Hunters Call To Arms!

Well said, the FN write up is perfect, well written and based on fact, my hat is off to the Wildlife Stewardship Council. I may not agree with all they say but certainly do with what has been stated on the grizzly bear situation.

HM

Interesting that Raincoat's Executive Director Chris Genovali agreed that banning black bear hunting is already on their agenda.

At 22:15 of this broadcast: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/popup/audio...umbia&subsection3=bcalmanac&contenttype=audio

The slippery slope begins...
icon_eek.gif

Ticked,
Nog

I stayed out of this battle for a bit listening to all of this. I firmly believe in hunting bear for food etc. Its a tradition and it also scientifically based. The issue is the foreign trophy hunting. I don't think as Weaver said the NDP thought it out before implementing. It looks like I mess and I am not sure it will do what it is intended to do.

One thing though is you all are not seeing is that the liberals went against a lot of people's wishes and stomped on a lot of communities. They were an awful government to deal with, and NDP knows that so it will go over the top to listen to concerns especially in first year. Now the new government has to keep its seat in power and appease all sides. It also has promised it would listen more to what the public wants. That was the mandate of both parties when they formed government.

What is clear though is that the vast amount public want this. That is why it came up. The government doesn't just get these ideas. It is because the vast amount of voters want it so if they keep a promise they look good. I dont think its just environmentalists. I think its because of the high profile pictures of the dentist with the lion etc. as an example. With social media now more people are becoming aware of the trophy killing and so you end up with this result.

It isn't any political party's fault. It is the citizens in BC that are driving this. We are going to see more of this in years to come.

I am still neutral on this issue on trophy hunting myself. I do think its stupid to tell a hunter they cant take that bear if they are eating it leaving hide etc. That is wasteful.

This may be what some of the people want.
This would look different if the vote were taken in the country and not in the city.

I stayed out of this battle for a bit listening to all of this. I firmly believe in hunting bear for food etc. Its a tradition and it also scientifically based. The issue is the foreign trophy hunting. I don't think as Weaver said the NDP thought it out before implementing. It looks like I mess and I am not sure it will do what it is intended to do.

One thing though is you all are not seeing is that the liberals went against a lot of people's wishes and stomped on a lot of communities. They were an awful government to deal with, and NDP knows that so it will go over the top to listen to concerns especially in first year. Now the new government has to keep its seat in power and appease all sides. It also has promised it would listen more to what the public wants. That was the mandate of both parties when they formed government.

What is clear though is that the vast amount public want this. That is why it came up. The government doesn't just get these ideas. It is because the vast amount of voters want it so if they keep a promise they look good. I dont think its just environmentalists. I think its because of the high profile pictures of the dentist with the lion etc. as an example. With social media now more people are becoming aware of the trophy killing and so you end up with this result.

It isn't any political party's fault. It is the citizens in BC that are driving this. We are going to see more of this in years to come.

I am still neutral on this issue on trophy hunting myself. I do think its stupid to tell a hunter they cant take that bear if they are eating it leaving hide etc. That is wasteful.

I'm not sure what their stance on trophy hunting is over there but here's an interesting article out of Alberta.

Copied from castanets news service:

Scientists say conflict between grizzly bears and people in Southwestern Alberta is growing.

University of Alberta researchers combed through 15 years worth of data on contact between humans, black bears, grizzlies, wolves and cougars in the province's southern foothills, mountains and plains.

They found encounters have remained about the same for all of them except grizzlies - in that case contact increased fourfold between 1999 and 2014.

Lead researcher Andrea Morehouse says that's likely to be related to other recent findings that grizzly populations have been slowly growing and the bears are expanding their range.

Morehouse also found that a provincial program designed to reduce conflict by supplying bears with roadkill didn't work.

Morehouse says people want large carnivores to remain in the area and are coming up with innovative ways to live with them.

Research ArticleAPPLIED ECOLOGY
Hallmarks of science missing from North American wildlife management
  1. Kyle A. Artelle1,2,3,*,
  2. John D. Reynolds1,
  3. Adrian Treves4,
  4. Jessica C. Walsh1,
  5. Paul C. Paquet2,5 and
  6. Chris T. Darimont2,3,5
See all authors and affiliations

Science Advances 07 Mar 2018:
Vol. 4, no. 3, eaao0167
DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.aao0167
http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/3/eaao0167.full

A lot is argued over the plucking of "Feathers". This is just one of a handful they are after.

You want to see what managing the game population with feel good, uninformed masses looks like, just look at Washington state. First the hound hunting ban then bear baiting ban then trapping ban, then wolves. Now we just sit back and watch are hunting go down the drain.

https://www.recode.net/2017/5/28/15702270/robots-imitate-animals-movement-snakebot-cheetah-rhex
"Roboticists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology showed off a four-legged robot in 2015 that can jump over obstacles that fall in its path while running. Inspired by the movements of a cheetah, the robot can determine the right amount of force needed to safely land when jumping over an obstacle and resume running."

I would bet there are already any species animal robot, clone game farms on the drawing board for our hunting urge. You will be able to choose between a traditional grizzly or one armed to whatever degree of challenge itch you want to scratch. A charging grizz with an AK 47 with a camo fur coat...

https://www.recode.net/2017/5/28/15702270/robots-imitate-animals-movement-snakebot-cheetah-rhex
"Roboticists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology showed off a four-legged robot in 2015 that can jump over obstacles that fall in its path while running. Inspired by the movements of a cheetah, the robot can determine the right amount of force needed to safely land when jumping over an obstacle and resume running."

I would bet there are already any species animal robot, clone game farms on the drawing board for our hunting urge. You will be able to choose between a traditional grizzly or one armed to whatever degree of challenge itch you want to scratch. A charging grizz with an AK 47 with a camo fur coat...
Probably not as tasty as the real thing.

KeRist. You can now stop with the propaganda mission. :rolleyes:
By now most are realizing your stance, and just who you obviously side with.

Honest question: Do you hunt, or even fish for that matter?
Or simply troll this (and other) forum?

Wondering...
Nog
Yep between him and his twin Seascene they are the ultimate hunters and fishers....NOT!

Nog - I think I understand what I can only describe as unfortunately neurotic perspective wrt attempting to see as their being only 2 sides in this debate as either black or white - and then assuming anyone posting an opportunity to see what the other side is saying or seeing - as picking a side.

I am not an author of either report, nor am I affiliated with them, and I quite often disagree with their assumptions - so I am only posting the web address for that research for those whom it may interest - but thank you for the opportunity to hopefully clear that up for you - as you seem confused to me. I like to read the science and the other side of a debate. It's up to you if you wish to. If you don't wish to read it - don't. Nobody is forcing you to - nor forcing you to either read this form, nor change your opinion, neither.

If you disagree with their research - there are ways to have input to that - but at the least - I would suggest that you should know what it is that they will be presenting to regulators and to the public. I am sure you already know the saying: "Keep your friends close - but your enemies closer". I don't think it hurts to know what ammunition the other side is packing...

Last edited:
Ah...a conservation thread gone sideways...shocking. Once again, here is the reminder to keep the personal crap out of your posts. Cleaned up a couple posts and left a couple others for context. Don't like someone's point of view, debate it all you want. Get personal and disrespectful and it will be yanked from the thread or the thread will get shut down.

Back