Islander TR3 reviews

Fair points SV. I don't think anyone meant to deride Islander, just pointing out alternatives for us poor folks :)

So for islander guys, if price was no issue, what's the preferred reel?

MR2, MR2LA, MR3 or the TR3

The lifetime warranty on the TR3 is worth a few extra bucks in my opinion. I haven't had any serious problems with my MR3's but I've had a couple clicker springs break and a couple drag springs that didn't work right. It sure is nice when something does let go or wears out and the manufacturer gets it back up and running with no charge to the customer.

So for islander guys, if price was no issue, what's the preferred reel?

MR2, MR2LA, MR3 or the TR3
My buddy has all of them and the tr3 is great. Been able to loosen the drag completely when letting it down and not having it birds nest on you. Also, it clicks more often. It's like a snap on wrench compared to a craftsmen.

We were in bamfield breaking them in and the tr3 reel did start to make some creaking noises but I think he's had that fixed now. That was after one weekend of use so maybe it needed some lube or something.

But if money was no option, I'd buy 3 more amundsons to go with the one I got

Well I have or have had Islander MR3, Abel and RST for centre-pin downrigger trolling reels. Islanders and Abels will both creep within a few weeks after service and regular fishing. The spool diameter of RST is similar to MR2 and in my opinion too small to keep up with a fish that runs straight towards you. Of these three my preference is for the Islander MR3.

In view of which, I too am encouraged by initial reports of TR3 but at $1000 a pop with tax! Ouch!!!!!

I also have Avet SXJ5.3 level-winds. Unused to level-wind reels previously it has taken me some time to familiarise and become comfortable using them. The more I use these reels the more impressed I become. The SXJ5.3 loads with about 250 yards of 50lb braid and retrieves a massive 30” per crank. Extremely well made in California and at $189US (plus tax) in comparison to the centre-pins mentioned they are a bargain - they do not creep and the clutch is super smooth with the option of having the clicker on or off. http://www.avetreels.net/reels/sx-series/sxj-53-series-lever-drag-casting-reel.html

Last edited:
Fair points SV. I don't think anyone meant to deride Islander, just pointing out alternatives for us poor folks :)

I am not arguing with you on the price. It's steep for some. But it's a challenge to make a reel here and make money at it. Look at trophy

No problem just giving you a little background on the costs. Only problem with making things here for the industry. It's a slippery slope for many. It's hard here just can't compete with an offshore reel like Amundson or others. It's a very tough market in just the last few years.

I also have Avet SXJ5.3 level-winds. Unused to level-wind reels previously it has taken me some time to familiarise and become comfortable using them. The more I use these reels the more impressed I become

Agreed, I'm using the Avet MXL5.8 after many different single action reel's
and the quality and price are great.

Last edited:
The price they charge on the TR3 doesn't bother me I mean it's crazy but that's not what would stop me from buying it per say in fact it may interest some just because of its price. Guys, a Timex holds time just fine yet they sell Rolex's why because they are fine machines and people want to feel they have the best. I think this is the nitch here. No not everyone can afford one or wants to afford it, but man thats a sweet machine there's no denying it. You can not seriously nock the quality of Islander products and especially this unit, it is by the looks of it at the top of its class. You want it, buy it or don't but don't knock the guy that does buy it or the company for making it. It's an expensive luxury toy, it's certainly not for everyone.

The price they charge on the TR3 doesn't bother me I mean it's crazy but that's not what would stop me from buying it per say in fact it may interest some just because of its price. Guys, a Timex holds time just fine yet they sell Rolex's why because they are fine machines and people want to feel they have the best. I think this is the nitch here. No not everyone can afford one or wants to afford it, but man thats a sweet machine there's no denying it. You can not seriously nock the quality of Islander products and especially this unit, it is by the looks of it at the top of its class. You want it, buy it or don't but don't knock the guy that does buy it or the company for making it. It's an expensive luxury toy, it's certainly not for everyone.

Agreed - you make your choice you pays your money!

If I run my main on my boat 100 hours a year and include moorage and insurance it's over 10k. That not including the cost of maintenance or fishing gear. It's kind of hard to knock the price of these things at 900$ when I'm spending more than 10 times that just to get to where I can throw a rod down. If you are that invested already why not spend the money and run something nice? The only thing holding me back is the colour.

If I run my main on my boat 100 hours a year and include moorage and insurance it's over 10k. That not including the cost of maintenance or fishing gear. It's kind of hard to knock the price of these things at 900$ when I'm spending more than 10 times that just to get to where I can throw a rod down. If you are that invested already why not spend the money and run something nice? The only thing holding me back is the colour.
All good points and a reminder to those who doubt just how much money sport fishers put into the economy , not to mention how many small and large businesses rely on them.

So true, I was quickly doing the math on a 150 hrs on the main is about 9500 just in fuel for the year. Plus moorage and all the other stuff. 900 is a drop in the bucket. That's the sad thing is its becoming an elitist sport.

The price they charge on the TR3 doesn't bother me I mean it's crazy but that's not what would stop me from buying it per say in fact it may interest some just because of its price. Guys, a Timex holds time just fine yet they sell Rolex's why because they are fine machines and people want to feel they have the best. I think this is the nitch here. No not everyone can afford one or wants to afford it, but man thats a sweet machine there's no denying it. You can not seriously nock the quality of Islander products and especially this unit, it is by the looks of it at the top of its class. You want it, buy it or don't but don't knock the guy that does buy it or the company for making it. It's an expensive luxury toy, it's certainly not for

TR3's don't have one carat of exotic metal in them, if they did then they'd be worth the 900 bucks or more... But they don't!! Rolex and Timex analogy is wacked!!
I have 4) MR3's and love them but that doesn't mean I'm going out to purchase the TR3's and I can easily afford them if I do desire..
let's just face it rather than trying to justify it the manufacturer has brought that reel to the market way over valued!!

Value is price you pay for what you get. Your payin but you ain't gettin!!

I have to also say isn't somewhat strange that one of the most popular gear retailers on VCI has not sold Islander reels for a few years now!! Makes me go hmmmm..

Just sayin..

Last edited:
TR3's don't have one carat of exotic metal in them, if they did then they'd be worth the 900 bucks or more... But they don't!! Rolex and Timex analogy is wacked!!
I have 4) MR3's and love them but that doesn't mean I'm going out to purchase the TR3's and I can easily afford them if I do desire..
let's just face it rather than trying to justify it the manufacturer has brought that reel to the market way over valued!!

I have to also say isn't somewhat strange that one of the most popular gear retailers on VCI has not sold Islander reels for a few years now!! Makes me go hmmmm..

Just sayin..

Then I guess you are right. End of conversation.

Just sayin..

LOL:rolleyes:

Some people want the most expensive, period. Its catering to this market. In this price segment you want to be on top and not the second most expensive.

Back