I introduce you.........

I never got to see the vid, but man, you guys are vicious. Remind me never to kick your cats :-o

Lippy kinda started the "PILE ON" :p.....and we all jumped on board with Nog leading the "second wave" on a "educaitonal crusade". ;)

I think holmes grabbed my junk in the "pile on" though....I found it inappropriate but I was released gently; given what we were piling on about I found it educational as to a good release. :eek: ;)

Lippy kinda started the "PILE ON" :p.....and we all jumped on board with Nog leading the "second wave" on a "educaitonal crusade". ;)

I think holmes grabbed my junk in the "pile on" though....I found it inappropriate but I was released gently; given what we were piling on about I found it educational as to a good release. :eek:

0020spit20coffee.gif

Inetresting just watched Dave mercers Facts of fishing
noticed he too hauls fish out hold them up for veiwing with no intentions of keeping it hnd right up the gills then lets them go
along with calling a freshwater Rainbow Trout a Steelhead looks to me like there aint no ocean around close enough for that to ever happen

there are fresh water steelhead
I think you may be mistaken LP. While the original strain may have been steelhead, the progeny that are landlocked are rainbow trout by strict scientific definition. The classification of steelhead (oncoryhnchus mykiss) is that it is a Pacific salmon. About 15 years ago, the scientific community agreed that Steelhead was more cloely related to salmon that trout and changed the nomenclature to Oncoryhnchus mykiss from Salmo Gairdneri gairnerii (steelhead trout).

like the dictonary states Steelhead Ocean run Fish so to me that states that unless that fish migrates to the ocean and comes back its a Rainbow Trout

The rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) is a species of salmonid native to tributaries of the Pacific Ocean in Asia and North America. The steelhead is a sea run rainbow trout (anadromous) usually returning to freshwater to spawn after 2 to 3 years at sea. In other words, rainbow trout and steelhead trout are the same species. The fish are often called salmon trout.[1] Several other fish in the salmonid family are called trout, some are anadromous like salmon, whereas others are resident in freshwater only.[2]

The species has been introduced for food or sport to at least 45 countries, and every continent except Antarctica. In some locations, such as Southern Europe, Australia and South America, they have negatively impacted upland native fish species, either by eating them, outcompeting them, transmitting contagious diseases, (like Whirling disease transmitted by Tubifex) or hybridization with closely related species and subspecies that are native to western North America.

Like salmon, steelhead are anadromous: they return to their original hatching ground to spawn. Similar to Atlantic salmon, but unlike their Pacific Oncorhynchus salmonid kin, steelhead are iteroparous (able to spawn several times, each time separated by months) and make several spawning trips between fresh and salt water. The steelhead smolts (immature or young fish) remain in the river for about a year before heading to sea, whereas salmon typically return to the seas as smolts. Different steelhead populations migrate upriver at different times of the year. "Summer-run steelhead" migrate between May and October, before their reproductive organs are fully mature. They mature in freshwater before spawning in the spring. Most Columbia River steelhead are "summer-run". "Winter-run steelhead" mature fully in the ocean before migrating, between November and April, and spawn shortly after returning. The maximum recorded life-span for a rainbow trout is 11 years.

so the 'steelhead' that are caught in the rivers that flow into the great lakes, are rainbow trout? whew... don't tell the ontario freshwater anglers! lol!

So if Lorne is to go back and catch one of these fish in question..... what is it you guys suggest Lorne "calls it"????? a fresh water migatory rainbow trout that is an ancestor of a pacific steelhead?????!!!!!! But again that might not be correct enough for ya's.... gimme a break. The old sayin if it looks like a duck,swims like a duck, and sounds like a duck.... it's probably a duck. Or close enough for me

Nice, way to shut him down guys, missed this thread.....haven't been online much.

Inetresting just watched Dave mercers Facts of fishing
noticed he too hauls fish out hold them up for veiwing with no intentions of keeping it hnd right up the gills then lets them go

Well I posted a comment on his website in the Casting for Monster Muskies show....it has to be approved by a moderator.

I told him that he should refrain from sticking his hand into the gills of the fish if he's gonna release it and that he's teaching too many people the wrong way to release fish unharmed. We'll see if the moderator approves this - something tells me it might not make it in.

Edit: Ok I also posted this "directly to Dave" via his website.

Heya Dave,

I'm concerned about what your teaching the public in regards to catch and release. Whenever you release a fish you have to give it the best chance to survive, this does not involve sticking your hand into it's gills. Too many people will learn the wrong way to release a fish unharmed. Your potential to reach alot people should always be on your mind. Many of our fisheries are in decline, catch and release only works if done properly.

We'll see what I get, I"m looking forward to a reply in my email or not who knows.....I'll post if I get a reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back