JDF Derby '13

Shepnoir

A very reliable source has let me know that this year is done and there will be no derby. What a shame.... I always had a good time even though it was a gong show. Thanks to George, volunteers and sponsors for the memories if this does not happen again! Next to positive that this was the largest contributing derby to enhancement.

I have to believe that part of the problem in raising the derby up again is the scale of commitment and work involved to pull this derby off and do it right. Everyone should think about how much work George and that team did over the years to put on the JDF. How someone who worked every day had time to organize it is amazing. I'm finding that out with the much smaller scale Banana Challenge.

I have to believe that part of the problem in raising the derby up again is the scale of commitment and work involved to pull this derby off and do it right. Everyone should think about how much work George and that team did over the years to put on the JDF. How someone who worked every day had time to organize it is amazing. I'm finding that out with the much smaller scale Banana Challenge.
I recon with ours Rollie, all of us combined put about 500 hours in overall (and that is, like most committees, quite top heavy). No question it takes a pile of effort and overwhelming amount of running around. With the amount of sponsors JDF has, that has to be murder for sure. Unfortunately, DFO has really put a squeeze on the workable windows, and even us late July are getting squeezed (but hopefully just squeak into wild opening). I understand their frustration for sure. We changed our date a couple years back thanks to closures, sure don't want to even consider that again.

I hope they don't pack it in - consider moving next year to August (that at least seems to be off DFO radar)...its a good economy boost and they have done tremendously giving back also. Tough times.

Back