JDF Derby Shutdown

bloody brutal and so sad for all the organizations that event supports. I totally feel his pain as this obviously weighs heavy on our head as well with our derby, but we just 'hope' end of July is late enough, OR, they were just doing all this jockeying to ease us into 1/day for the summer.

Dogfish derby anyone?

Tragic really! DFO puts another nail in the coffin for the South Island Culture. WTF

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/victoria/index.html

More likely 1 hatchery only or a slot size This is just a prelude to DFO giving the natives the right to the fish in the Frazer river in exchange for thier support for the Kitamat pipe line Probably all area 20 and the inside Lets wait and see This is what we are getting for giving that A hole Harper a majority

This is complete utter BS Them assholes i can tell you 01 thing if a creel survey or DFO comes up to me to ask questions there going to be told where to go and the quickest route too.
And ill bet you the FN (who take the most out of all this) havebt been touched conservation my butt F^&K them all its WAR now !!!!!

****...................................................................... driller

This is complete utter BS Them assholes i can tell you 01 thing if a creel survey or DFO comes up to me to ask questions there going to be told where to go and the quickest route too.
And ill bet you the FN (who take the most out of all this) havebt been touched conservation my butt F^&K them all its WAR now !!!!!

Yup. The greatest threat to wild salmon is certainly not sportfishers - a red herring if you'll pardon the pun. We are getting thrashed from all sides, though.

We are just an easy target because we have never been well organized or wealthy enough to lobby effectively. We are often painted as cranky and selfish - actually there's nothing further from the truth! So we get run down and blamed by the real threats to wild salmon: the big business interests like Enbridge and Marine Harvest, their political lackeys in the Harper posse and the bureaucratic puppets in DFO, Ottawa. DFO and our governments unbelievably continue to promote fish farms in spite of the evidence that they contribute disease and lice infestations to our wild fish, killing them by the thousands. Enough. We can't fight on all fronts at once due to limited resources so some of us are backing organized conservation efforts and a focused fight to get the net pens banned and have the farms transition to closed containment. It's doable.

One of the best minds researching the issues and an unbelievably committed advocate for wild salmon is Dr. Alexandra Morton. Please come out to her lecture tonight at UVic. We are hoping to develop a strategy and an action plan to get the job done. All the details are on another thread. Please consider also, a donation to her research and a possible court challenge to stop the destruction: google - salmonaresacred.org or PCWSS. (Pacific Coast Wild Salmon Society)
I thank you and our salmon will too!

For you that know me ive been saying for a very long time we needed to slam these people!!!!! 5 years ago and i was laughed and made fun of so NOW are we seeing the big picture....I cant describe how pissed i am good thing I rototilled the garden today as that got a lot of frustration out of me, THIS isnt just for me as a guide we are a minority when you look at in maybe 25 all togther working sooke and maybe that amout in renny the bulk is and always have been sportfishers like YOU AND ME anygiven day there is 100 to 200 boats out fishing as a rec angler ALL of you should be as pissed of if not more as now there cutting into what we all LOVE FISHING!!!!

JESUS when is the bleeding going to stop fishing is the one and only thing we can go do to have fun!!! and solve all world problems with your buds and maybe have a beer and shhot the shiat.....With the economy the way it is ..hydro going up/telecomunications going up/gas going up/interest rates going up/ HST which was a totla F UP and so on!!!!!!!!!!! now wages going down along with fishing.... REALLY when is it going to end wont be long before going to the bathroom will have a tax on it!!!!

eeeerrrrrr

Wolf

I am very worried about our local salmon enhancement projects who draw the majority of their funds from derby fundraising. Not only are those restrictions destroying our current sportfishery but by cutting off the only reliable funding stream from local hatcheries the future of the local stocks looks disastrous. Lose lose situation.

There is already a sewer tax that i pay. if the gov is so supportive of farmed salmon, why don't they give that to the natives for fish food. It would save a lot of the Fraser run and maybe have a look at the Fraser itself.
go for a swim Harper

For you that know me ive been saying for a very long time we needed to slam these people!!!!! ... isnt just for me as a guide we are a minority when you look at in maybe 25 all togther working sooke and maybe that amout in renny the bulk is and always have been sportfishers like YOU AND ME anygiven day there is 100 to 200 boats out fishing as a rec angler ALL of you should be as pissed off ...Wolf

X2 So (from the Alex meeting thread) "...forget about negotiating or cooperating with DFO - you are thereby totally cooperating with industry. Fishermen and wild salmon will lose with DFO - every time. They are feeding rendered animal parts to the fish and a steady stream of bullsh*t to us. We are gullible putzes to think they give a crap about us - it's about feeding us just enough allocation to shut us up. "Yassa, Massa."

They lie and deny to protect the big biz interests. DFO is all about protecting trading partners, not salmon or halibut. We're ******* and lapdogs - rolling at their feet, purring and licking! Rick Mercer says: "Canadians are afflicted with terminal niceness." Meanwhile biz as usual for Marine Harvest and Cermaq while they continually f8ck us and our world over!

So Wolf - when you're ready to stir it up, I'm also pissed off and in! But if the attendance at last night's meeting with Alex or with DFO and the hali "experiment" on Thursday is any indication of our enthusiasm, there might be all of 5 of us actin' instead of bitchin'. Just sayin' ...

My wife and I attended the outstanding presentation from Alexandra Morton. Maybe 40 people in a hall that holds 300...shame on us.!!!
Some good questions, but unless you guys get off your A_ _ nothing is going to happen!

A difficult decision to cancel the derby this year, but considering the current situation
with Fraser Chinook , I think it was the best one.
It would be very hard to plead our case as sports fishermen trying to feed our families
when the general public are viewing the derby as a fish slaughtering cash grab.
In times of plenty , by all means proceed, until then at least we can say this was a good political move.

OMG SCOTT ARE YOU FOR REAL!!! THIS IS WHY THE BLEEDING WILL NEVER STOP!!!!!its not about conservation there was maybe a 140 fish caught in the derby last year and they GOT all the data from it in one day the native takes 3 to 4 times as many fish then we do in a fricken weeknd and then they do it for the whole month i think the number is close to 500 a day "allowed" ya right.....
The best choice almost 400,000 grand in 25 years givern to salmon enhancment and the monies generated to the economy for great victoria and you think its the best choice.....WOW man sorry to say but give yer head a shake , sorry Scott I like you but your definatlly wrong on this one!!!

Wolf

I am very worried about our local salmon enhancement projects who draw the majority of their funds from derby fundraising. Not only are those restrictions destroying our current sportfishery but by cutting off the only reliable funding stream from local hatcheries the future of the local stocks looks disastrous. Lose lose situation.

BINGO!! They just killed two "fish" with one stone here.

It is a clear and concerted mandate of DFO to destroy the fishery....end of story. Their biggest threat to this is local salmon enhancement.

DFO has had this derby on their hit list for some time now and finally they have forced it out of business.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG SCOTT ARE YOU FOR REAL!!! THIS IS WHY THE BLEEDING WILL NEVER STOP!!!!!its not about conservation there was maybe a 140 fish caught in the derby last year and they GOT all the data from it in one day the native takes 3 to 4 times as many fish then we do in a fricken weeknd and then they do it for the whole month i think the number is close to 500 a day "allowed" ya right.....
The best choice almost 400,000 grand in 25 years givern to salmon enhancment and the monies generated to the economy for great victoria and you think its the best choice.....WOW man sorry to say but give yer head a shake , sorry Scott I like you but your definatlly wrong on this one!!!

Wolf

Roy, i respect your opinion
I do however believe that fishermen make up only a small part of the general population.
if we expect support in our issues then we need to show that we respect the resource.
this sacrifice is a small token of that

well the rest of bc waters gets to keep fishing for the same fish,what a kind gesture indeed ,what else can we do to help out???

The problem is Lorne ,is its not in everyones backyard like the hali issue and we all know how well that went,until it becomes a greater issue then just Vic then we seem to be screwed,,SFab had great intentions on doing something but it has fallen on deaf ears once again,frustrated sums up a lot of peoples feelings but we just cant muster up the troops for the fight we rely on our local Reps to no avail,,change is coming but for who ???

Here's what i see. We have an experimental halibut license being pushed on us, no one shows up, we have fish farms destroying our waters, no one shows up. I am starting to see why anyone that tries to.take the task of fighting, gives up. The lack of support is brutal. And that will be the death of the sportfishing industry, if it doesn't change.

Is the decision to not run the derby due to uncertainty a protest to DFO's and their inability to inform the public and businesses about future closures or restrictions?

I wonder why they would not just make it 1 week earlier?

A difficult decision to cancel the derby this year, but considering the current situation
with Fraser Chinook , I think it was the best one.
It would be very hard to plead our case as sports fishermen trying to feed our families
when the general public are viewing the derby as a fish slaughtering cash grab.
In times of plenty , by all means proceed, until then at least we can say this was a good political move.

Im backing scott on this one, that derby is an amazing effort by the organization and sponsors but with it growing year by year and smaller and smaller fish and weights coming in the general public is getting a certain message from it. If the large derbies get dropped which helps us maintain day to day fishing, im in favour of that. Perception plays a big part.

Back