Anyone selling a used Islander TR3? New like condition preferred

Anyone else notice that the TR3 drag doesn't free spool very well....there is still plenty of drag even when the centre knob is backed right off. My rod tip gets buried into the water when lowering on the downrigger.

Anyone else notice that the TR3 drag doesn't free spool very well....there is still plenty of drag even when the centre knob is backed right off. My rod tip gets buried into the water when lowering on the downrigger.
That's why I sold mine. Hated it. That's how they "fixed" it to need less adjustment when dropping on the rigger.

You might want to have it looked at. That seems excessive. What is the flex rating in your fishing rod?

have been looking also blacked out TR3 , but really nervous now , as im seeming more and more TR3s coming up for sale, THEY CANT BE ALL THAT BAD ??? Seems to be a few complaints for sure as stated above, also tension tightining up causing brake offs . is it just a maint issues or all reels not created equal.

have been looking also blacked out TR3 , but really nervous now , as im seeming more and more TR3s coming up for sale, THEY CANT BE ALL THAT BAD ??? Seems to be a few complaints for sure as stated above, also tension tightining up causing brake offs . is it just a maint issues or all reels not created equal.
used mine for one season , sold them , prefer the MR3 and Abel reels as well....just my opinion... good luck...

used mine for one season , sold them , prefer the MR3 and Abel reels as well....just my opinion... good luck...
Same for me. Had two, sold em both. TR3 just has too much drag at the 'zero drag' setting. Not enough to sink the rod tip, but enough to give your hand line cuts if you were thinking you could pull line like you can an MR2, MR3, Abel.

Same for me. Had two, sold em both. TR3 just has too much drag at the 'zero drag' setting. Not enough to sink the rod tip, but enough to give your hand line cuts if you were thinking you could pull line like you can an MR2, MR3, Abel.
It wasn't any kind of snap off or dropping gear issue for me either. Just the fact that I couldn't throw line out when getting the gear back. You really have to yank it out.

You might want to have it looked at. That seems excessive. What is the flex rating in your fishing rod?
I'm using 9 ft Trophy Bucktail rods...so they are lighter than what most guys use....but I don't have that problem with the MR2-3's

I have all three of Islanders reels right now, MR2 LA, newer version of MR3, and TR3. The TR3 is my favourite for downrigger fishing for sure.

I would seriously take it in if the rod tip was hitting the water while letting the brake go.

Make sure to post your TR3's on here that you don't want.

I have all three of Islanders reels right now, MR2 LA, newer version of MR3, and TR3. The TR3 is my favourite for downrigger fishing for sure.

I would seriously take it in if the rod tip was hitting the water while letting the brake go.

Make sure to post your TR3's on here that you don't want.
I otherwise like the TR3... I was only mentioning and asking about the only flaw I see with them....it seems to be common. I still like my MR-2 the best because the drag on it is predictable and when you turn in the drag knob a little you get a little increase in tension...move it more you get an incremental increase in tension. The Mr-3 is not consistent that way...you hit a spot where you turn the knob a little and the tension increase way to much. Hard to find and keep it on the sweet spot.

Mr-3 is not consistent that way...you hit a spot where you turn the knob a little and the tension increase way to much. Hard to find and keep it on the sweet spot.
MR-3 does seem to have an exponential drag adjustment at a certain point. Still great reels though, love the feel of all of the Islander trolling models.

I'm using 9 ft Trophy Bucktail rods...so they are lighter than what most guys use....but I don't have that problem with the MR2-3's
I also have one Trophy Bucktail rod with the smaller trophy reel but I am actually using with old polar bear bucktails with Cowichan spinners on surface for cohos. I am thinking your running off your downriggers for springs and are you using a flasher ?

Back