Help Finding a Grady 282

Still sorting out an issue with the trailer title. We have the trailer stored in Blaine for now.
Do you have to confirm the trailer is debt free show US Customs confirmation of it when you cross then have Canadian Tire inspect it? Like a car?

You need to have the title. The seller will only be able to hold the title if there are no debts. This is where we got snagged. Buddy never followed through on getting the title transferred to his name. The VIN decal on the trailer is important as well. It's the only way to match the trailer to the title.

You might want to check, I think you need a “lean search” done as well. US Customs doesn’t want vehicles crossing the border with US loans outstanding. That’s what I had to do last time I brought across my SUV. Maybe trailers are treated different. The RIV process lays it out.

Do you have to confirm the trailer is debt free show US Customs confirmation of it when you cross then have Canadian Tire inspect it? Like a car?
Having the title, and the "no-recall letter", in addition to the vin, trailer tire sticker and the gvwr sticker. is sufficient, if the trailer 15 years or younger from my experience.

What a pain. We had a faded vin sticker and had problem with Canadian Tire but eventually got it sorted out, thanks to an auto insurance broker, he earned the 75$ trailer insurance fee.

Hope you get it sorted.

It is a pain. I believe if we have the title we should be clear of leans. Maybe not though. The previous owner is applying for the new title. If he gets its should be clear sailing. The VIN decal is faded to nothing. That will be another hurdle. Why trailer manufacturers aren't forced to use metal stamped plated is beyond me.

All good though. We don't even have a truck rated to tow the whole rig. Boats in the water. Taking it to Gibsons for a weekend trip this Friday.

Ended up buying those Verados. Could have been more patient but they seemed reasonable. Guy at Parksville boathouse said they checked out really well. Just waiting to hear back from PV Boathouse on a date to flip the motors. To kicker or not to kicker....

Oh I love this debate. I only have 140 hours on the mains. If I did 100 hours trolling every year for 10 years and 100 hours running. I'd have 21 year old motors with 1700 hours. If I saved the trolling hours I'd have 1200 hours on the mains. Is it really worth spending the 8 or 9 grand on the kicker?

Oh I love this debate. I only have 140 hours on the mains. If I did 100 hours trolling every year for 10 years and 100 hours running. I'd have 21 year old motors with 1700 hours. If I saved the trolling hours I'd have 1200 hours on the mains. Is it really worth spending the 8 or 9 grand on the kicker?
I'm with you, it's not like you are spending 80k on two mains, so I don't think keeping the hours low is worth another 10k investment. Different if someone is buying new or heavy user or a guide putting in 500 + every year.

Those look like a good deal, especially if it was a cash deal and you got the props and controls.

That’s only ten days of trolling

I was thinking I average 5 hours of trolling a trip. Probably fish 15 to 20 days a year. Lots of winter days I only do 3 hours. Spend the rest of the time dealing with traps. When in Bamfield maybe 8 hrs a day.

Other things to consider as well main one is fuel burn rate. Never made sense to me why hour out and wear out a $30,000 engine rather than a $8000 engine.

Other things to consider as well main one is fuel burn rate. Never made sense to me why hour out and wear out a $30,000 engine rather than a $8000 engine.
Personally, I plan to go twins next year. I am not buying a kicker. Why spend another $4-5 K on a motor and the added cost to install and engineer the kicker bracket and set up a third steering motor which is always a pain. And you have a third motor to service. I just talked to a guy in Nootka who replaced his twins (200 HP I think) on his 25 foot boat that he used for trolling. He had 12,000 hours on them, mostly trolling. My immaculate Yam F225 blew up at 700 hours that had never been used for trolling. I don't think using a large motor to troll is an issue at all. Although I have a kicker on the current boat, I have trolled with my new Yam F250 and it burns .7 GPH according to my NMEA. Doubt my 9.9 HT is much better. Just one mans view.

Personally, I plan to go twins next year. I am not buying a kicker. Why spend another $4-5 K on a motor and the added cost to install and engineer the kicker bracket and set up a third steering motor which is always a pain. And you have a third motor to service. I just talked to a guy in Nootka who replaced his twins (200 HP I think) on his 25 foot boat that he used for trolling. He had 12,000 hours on them, mostly trolling. My immaculate Yam F225 blew up at 700 hours that had never been used for trolling. I don't think using a large motor to troll is an issue at all. Although I have a kicker on the current boat, I have trolled with my new Yam F250 and it burns .7 GPH according to my NMEA. Doubt my 9.9 HT is much better. Just one mans view.
I guess especially with twins its a solid point. One can always alternate engines trolling and keep the hours down. When I was looking at and setting up my new boat I did think about twin 115’s and no kicker. Always nice to have a back up engine as well which in either set up one has.

I’d run no kicker. To get 100 hours in each engine you have a to troll 200 hours if you are trolling on one engine at a time. That’s 25 8hour trolling days. Do you fish 25 8hour days a year? Even if you do your engines will be pretty old before you put on another 1000 hours.

Back