I was there but maybe you did. ;)

If you're in Anchorage for two months, you will no doubt want to check out Homer, a few hours away. Tons of hali and salmon charters in the chuck. But as was mention by that Butt person [8D], the fishing on the Kenai River is outstanding. In Soldotna (between Anchorage and Homer) there's a little museum with supposedly the world's largest sport-caught salmon, a real hog taken in the Kenai River. And you will be there in the prime-time for all the salmon, you lucky %&^#@!

quote:Originally posted by Red Monster

Butthead, Anchorage is a long ways from the Gulf of Alaska, but as you've noticed, there's river fishing in Anchorage. Did you fish in the salt in Anchorage last August? Are there any saltwater fishing charters in Anchorage? Are there any big saltwater marinas in Anchorage? I didn't notice any last time I was there but maybe you did. ;)

Wow, you show alot of maturity don't you. I never resorted to calling you names, I simply pointed out your error, as it was misinformation.

Try this. look at a map of alaska. Find the gulf of alaska, then look at the northeast section of the gulf and you will see a huge inlet called cook inlet. Follow cook inlet up to the end and lo and behold, there's anchorage. It's right where I said it would be, and that's salt water. I have $1000.00 if you then can still tell me Anchorage isn't on the chuck. Offer is open to any and all who might want to play this little game.

I have a really good feeling I will be keeping my money in my pocket on this one.

I'm not sure about any big marinas in anchorage, but you can launch your boat from anchorage. There's a great launch right at the mouth of Ship creek in downtown anchorage. Great fishing for coho in august.

Okay, if you prefer being called "Butt Ugly," lol. Butt you got me: there is some nearby saltwater ...although the real action for saltwater is a few hours away in Homer, located on the Gulf of Alaska. When you drive to Homer from Anchorage you get some great views of the inlet. You win. [8D]

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I joined this alaska fishing forum a few days ago and a lot of it is the same info you game me Butt Ugly. Thanks a million.

Seems like Ill be fishing during the week in anchorage, and will leave every single weekend until I my arms fall off. I guess if I want Halibut I must drive a few hours out, but thats ok.

Last thing Butt Ugly, did you guys ever fish for 'Sheefish' or 'freshwater tarpon'?? I read about this fish in a magazine at Chapters (while I should have been working) and I really would like to catch one now.

If you've got any info Butts please email me, Id appreciate more specific areas or charters etc.

joehorng79@gmail.com

I'd say it's all about timing in Alaska from talking to clients of ours that have been up there...a lot of hit or miss. They say they enjoyed and had a better time fishing here in BC than up there...and they all went to the "legendary" Kenai.

I will have to say they seem to have tons of monster hali's up there though...that may be one place where they seem to have us beat.

LOL!!

That is me!!!

I cant believe I wrote that. Im an idiot. A fishing idiot though...so its ok.

Yeah the response on my two posts on there were great. I got 7 PM's from guys willing to give up some info. A few charter guys as well because I asked to be contacted.

As for comparing BC to Alaska? Im not going to do that. I think doing that sort of thing is negative...

"Oh man, I know its fun out here, but ITS SOOOO much better in over there, or at this place or that place"

I hate when people do that. Takes the fun out of the moment. One thing is for sure, Ill be there for at least 8 weeks and Ill be damned if I dont have at least one day where my arms hurt from reeling in fish!!

Back