JDF Derby Shutdown

I strongly agree with including PSF in this effort, by way of the JDF Derby. The PSF is the best group for funding volunteer projects and they have always received donations from the JDF Derby. I only want to ensure that George and all the derby committee get to present this donation and get some recognition. Its a win win all round.

I will wait for instructions for my cheque then.

Once George is back in town we can find out how best to give the money.

That should be one of the easiest fights to win. The explanation to justify getting rid of nets is simple and true. It is as follows...it is with 100% certainly that any fish species that is fished commercially with a seine, drift or gill net...the fish will always loose. To keep using these methods when stocks are either in decline or on the brink of non sustainability is asinine. Keep it to that...forget the part about mentioning FN...attack the net...that is our best hope.

That should be one of the easiest fights to win. The explanation to justify getting rid of nets is simple and true. It is as follows...it is with 100% certainly that any fish species that is fished commercially with a seine, drift or gill net...the fish will always loose. To keep using these methods when stocks are either in decline or on the brink of non sustainability is asinine. Keep it to that...forget the part about mentioning FN...attack the net...that is our best hope.

X2 - Absolutely right!

I am not sure there is any fight to win, is there? Just two points:

First point… “the easiest fights to win”? How many nets are there in the Fraser River that aren't First Nations and especially those of Stó:lō Nation? The only control the government of Canada has is non-First Nations and "treaties" agreed and signed by First Nations.

Which brings up the second point... “forget the part about mentioning FN…” Yep, especially referring Stó:lō Nation! There is no one in “Canada” going tell or make the Stó:lō Nation do ANYTHING! There is NO treaty! The Stó:lō Nation have even withdrawn from treaty process! So, in other words… at this point the "Nation" of the Stó:lō and territories are being occupied the “Nation” of Canada. FYI… and right now, it happens to be more than just “nets.” Canada wants those “nets” out of the water feel free to ask, and to that I only have two words – GOOD LUCK!

And, just to let further clarify their position:
61/295. United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples

Article 25
Indigenous peoples have the right to maintain and strengthen their distinctive spiritual relationship with their traditionally owned or otherwise occupied and used lands, territories, waters and coastal seas and other resources and to uphold their responsibilities to future generations in this regard.

Article 26
  1. Indigenous peoples have the right to the lands, territories and resources which they have traditionally owned, occupied or otherwise used or acquired.
  2. Indigenous peoples have the right to own, use, develop and control the lands, territories and resources that they possess by reason of traditional ownership or other traditional occupation or use, as well as those which they have otherwise acquired.
  3. States shall give legal recognition and protection to these lands, territories and resources. Such recognition shall be conducted with due respect to the customs, traditions and land tenure systems of the indigenous peoples concerned.
Article 27
States shall establish and implement, in conjunction with indigenous peoples concerned, a fair, independent, impartial, open and transparent process, giving due recognition to indigenous peoples' laws, traditions, customs and land tenure systems, to recognize and adjudicate the rights of indigenous peoples pertaining to their lands, territories and resources, including those which were traditionally owned or otherwise occupied or used. Indigenous peoples shall have the right to participate in this process.

Article 28
  1. Indigenous peoples have the right to redress, by means that can include restitution or, when this is not possible, just, fair and equitable compensation, for the lands, territories and resources which they have traditionally owned or otherwise occupied or used, and which have been confiscated, taken, occupied, used or damaged without their free, prior and informed consent.
  2. Unless otherwise freely agreed upon by the peoples concerned, compensation shall take the form of lands, territories and resources equal in quality, size and legal status or of monetary compensation or other appropriate redress.
Article 32
  1. Indigenous peoples have the right to determine and develop priorities and strategies for the development or use of their lands or territories and other resources.
  2. States shall consult and cooperate in good faith with the indigenous peoples concerned through their own representative institutions in order to obtain their free and informed consent prior to the approval of any project affecting their lands or territories and other resources, particularly in connection with the development, utilization or exploitation of mineral, water or other resources.
Article 33
  1. Indigenous peoples have the right to determine their own identity or membership in accordance with their customs and traditions. This does not impair the right of indigenous individuals to obtain citizenship of the States in which they live.
  2. Indigenous peoples have the right to determine the structures and to select the membership of their institutions in accordance with their own procedures.
Let me help in layman’s terms… “NO TREATY = OCCUPIED WITHOUT PERMISSION”! “Canada” is "NOT" going to "tell” Stó:lō “Nation” what they can or can't do and can't make them remove anything from “their territory”! GET IT, YET!

I will again state and highly suggest stop working “against”, and start working “with” First Nations! One really might want to read the entire of the following as I assure every Chief in Canada already has:

http://www.un-documents.net/a61r295.htm

I am not sure there is any fight to win, is there? Just two points:

First point… “the easiest fights to win”? How many nets are there in the Fraser River that aren't First Nations and especially those of Stó:lō Nation? The only control the government of Canada has is non-First Nations and "treaties" agreed and signed by First Nations.

Which brings up the second point... “forget the part about mentioning FN…” Yep, especially referring Stó:lō Nation! There is no one in “Canada” going tell or make the Stó:lō Nation do ANYTHING! There is NO treaty! The Stó:lō Nation have even withdrawn from treaty process! So, in other words… at this point the "Nation" of the Stó:lō and territories are being occupied the “Nation” of Canada. FYI… and right now, it happens to be more than just “nets.” Canada wants those “nets” out of the water feel free to ask, and to that I only have two words – GOOD LUCK!

Article 28
  1. Indigenous peoples have the right to redress, by means that can include restitution or, when this is not possible, just, fair and equitable compensation, for the lands, territories and resources which they have traditionally owned or otherwise occupied or used, and which have been confiscated, taken, occupied, used or damaged without their free, prior and informed consent.
  2. Unless otherwise freely agreed upon by the peoples concerned, compensation shall take the form of lands, territories and resources equal in quality, size and legal status or of monetary compensation or other appropriate redress.
Article 32
  1. Indigenous peoples have the right to determine and develop priorities and strategies for the development or use of their lands or territories and other resources.
  2. Indigenous peoples have the right to determine the structures and to select the membership of their institutions in accordance with their own procedures.
Let me help in layman’s terms… “NO TREATY = OCCUPIED WITHOUT PERMISSION”! “Canada” is "NOT" going to "tell” Stó:lō “Nation” what they can or can't do and can't make them remove anything from “their territory”! GET IT, YET!

I will again state and highly suggest stop working “against”, and start working “with” First Nations! One really might want to read the entire of the following as I assure every Chief in Canada already has:

http://www.un-documents.net/a61r295.htm

Brilliant research, once again Charlie! And another compelling reason to work with people rather than fighting a lost battle. As a conservation measure, request that removing nets be considered.

Brilliant research, once again Charlie! And another compelling reason to work with people rather than fighting a lost battle. As a conservation measure, request that removing nets be considered.
May I also suggest writing to them and "asking"? You might also address that one to, quess who - Ernie Crey: http://www.lffa.ca/

Oh... btw, If you might want to look at the Organization Chart and Our Partners to see where DFO is listed?

a dead fish is adead fish no matter who caught it 1hundred forty four more fish on spawing grounds is better than 144 less dfo can not control natives. other users are easy to fishing derbys are a drag on the resource and do little to promote sportmanship money spent on hatcherys is only a short term solution to long term problems habitat is the real problem. look at the fraser above kamloops lined with houses all contributing to pollution of river the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing the loss of a derby is not a world shattering event no fish on spawning grounds is. stop whineing and get with it

May I also suggest writing to them and "asking"? You might also address that one to, quess who - Ernie Crey: http://www.lffa.ca/

Oh... btw, If you might want to look at the Organization Chart and Our Partners to see where DFO is listed?

Yeah - certainly not Governance. DFO gets slotted as an Administrator. Ouch! I'll send a letter to the Alliance "asking" what they are considering re: nets / conservation.
I'll report back if I get a reply.

the loss of a derby is not a world shattering event no fish on spawning grounds is. stop whineing and get with it

Thanks for your profound insights. Now how about rotate 180 degrees and make like a gull.

a dead fish is adead fish no matter who caught it 1hundred forty four more fish on spawing grounds is better than 144 less dfo can not control natives.

And who's to say those 144 fish aren't going to end up in a net and sold at the side of the road out of a cooler...

Back