Hooks on Gibbs Spoons.

So what does SFBC figure is the top-voted make, model and size replacement hook for, say, a 3" Gibbs?
5/0 gammy big river bait.
As other have mentioned, none of my fished spoons see the water with their packaged crappy hooks. It ain't worth waiting till you loose the first fish on the spoon to change the hook. With the crappy paint adhesion from Gibbs/ goldstar/ lighthouse the first bite might be the only fish prior to the paint peeling off Completely.
$14 a spoon now in ukee and they are sometimes one fish wonders...

I tend not to bash anyone else’s product but I find it ridiculous how much the Gibbs spoons cost and the quality you get. Effective? Yes. But come on Gibbs, you need to up your game in regards to hooks and paint quality.
I talked to one of the reps.( not Gibbs) about the quality of the hooks and was told it was to keep the price down.
Wouldn’t have thought that the price of a decent hook would be a game changer as to whether you buy the spoon or not.

I talked to one of the reps.( not Gibbs) about the quality of the hooks and was told it was to keep the price down.
Wouldn’t have thought that the price of a decent hook would be a game changer as to whether you buy the spoon or not.
Charge $0.25 more. Probably extra profit at that price too

I haven't broken any hooks yet but a weeks worth of fishing does have most of the paint around the outer edge falling off. More so on the glow white underside.

All the big guys use ****** hooks, I cut them all off and replace with owner. Which they would just sell without the hooks then I could save the step of cutting them off..
What size and style of Owner hooks are you replacing with. I lost the biggest fish I’ve had on in years this July cause of a straightened hook on a Gibbs Spoon. I could bend it back a forth with ease

I sent an e mail to Gibbs and complained about their cheap, weak hooks. Never got a response. They know about it but are not prepared to spend more money to fix the problem.

I tend not to bash anyone else’s product but I find it ridiculous how much the Gibbs spoons cost and the quality you get. Effective? Yes. But come on Gibbs, you need to up your game in regards to hooks and paint quality.

they run a marketing show though prostaff

im actually surprised they dont run a legacy line of some of their old salmon spoons. even if they charged 25 bucks each id bet it be a gold mine

or do what i do and boycott their horrific product altogether and buy AP spoons and Peetz spoons.

that will be the day i buy a $10 spoon that is finished in one day.

AP are like $14 or $15 and they don’t bend and the hooks are bulletproof. other than teeth marks the tape is perfect. i have some Ap spoons that are almost 10 years old and still produce as well as the day i bought it

or do what i do and boycott their horrific product altogether and buy AP spoons and Peetz spoons.
Last year I vowed to not buy any fishing tackle made overseas. I'm obsessed with LeftCoastLures and AP Tackleworks because of their looks, performance and durability. Have I caught less fish? Maybe, maybe not? But supporting our local manufacturers and getting to know the owners is a delight.

Some smart entrepreneur should offer his or her spoons as hook free for those who prefer to use their own hooks. Could market it as a means to limit the amount of potentially dangerous items being put in the trash and landfill, throwing out/ replacement of new hooks etc. I know I always have reservations about chucking out hooks. Also as mentioned for the many who change them right out of the package, it eliminates a step.
Environmentally friendly initiative. Also like all environmentally friendly initiatives, charge more for hookless spoons lol

Some smart entrepreneur should offer his or her spoons as hook free for those who prefer to use their own hooks. Could market it as a means to limit the amount of potentially dangerous items being put in the trash and landfill, throwing out/ replacement of new hooks etc. I know I always have reservations about chucking out hooks. Also as mentioned for the many who change them right out of the package, it eliminates a step.
Environmentally friendly initiative. Also like all environmentally friendly initiatives, charge more for hookless spoons lol
i know that grand Slam Bucktails come without hooks. :)

Back