Going over on hp

brutus

Question to guys that have done this, as most of you know the Honda is crapping out, probably won’t fix it, will be looking into low hrs 250 - 300 power, might go new not sure yet, winter project. So my question is my boat is a conversion I/o to outboard, old sticker on boat says 250 max Hp, 250 is just enough power but 300 would be better, what is the deal with insurance if I go over max hp, original owners had a 250 suke that blew up, was replaced with the Honda 225 that is on it now. Ps if the Honda is a simple fix I might get it fixed, but if the power head need to come off to replace an oil pump it’s becoming a boat anchor

I owned a 1989 250 Wellcraft Sportsman like yours and Bryce on the forum podded it and I think put a 300 Suzuki on it.You should contact him to see how he liked it.He sold it now and went big tinny.

I owned a 1989 250 Wellcraft Sportsman like yours and Bryce on the forum podded it and I think put a 300 Suzuki on it.You should contact him to see how he liked it.He sold it now and went big tinny.
Hey yes put on a 300 suzuki it worked great absolutely no complaints
Had it insured with western financial I never had any claims but they insured it no problem

Hey yes put on a 300 suzuki it worked great absolutely no complaints
Had it insured with western financial I never had any claims but they insured it no problem
Thanks for that, the boat can handle it for sure, the 225 is underpowered, fine for small loads and fishing solo but offshore and loaded is a bit of a slug, not much difference in $ for the 300 instead of the 250

Thanks for that, the boat can handle it for sure, the 225 is underpowered, fine for small loads and fishing solo but offshore and loaded is a bit of a slug, not much difference in $ for the 300 instead of the 250
No essentially the same weight I had the boat loaded quite a few times no shortage of power and good on fuel when light I can pull up my old receipts and see what pitch prop I put on if you go with suzuki I did try a few different props and have all the different numbers somewhere I went with a prop where my wot was around 5800 and cruised at 4300 at 30 mph with a crazy good hole shot

The only thing better then a Suzuki DF300 is a pair of them.

I had a single on a 24 foot Skagit Orca for several years—-I ran the Suzuki 16 x 18.5” on it.

The DF300 pair I have now also are turning the Suzuki 16 x 18.5”

Those big gear cases perform well with the 16” ....you can do way worse then starting out with that diameter and pitch if you end up going with a DF300

And if it were me, I’d stick with the tried-and-true single prop version...

No essentially the same weight I had the boat loaded quite a few times no shortage of power and good on fuel when light I can pull up my old receipts and see what pitch prop I put on if you go with suzuki I did try a few different props and have all the different numbers somewhere I went with a prop where my wot was around 5800 and cruised at 4300 at 30 mph with a crazy good hole shot
Ya I do about 25 mph at 4400 rpm with the 225, with lite load( 90% ) of the time I am solo, wot 5800 at about 38-40 mph. She come up fast, only Time it’s a bit sluggish is in a big following sea, once I get up on plane I need to keep there, that’s the reason I want to go up in hp

The only thing better then a Suzuki DF300 is a pair of them.

I had a single on a 24 foot Skagit Orca for several years—-I ran the Suzuki 16 x 18.5” on it.

The DF300 pair I have now also are turning the Suzuki 16 x 18.5”

Those big gear cases perform well with the 16” ....you can do way worse then starting out with that diameter and pitch if you end up going with a DF300

And if it were me, I’d stick with the tried-and-true single prop version...
Not going to 350 that’s a for sure, 250-or 300, yam or suke, still a bit early, have all winter to figure it out. Thanks for the input👍👍

I had my old boat insured with 300hp on the insurance paperwork. boat was rated for 260. no issues. just declare it.

Yamaha 250 and 300 are essentially the same motor. Same weight. My old Yam F225 needed 4200 rpm to cruise at 27mph. The new F250 with same prop needs only 3700 rpm for 27mph. More HP and I’m burning less gas. Going bigger can be more efficient. 23 ft 5000lbs loaded up. In hindsight I shoulda gone 300 hp but my boats rated 250. Sounds like that’s not an issue now with newer efficient 4 strokes.

If you fix your Honda think about a 4 blade prop. It solved my following sea problem on 23 grady with f250 yamaha

Back