JDF Derby Shutdown

it's really just a big **** up and money grabber for guides.

ARE you for REAL!!!! OMG 750 tickets sold AND i know most of the "guides" go in it for them selves!!!!!including my self and many of the freinds I know...... we are ALL sportfisherman!!!! MANY people travel from all part to go fishing with there buddies and you think its a guide derby!!!!!!What a stupid statement !!!!!!!!!!THAT derby has done so much over the years to support local fishing and all the communities around you guys just dont fricken get it!!!!we are the beginning of the web trust me it will spread and spread fast once they get a strangle hold on this area the web is going to get bigger and bigger!!!
So save a 100 fish and lose out on the greatest reward of all NO FISHING
wait till its in your backyard.......

George Wetherall is a great man who has done FANTASTIC work along with all his executive/volunteers/wives etc they are all passionate about fishing and having fun this isnt just a derby this is a social event that ALOT of people look forward to every year, this is a HUGE loss.
I personally want to thank the crew of that derby for all the years they have done Im sure they are heartbroken more than any of us!!!!this is worst than getting gut shot!!!

WOLF

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Wolf on this one.
Personally I think "waterbobber" just wants to stir the pot and should be ignored.

Can anyone tell me the hatcheries that are effected by this mess.
There is new money out there that they can submit for.
Might be a way to make up for lost funds.
GLG

The JDF Derby has been a major funding source of our local hatcheries which are supported by angler's volunteer labour. These hatcheries have put millions of Coho and Chinook into our local waters. Last I heard there was concern about killer whales liking to eat Chinook and needing more of them not less.

@Wolf...The derby helps surrounding communities?
Ya right....
The derby gets many men into hot water with their women...or men, while guides get to put extra $$ from their ridiculous hour wage hike due to derby,in the bank. Want to help MY community? Give me some street lights and a ******* sidewalk,K?

You are hilareous!!!
I will help though - if you want streetlights and a sidewalk move in from the boonies. We got electricity, running water, inside toilets and all sorts of cool stuff - like garbage collection. Stand at the curb, bud!

The sad part is that DFO states the Native take of those endangered salmon is in excess of 28,000. DFO's response has been the same the last 8 years. The only way to increase run numbers is to cut back the sporties.

During that time DFO has done nothing to enhance the number of fish in the affected systems and they have done nothing to restore habitat. No hatchery activity and no increase in water. They don't have any accurate data on stock strength or how many fry are even being produced, never mind asking how many get to salt water.

The JDF Derby has been a major funding source of our local hatcheries which are supported by anglers volunteer labour. These hatcheries have put millions of Coho and Chinook into our local waters. Last I heard there was concern about killer whales liking to eat Chinook and needing more of them not less.

I just checked and the JDF Derby is the 2nd largest private contributor to Salmon Enhancment Programs in NORTH AMERICA. It will take a lot of tax dollars to make up that loss if we want to keep feeding killer whales and not serverly damage the economy of Victoria and Sooke.

@Wolf...The derby helps surrounding communities?
Ya right....
The derby gets many men into hot water with their women...or men, while guides get to put extra $$ from their ridiculous hour wage hike due to derby,in the bank.
Want to help MY community?
Give me some street lights and a ******* sidewalk,K?

Go to the meetings out here. Look at the budget that Mr Milne approved.. Thats where your sidewalks are bud. The derby does not directly contribute to that... But the money that won't be spent is certainly not going to contribute.

Check yer facts

time to go back and kick david anderson square in the nuts. Wild Salmon policy piece of ****. The yanks make us look stupid when it comes to enhancement.

x3 for scott. looks bad to have a derby if the stock is in trouble.

The sad part is that DFO states the Native take of those endangered salmon is in excess of 28,000. DFO's response has been the same the last 8 years. The only way to increase run numbers is to cut back the sporties.

During that time DFO has done nothing to enhance the number of fish in the affected systems and they have done nothing to restore habitat. No hatchery activity and no increase in water. They don't have any accurate data on stock strength or how many fry are even being produced, never mind asking how many get to salt water.

You left out toxic run off, run of river private power projects, not to mention the strip mining of spawning gravel from our rivers.
Then there is the millions of our tax dollars wasted to prop up fish farms that should have gone to habitat restoration and Pacific salmon population enhancement. DFO may as well change their name to the Ministry of Fish Farm Promotion. It seems like it is the only thing the politicians fund them to do well.

It is bizarre to me that DFO has two mandates one to protect wild fish and the other to promote and defend Fish Farms. No conflict of interest there.
While the US government has got serious about Pacific salmon, spending billions on them, our government considers pacific salmon a nuisance that get in the way of things their backers want to do. Pacific salmon are not needed, we have farmed Atlantic salmon.

It seems like DFO only has one tool in their box. Cut back harvesting and let the sectors fight it out between them for a share of the reduced allocation. We have not done well because we are just starting to learn how to fight those battles. This also keeps us from joining forces with other sectors to force government to spend some money to add a few more tools to the box, but if we don’t fight those battles we get left in the dust.

I bash DFO a fair bit but it is not the boots on the ground local guys that are the problem it is the executives and the politicians who have corrupted their basic mission.

You left out toxic run off, run of river private power projects, not to mention the strip mining of spawning gravel from our rivers.
Then there is the millions of our tax dollars wasted to prop up fish farms that should have gone to habitat restoration and Pacific salmon population enhancement. DFO may as well change their name to the Ministry of Fish Farm Promotion. It seems like it is the only thing the politicians fund them to do well.

It is bizarre to me that DFO has two mandates one to protect wild fish and the other to promote and defend Fish Farms. No conflict of interest there.
While the US government has got serious about Pacific salmon, spending billions on them, our government considers pacific salmon a nuisance that get in the way of things their backers want to do. Pacific salmon are not needed, we have farmed Atlantic salmon.

It seems like DFO only has one tool in their box. Cut back harvesting and let the sectors fight it out between them for a share of the reduced allocation. We have not done well because we are just starting to learn how to fight those battles. This also keeps us from joining forces with other sectors to force government to spend some money to add a few more tools to the box, but if we don’t fight those battles we get left in the dust.

I bash DFO a fair bit but it is not the boots on the ground local guys that are the problem it is the executives and the politicians who have corrupted their basic mission.

Great post.

waterbobber should be layed out on a fricken sidewalk TOOL, maybe there should be no fishin in the fraser, everyone would obey the law right? i would miss seeing all those piece of **** cars selling ceremonial salmon thou.

Then there is the millions of our tax dollars wasted to prop up fish farms that should have gone to habitat restoration and Pacific salmon population enhancement. DFO may as well change their name to the Ministry of Fish Farm Promotion. It seems like it is the only thing the politicians fund them to do well. ... We have not done well because we are just starting to learn how to fight those battles. This also keeps us from joining forces with other sectors to force government to spend some money to add a few more tools to the box, but if we don’t fight those battles we get left in the dust.

Great post, Rocky! Time for us to take the gloves off and git-er-done.

Loosing the derby is a tough one. Public opinion in this fight for our access to fishing is going to make the difference ultimately for both the fish and our survival. So balancing raising money by way of a derby and conserving the fish of concern is a somewhat delicate matter. I haven't thought about this a lot yet but my first thought was to have the derby but have a restriction to not allow any fish over 30 pounds to be entered. ( as they are likely the 5-2's of concern) This means the same prizes will be won, probably gives more people a realistic chance of being in the top prizes and allows the event to continue donating to their charities. Guys the whole issue is still political BS and the restrictions that are proposed will do nothing and this issue will continue to get worse unless DFO is exposed and it is proven to the public for what it is....useless.

My humble opinion

This is my first thread on this great site. Many of you know me as the Vice President of the JDF Salmon Derby. This derby from day one was and continues to be about conservation of fish and giving back so that our kids kids have the same opportunities that we did. From day one we were an "invitational" derby with restrictions on number and weight of fish caught. I see some label us as a fish slaughter which I am offended by. George and his family and the executive have given up so much to be able to provide Victoria with a Class Act. There are other alternatives as Holmes indicated such as a catch and release derby. The fact that DFO first gave us their assurance the slot limit would be lifted on the eve of the derby, then a few days later hit us with the threat of closure hit us like a ton of bricks. Given the amount of time we had to decide, do we invest 30- 40 k and hope DFO keeps it open or wait until the week before the derby for the chinook closure? I stand behind the decision and maybe next year if DFO makes sound decisions we may be back. I apologize to all the hatcheries that depend on our dollars to make it happen. It is a sad, sad day.

Fred

This is a terrible thing in more ways then I can list. The money to hatcheries, the local economy, to name a few. When are people going to do something? What the F$&@&k is to going to take! If you can support a hatchery do it! If you can support an activist! Do it. If there is am sfab meeting go to it! If there is any chance to get in front of the dfo and tell them to go to hell... Do it!

Very sad about the derby shut down this year.
A lot of fun, fundraising and local economic benefit to be lost this year.

Tips

Well said Fred, and as a long time sponsor of the derby i would like to thank you, George and all the volunteers who put in hundreds of hours all for salmon enhancement.

I almost have to agree with RS Craven...I know alot of money from fishing derbies go to hatcheries and such. Its going to a good cause. But peoples perception is the "fisherman want to fight to continue fishing then they go and have derbies and kill alot of fish"...THAT IS WHAT PEOPLE SEE OF US. The further south you are the worse it is..lots of tree huggers and granola cruncher s in Victoria.

I love to fish and hunt so dont get me wrong.

This is the perception that is given off.

It is sad that this event has to be cancelled due to DFO's incompetence. Alot of money will be lost this year.

I almost have to agree with RS Craven...I know alot of money from fishing derbies go to hatcheries and such. Its going to a good cause. But peoples perception is the fisherman want to fight to continue fishing then they go and have derbies and kill alot of fish...THAT IS WHAT PEOPLE SEE OF US. The further south you are the worse it is..lots of tree huggers and granola cruncher s in Victoria.

I love to fish and hunt so dont get me wrong. This is the perception that is given off.

I don't think it is the public perception. I don't think non-fishers even give this stuff any thought at all, or if so, very, very few of them. My co-workers and friends that I associate with daily that are non-fishers have no clue about any of these issues, nor do they care.

I don't think it is the public perception. I don't think non-fishers even give this stuff any thought at all, or if so, very, very few of them. My co-workers and friends that I associate with daily that are non-fishers have no clue about any of these issues, nor do they care.

you would be surprised. I hear alot of people talking about it. Unfortunately the media makes us look bad alot of times as well.

just my opinions and my observations

I still fish and enjoy fishing so don't think I agree with DFO's BS

the same crap goes with hunting, tell some you hunt down here and you get the evil look, go North and they welcome you. Alot of people on this Island have never left and have never seen anything but this Island and love their granola and love to hug trees

Back