hrs. on 200-250 hp. outboards

speydog

How many hrs. do you have on your ob? Mine is a 2005-225hp. has 1500 hrs. Would think 2500-3000 should not be unreasonable.

Hey there, I grow grapes for a living, at work we have 33 honda quads 300cc-500cc. We will get at least 3500-4500 hours before we do the top end and we have had some up to 5000 hours. The quads are used pretty hard but they always have there oil change every 200 hours. I know that there not outboards but I think that maintance is the key and if you take care of your outboard it should take care of you for a long time. For me I would plan on 3000-4000 hours but I think there are some guides on here that have more than that on there motors?

An outboard engine works much harder than an engine in any car, motorbike, quad etc. No gears (more lugging) and running constant higher rpms while on plane. There is no public road or trail where you could run any engine at 4000-5000rpms or higher for hrs at a time. I think guys who claim over 3000 hrs on an outboard used for main power are doing a fair amount of low speed trolling with it along with the cruise speeds.

Hey there, I grow grapes for a living, at work we have 33 honda quads 300cc-500cc. We will get at least 3500-4500 hours before we do the top end and we have had some up to 5000 hours. The quads are used pretty hard but they always have there oil change every 200 hours. I know that there not outboards but I think that maintance is the key and if you take care of your outboard it should take care of you for a long time. For me I would plan on 3000-4000 hours but I think there are some guides on here that have more than that on there motors?

and some times maintenance is not key !! I know there are others, but I am the most particular guy I know when It come to my Yamahaha F225. Meticoulsy washed and cleaned after every personal trip. During guiding season flushed every 5-7 days. Changed oil every 100 hrs instead of 200 ( figured it would be better in the long run ) stayed right on top of all external zincs, motor and boat and internal. Used all, more expensive Yamahaha lube products. Lower end impellor change just cause. gear lube every season start and greased ! Because.....I wanted my investment to last and I have to put alot of faith in what is behind me. To what end? total failure, internal erosion 800 hrs.
Ya ya I know. It is a sore spot for me sorry.

Hooktender Its hard to prove with just one motor but if someone was to own a fleet of outboars I think they would see the differents. If the owners manuel says to change every 200hours thats what I would stick I'm sure they would know best plus it would be cheaper and easier for you. I think that commercial outboard users that put 500-1000 hours on a year will get more hours out of a motor then a average fisherman. If I put on 100 hours a year its going to take me 30 years to get there and I think that over time seals and thing do break down. If you go out and do 3000 hours in 3 years I think you have a better shot then doing it over 30 years. I also think that makeing sure that you motor has the right prop and is hitting it rpm range is a big deal rather then lugging all the time.

I think Hook Tender is correct, there is a problem with some of the yami's and corrosion. There was a link posted last year on the forum to all kinds of recent info on this problem. Yami doesn't want anyone to know about it for obvious reasons.

I have twin 150 yams, 2006's, I have just over 1300 hrs on each one. That being said I use it for guiding and most likely 80% of these hrs are on the troll. I do my oil changes every 200 as stated in the manual, I changed my impellers at 1000 hrs just because I was worried I would loose one offshore, they were both still in good shape. Gear oil every season, basic TLC and these things are still running like a top. Only problem I ever had was a plugged injector, it was my bad, no in line Racor system, only the bull$hit, cheap spin on. I learned the hard way, had to get four new ones flown into the middle of nowhere to get me home, wasn't cheap.

Bottom line,I think Yamaha's are top of the line, look how many you see around. I would for sure buy more when need, don't think you can go wrong.

The one im running was used on a water taxi and was never trolled with . Always run at higher rpm but not over run .I bought it with 2000 ish hrs on it . I was never flushed out as the boat was kept in the water but it was run every single day. I already have dibbs on the new 300 he replced the 250 with as soon as he's ready to repower. As a side note, I just checked the hrs last night and its just over 2500 hrs. I had said in a different post that it had 2300hrs.For $3500 with everything it's payed for itself in my eyes already.
Dan

I think guys who claim over 3000 hrs on an outboard used for main power are doing a fair amount of low speed trolling with it along with the cruise speeds.

On the 01-06 ,200-250 yams your on borrowed time if you get over 1500hrs. they say they have fixed the problem guess we'll see in a few years!

On the 01-06 ,200-250 yams your on borrowed time if you get over 1500hrs. they say they have fixed the problem guess we'll see in a few years!

As posted on THT, Yamaha has come out with a Corrosion Repair Kit for the 225's that have problems. The kit is between $600 and 3K depending on who you buy it from. Not sure if Yamaha actually admitted they have a problem as that could mean law suit but the repair kit is available. I'm not a mechanic but have been told that if you do a leak down test this should flush out any problems?? I sold my 2002 - F225 last year with 450 hours on it and it was still running great - but I agree, on borrowed time !!

I now run twin 150 HPDI's and wonder if there are other members who have lots of hours on these and want to tell us about it?

They didnt all have the problem and if you changed the internal anodes at the beginning (if you got the bad ones and new about it) the problem was solved .From what i was told,some of the annodes were the wrong alloy and the block would go before the anodes did.

I have a picture of a block with the heads off if anyone wants to see how kleen this 02 engine is.
I just don't know how to post pics but i can email them
Dan

quote from mechanic re: internal annodes " we never change those" after the s... hit the fan. not a yamaha, they do not have the exclusive on corrosion.

stated to me by most trustworthy guide re: yamaha internal annodes "never heard of them" said his mechanic.

this issue never surfaced until manufacturers were made aware of it couple yrs. ago. swept under carpet i'm sure, don't be to hard on your mechanic, look at the dealer\owner\manager\manufacturer. what part of these motors are used in saltwater don't they understand

you can buy after market zincs cheaper and last longer, much harder composition, however what do you want to erode the zinc or the motor

looking for ob mechanic campbell river. any suggestions. dealer mechs. don't make $50 an hr. but that seems to be the going rate.

In CR-try Island Fish Lifter-he seems like a straight shooter-I'm sure if he can't help you -he will point you in the right direction.

Revenge, most of the corrosion issues with these engines has been in the exhaust hosing inside the mid-section.(leg) It rots away, back pressure changes and the engines computer cannot keep the engine in tune and significant loss of power results. The corrosion is a result of the exhaust housing being a wet setup so it is immersed in salt water, extreme heat and acidic exhaust gases. The block anodes have nothing to do with this problem. Those anodes protect the head and block between the cylinders and the outer shell. (water passages)

I have a Honda 225 with a few hours on her. Great motor with zero corrosion issues. I hope to put more than quite a few more hours on her before having to re-power. No other outboard sounds like a Honda. It's like a race car coming off the line. Cool sound for sure.

Back