Hunters Call To Arms!

There is a lot of support to end trophy hunting, I think u will see this used in the next elections. I'm a serious hunter maybe 30-40 trips a year. Kill what you eat that's it, and end the whitetail doe season haha. If you kill a bear just for the rug and don't take the meat seems wasteful!! A NHL player shooting a bear in the rain forest when he didn't have a license didn't do the trophy hunting sport any favours. What do you guys think would be said on this forum if some guy caught a 300lbs Hali and cut the head off and through all the meat back in the water. Waste!!
Hi JAC. I agree with a lot of what you say. I do not personally believe you should kill something you are not going to consume. I am not in favour of Trophies being taken simply for a mount (whether that be fish or game). But, at the same time I realize predator populations must be managed and someone has to do the culling. If the government pays to have the population thinned those kills will not be consumed either, so really their is little difference in that respect. I do not hunt, but I am not hypocritical about my right to fish vs someone else's right to hunt. Many Sportfishing enthusiasts take trophies and have them mounted as well. I do not agree with that either, but I would not personally try to deny either group the right to do so (even though I think it is wasteful). The problem here is that this issue is very divisive among the outdoorsmen who still enjoy to hunt and fish. The old saying "divide and conquer" totally applies here. Whether you ethically agree with trophy taking is not what is of paramount importance with this issue. Whether you want to be told you shouldn't be allowed to hunt or fish because others do not ethically agree with those practices is the issue. My ethics may differ from yours, and others. Who truly has the right to impose their morals and ethics on others is the real issue here. Just because my ethics are against trophy taking does not mean I have the right to tell a fellow fisherman he can't take a trophy home to have it mounted (if he so chooses). Be careful if you take a stand on the ethical high ground here, because next year someone with higher ethical standards will be telling you that hunting is immoral and will be trying to take away your right to hunt. That is what is at the root of this issue. This is not an issue over trophy hunting, this is an issue over sportsman having the right to kill. The others in society with a higher ethical standard are adamant that humans don't have a right to kill any animal. Today trophy hunting is the target for these zealots with their anti hunting agenda. Once the trophy hunting battle is won they will be moving on to banning any form of hunting. So all I can say, is choose your side carefully in this battle over hunting rights. Make no mistake this is not a trophy hunting issue to them, it is a hunting issue, period. These groups are ethically opposed to any form of hunting, not just trophy hunting. This battle is only beginning, the zealots with their higher moral standards think they have a right to enforce their beliefs on the sportsmen of this province. Don't get fooled into thinking their campaign is going to stop with trophy hunting, because it's not. These groups are fundamentally opposed to all hunting and fishing and they are not going to stop until both are banned.

Nog, very nice report on the anti hunting rally, and nicely done. Hopefully this ban doesn't gain support with the politicos. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Like I said - If the excuse is "making money" - it seems bear viewing generates more income/tax. As for the "science" - do we really need to do a grizzly cull?

We institute cultural values into our resource management all the time. We could simply dynamite and snag fish - it'd be a more effective way of getting fish. Why don't we?

I don't think the "bear viewing generates more income" is a fair argument as both can easily coexist. Many of the most popular places where bear viewing lodges are there is no trophy hunt, and even if there was bear viewers at a lodge and hunters would be very unlikely to cross paths.

They can coexist easily. 2% of the population...come on. It supports many families, even if those families aren't yours and is important for population control as well as keeping a fear of humans so that bad interactions in the future do not occur (although IMO this is not a big reason to get behind as it is quite minor).

Published "Today"...
hello.gif

November 6, 2013
buttkick.gif

Nonetheless...

Have a boo at the authors here... :)

Just for instance:

Kyle Artelle - Raincoast Conservation Foundation - Known & Proven Anti & Hugger Group

Paul C. Paquet - Raincoast Conservation Foundation - Known & Proven Anti & Hugger Group

Chris T. Darimont - Raincoast Conservation Foundation - Known Anti & Proven Hugger Group

And their Three Amigos from SFU.
laugh.gif

Check the statements:

"In at least one regional population, hunters killed 24 more bears than the local quota allowed."

Absolutely, Unequivocally Impossible without charges. Unless you include First Nations Harvests...

Funding?

The authors thank the David Suzuki Foundation, the Raincoast Conservation Foundation, and the Tula Foundation for financial support.

Absolute SPIN. In the old days we called such fellows BIOSTITUTES. IMO, that very well fits these cretins, and based upon their spin, you might understand why it didn't get much (if any) traction except among the Anti's.

The REAL biologists did not pay much attention to this type of attack / drivel. Nor should they.

Cheers,
Nog

Last edited:
Good post.
I might add;

"Can and do easily coexist."
I agree 100%. They should set up that co-existence so that the viewing public gets a couple hours to pet the cuddly grizzlies, and then once the grizzlies are full, we blast away.......Hmmmm.......ok maybe that's not such a peaceful co-existence.......Ummmm......... Nevermind..........

Now back to your regularly scheduled debate.

Why don't they start to protect healthy and sustainable wild Salmon populations.

Very simple reason, actually. Wild salmon (and habitat) gets in the way of resource development projects. Countless examples to support this claim.

Very simple reason, actually. Wild salmon (and habitat) gets in the way of resource development projects. Countless examples to support this claim.
That was more of a rhetorical, DOOOH, on that one.
Just kind of makes you shake your head.

"In a stunning reversal of policy, the BC Liberals are promising to eliminate grizzly bear hunting in the province's Great Bear Rainforest.

If Crispy wins, she will most certainly follow through on this closure.

From what I've been able to determine:

There are "willing sellers & willing buyers" for the remaining concessions within the so-called GBR.
The GO's noted they were unopposed to those transactions.

The BCWF noted they too were not opposed, as long as the same amount of tags are to be made available elsewhere.

Thus, no-one stood up to the anti's in this regard, and went along with Crispy's appeasement program.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Much of the area in question had already been purchased or subject to FN claim.
Deals were being undertaken on the balance.
It would now appear this outcome was basically a forgone conclusion.

Cheers,
Nog

Reactions: GLG
I can't, for the life of me, understand why anyone in the hunting or fishing community would support our current provincial government. The sad fact is they do not support us and at every turn they seem to want to destroy our way of life. One only has to look at the sad state of affairs with steelhead that is controlled by the province. On my tenure with with SFAC/SFAB the commitment to steelhead is a disaster. In fact we pushed to get DFO to takeover this resource. At least then we could have a group (dfo staff) that shared our passion and would do whatever they could to help. I don't know much about hunting but from others here I see the same story being played out again. I would suggest others to take the time to think about who to vote for next month as we will have to live with that decision for a long time.

Just watched the video that was on this thread and suggest everyone who cares about these issues takes the time to view it. Bottom line is ..... we lack leadership from the province and things won't change until we change the leaders.

I can't, for the life of me, understand why anyone in the hunting or fishing community would support our current provincial government.
Everyone I know who does is fairly convinced that the NDP will do no better...and in the process of failing us on conservation, will also fail us on the economy.

Why would I hand a pistol to a guy who's going to shoot me in the knee? To prevent it from going to a guy who's going to shoot me in both knees.

I think it's that kind of thinking that is going to get her re elected and reinforce in her mind that what she is doing is her "Mandate". It's time for a change. Don't fear it, Vote for it.

Or "I'm more scared for my wallet with the liberals in power again, than I am with any other party".

Last edited:
Everyone I know who does is fairly convinced that the NDP will do no better...and in the process of failing us on conservation, will also fail us on the economy.

Why would I hand a pistol to a guy who's going to shoot me in the knee? To prevent it from going to a guy who's going to shoot me in both knees.

I hear what your saying but there is an old saying.......
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

It's clear that we need to refresh the leadership of the Liberal Party here in BC. Maybe that way we will get leadership that is not beholding to any special interest group but the citizens of our province. I'm fed up with the corruption that our current leader has gotten herself into.
Millions in political donations prompt call for review of B.C. mining regulations
Mining companies donated $4.7M to B.C. Liberals over 10 years, CBC analysis finds
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...or-review-of-b-c-mining-regulations-1.4058998

Yes we hear that we have the lowest taxes in Canada but the true costs have just been hidden in the rates we pay for other things like this.

What British Columbians will pay more for in 2017
ICBC, BC Hydro, Translink all raising rates
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-taxes-2017-1.3903691?cmp=rss

Back