Investigation: Mcdonald beach

buccaneer

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?29150-gradywhite-overturned-at-Entrance-island

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...snapper-and-cod-galore-at-McDonald-Beach-Ramp

The two recent threads regarding the flipped grady and Mcdonald beach cod and snapper have alerted me to a possible commercial poaching operation in our backyard. From the threads mentioned, it appears the perps are "raping and pillaging" reefs for small rockfish and red snapper as well as undersize female crab. These incidents are allegedly being perpetrated by people refered to as "richmond people", "oriental", and "non-english speaking". As well, some well meaning posters have labelled all " oriental" people as poachers. How can this be? A whole race of people from all walks of life, probably some decent ones in the mix with no regard to our fishing regulations? How can the feds, ie. DFO, let this go on? Why haven't charges been laid?

This has led me to begin an investigation into these alleged offenses.

As many posters have eluded to the difficultly gathering info on the suspects, I knew at the beginning, this was not going to be an easy task. Infiltrating the group would take extra-ordinary measures involving an agent that speaks their language as well as with knowledge of fishing and the regs.

Phase 1 was to scour the internet for info on the mcdonald beach operation. As others have mentioned, this turned up nothing, zilch. No phone number, website, forum reviews. I immediately came to the conclusion that these people are highly sophisticated and must be using some sort of code. I don't know maybe the code word for fishing is "bbq porking" or such... I was getting very frustrated at this point in the investigation.

So began phase 2. Sometimes when all else fails, trying something silly can pay dividends. As this case is proof. This involved asking an "oriental" person if he had heard of such an operation in existence. This led to my first breakthrough in the case. This agent told me there are ads that run in certain "oriental" newspapers offering to take people out fishing. BINGO! First lead and I was keen to follow the trail.....

Enter phase 3. Said agent did not have the newspaper with him so began a massive hunt...this took us to a newstand. I was disturbed to see so much coded reading material sold there. Stacks and stacks of the stuff, why the government lets this go on I don't understand. Something is fishy here. Anyways, that is best left for a new thread. With newspaper in hand, my agent flipped through to a part that had kinda like a few lines and then a price. I think they were selling things there, possibly black market stuff. Anyways, he flipped a few more pages and there it was, like the north star shining bright. I didn't understand what was written but was a picture of a weird looking guy holding a.....RED SNAPPER! Spidey senses vibrating at this point... The ad also showed a PHONE NUMBER and a, you're never gonna believe me, get this....a WEB ADDRESS! At this point was inconclusive as there could easily be more than one operation in place. Was this the alleged poaching operation out of mcdonald beach?

Phase 4 the conclusion of my investigation. This involved 2 parts. Part 1 was have my undercover agent call the number and enquire about booking a charter for 8. I wanted to know where the trip departs from, costs, length of boat, types and amounts of fish and crab we can take home. This indeed was the mcdonald beach operation! Cost of a day trip 138 per/person. 8 hrs. When asked about types of fish and limits she said there is a limit of 1 rockfish, 1 ling per person per day. She also mentioned catch consisting of greenling, sole, cabezon, and pacific cod. I think she was onto us as these were not the answers I was expecting. However when asked about crab she mentioned we could keep 2 per day per person. Wow, I thought to myself, gotcha. The limits 4 per day so obviously some deception going on.

The next thing to do was browse their website for incriminating evidence of an organized commercial poaching operation. This part of my investigation did not involve my agent as he had to go for dimsum. I log onto my computer and go directly to their website. Much to my dismay, it was also coded:( However, there were pictures of the boats and the first one is the same kingfisher often encountered by members at mcdonald beach. This was frustrating as somehow I had to break their code. I thought to myself, there must be some software I can download in order to read what is written. Multiple searches and nothing, but I am not one to give up easily. And my perserverence paid off. I found the code breaking site called google translate! We've come a long ways this world!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I have to be serious now because there were photos of rockfish and snapper which I found difficult to count. Anyways a lot of fish. Were there over limit catches? I don't know as I don't know the number of fishers on a given trip. The website mentions the kingfisher with a capacity of 12 guests. A days limit would be 12 rock/snapper, 12 ling, 36 greenling, 96 cabezon, 96 sole, 96 pacific cod. Some of the pics clearly show more than a days limit of rock and snapper for the number of fishers in the pic. I also notice they advertise, as well as a day excursion, a 2 day trip to gabriola. If that's the case pics could depict a possesion limit and not a daily limit. Some pics show fishing out of Ucluelet, if that's the case the pics could be of wcvi and different limits. Inconclusive.

Assuming they were within the legal limits. Do I like what I see in a couple pictures? NO! I don't like to see anything that could jeopardize the future of our fish stocks.

Many people from many different backgrounds go out to "limit out". Many charter operations post pics of limits including charter operations owned and operated by non-asians, in fact I would not be going out on a limb by saying very few are owned/operated by asians. And I feel it's safe to say most people want to "limit out". This is not an issue exclusive of asians.

It is also my belief if someone is poaching...........HANG 'EM HIGH. But gather evidence of a violation not just hearsay of "I saw them unloading garbage bags of undersized rockys and snapper and rushing to there vehicles"(how do you see through a garbage bag?), "they were acting suspicious" etc. Evidence of poaching would entail a count of licenses, count of each species of fish, size limits if applicable, number of days fishing. How are you doing that while they are rushing to their vehicles and fish in bags or coolers? My point is not to label someone a poacher because he/she doesn't look the same as you. Label someone as a poacher because he/she takes fish or game illegally. I want to add, some posters seem to be sure that violations are taking place. It's not helping the cause to show your prejudice for asians. If your calls to DFO reflect your posts on sfbc, it's probably reasonable to assume you will be ignored. Ex. Hi DFO? I'd like to report a violation...a boat full of "orientals" are unloading garbage bags of small rockfish and snapper at mcdonald beach. Come as fast as you can and bust their asses.... Not gonna work to well.

If you feel offended by this post I'm quite happy about that. I have no problem with racist people. I find it funny. Your views and prejudices, you own them. I got my own. Say what you want in private, with your family, your friends. Hell, raise your children to hate. It's your life. If you want to start a thread on whether or not "orientals" should have the right to fish in Canada, do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm unsure whether to post the link just yet. I have given enough info that anyone can go pick up a chinese language newspaper and look for an ad displaying a red snapper. The number and web addy is under the pic. I prob think too much but I post web addy, posters start to slag off asians, and I post websites of non-asians showing limit catches. Not my intention.

I watched a caucasian guide, from a very prominent guiding/resort outfit get busted, with all caucasians on the boat. This was after I watched a few caucasian sporties get busted for the same thing. They received the book for catching oversize springs in a slot limit area (confiscated gear, fines and I believe pending charges). I will not out them, justice is being served through appropriate channels; they are paying the price. It was a well planned and aggressive sting by DFO on people who absolutely deserved it. It was fantastic to see. They could have dealt with more poaching caucasians too if it didn't take them hours to deal with the two boats of poachers they chose to pursue.

Was very glad to watch what I observed be dealt with appropriately. My point...a poacher is a poacher regardless of race, culture or heritage. There are an insane amount of people from all cultures who continue to disregard the regs; report them all through appropriate channels. Poaching is poaching and race has little to do with it.

P.S. I am caucasian, but more importantly I am Canadian and do not have time for any Canadian who poaches.

I watched a caucasian guide, from a very prominent guiding/resort outfit get busted, with all caucasians on the boat. This was after I watched a few caucasian sporties get busted for the same thing. They received the book for catching oversize springs in a slot limit area (confiscated gear, fines and I believe pending charges). I will not out them, justice is being served through appropriate channels; they are paying the price. It was a well planned and aggressive sting by DFO on people who absolutely deserved it. It was fantastic to see. They could have dealt with more poaching caucasians too if it didn't take them hours to deal with the two boats of poachers they chose to pursue.

Was very glad to watch what I observed be dealt with appropriately. My point...a poacher is a poacher regardless of race, culture or heritage. There are an insane amount of people from all cultures who continue to disregard the regs; report them all through appropriate channels. Poaching is poaching and race has little to do with it.

P.S. I am caucasian, but more importantly I am Canadian and do not have time for any Canadian who poaches.

Thanks for the post. Agree 100%.

It seems it all about the "ME" now. it does not seem to matter what it is it has to be ME first. somehow between my parents and todays children, something got lost. now it seems more and more people will break laws and think little of it because they believe that someway somehow THEY are entitled. morals and respect for others have disappeared. as for people from other cultures I think that if you come from a country where if you steal you lose a hand or worse to where if you get caught poaching you get a $500 fine well that's just acceptable.

So this goes on day after day since about mid May ......they cross the straight regularly these two so called charters . Where the frack is DFO on these guys. Why not make a huge statement and confiscate some boats ........ Post it loud in the media. Canada is just too complacent. It's very very sad really by our officials not following through on these abusers . I hope they sink.

So this goes on day after day since about mid May ......they cross the straight regularly these two so called charters . Where the frack is DFO on these guys. Why not make a huge statement and confiscate some boats ........ Post it loud in the media. Canada is just too complacent. It's very very sad really by our officials not following through on these abusers . I hope they sink.

Who says DFO hasn't tried to bust them? There's no proof at all in any of these threads just allegations with a lot of racism mixed in.

Now you hope they sink? REALLY? You HOPE they SINK?

What a statement!!! If they do sink I hope your the poor fool who has to rescue them... or are you just going to watch them drown and laugh because their skin is different and they may or may not have taken more fish then the regulations say they may take?

And here we go again with the great GDW's opinion ....... you need to take a pill dude ..... your always on your hight horse ...... BLOW HARD !

It isn't racist to report poachers, let's not lose sight of that! Who cares what colour heir skin is or what ethnic community they may belong to! They are thieves stealing from all legitimate fishers! The sad part here is that reported incidents may no be being followed up! This means some people may be taking personal risks to do the right thing, and nothing is happening?

Where is Part 5 of the investigation? Going to McDonald Beach with boots on the ground to see for yourself the egg-filled female crabs heading for the backs of the SUV's. The one to two garbage bags each person is carrying...

Buccanneer, if you are suggesting that this Captain can continuously fill his clients limit of 1 snapper, 1 ling, and every other species on the DFO species chart, well. He must be the best charter captain in all of BC. Day in, Day out.

Go to the beach and see for yourself. I am well equipped with cameras and will be sure to make an effort to further document the violations I see.

What I don't get is there is more sockeye than any of us could catch right now, why not target these fish as whole salmon is like gold to more cultures than just Canadians.

I'm unsure whether to post the link just yet. I have given enough info that anyone can go pick up a chinese language newspaper and look for an ad displaying a red snapper. The number and web addy is under the pic. I prob think too much but I post web addy, posters start to slag off asians, and I post websites of non-asians showing limit catches. Not my intention.

Have you given this info to DFO??

I am am saracstic as well......but given that you now have this info I would encourage you to share it with the proper authorities as it would appear there are lots who have witnessed and will continue to witness.

Have to agree. Go share the info with DFO and offline. If your concerned and others about it spend your effort offline and have a face to face meeting with a person from the office. You need to have a proof and you should be wary of what you say on here... I am not in any way sticking up for people that break rules....

I think enough of you raise the issue they will look into it.... The forum won't do anything.

the oak bay marine group in ueculet takes boatloads of people out and catch scores of rockfish, salmon, halibut, etc day after day after day and often on the same reefs, grounds, area's, etc. they cater to americans (and canadians) and take alot of fish out of the resource. and they are doing things legally. and until you have proof of these other operations doing things illegally then really they probably shouldn't be commented on if it's just through hearsay. myself i think it would be pretty stupid for these other operations to be doing anything under the table and be putting their expensive boats, gear and lively-hood in jeopardy. myself, I just can't see them doing that and hope i'm right. maybe i'm nieve but i hope not... by all means if someone has proof or has seen them break the rules firsthand then let them step up and report it, and/or maybe dfo could check them out.

Where is Part 5 of the investigation? Going to McDonald Beach with boots on the ground to see for yourself the egg-filled female crabs heading for the backs of the SUV's. The one to two garbage bags each person is carrying...

Buccanneer, if you are suggesting that this Captain can continuously fill his clients limit of 1 snapper, 1 ling, and every other species on the DFO species chart, well. He must be the best charter captain in all of BC. Day in, Day out.

Go to the beach and see for yourself. I am well equipped with cameras and will be sure to make an effort to further document the violations I see.

What I don't get is there is more sockeye than any of us could catch right now, why not target these fish as whole salmon is like gold to more cultures than just Canadians.

If you read back through the threads pertaining to this charter company, you will find that I have never accused them of poaching. I haven't seen any violations unlike yourself. Perhaps part 5 should be left those that have evidence such as yourself?

So you got boots...get walkin'. I on the other hand wear flipflops.

the oak bay marine group in ueculet takes boatloads of people out and catch scores of rockfish, salmon, halibut, etc day after day after day and often on the same reefs, grounds, area's, etc. they cater to americans (and canadians) and take alot of fish out of the resource. and they are doing things legally. and until you have proof of these other operations doing things illegally then really they probably shouldn't be commented on if it's just through hearsay. myself i think it would be pretty stupid for these other operations to be doing anything under the table and be putting their expensive boats, gear and lively-hood in jeopardy. myself, I just can't see them doing that and hope i'm right. maybe i'm nieve but i hope not... by all means if someone has proof or has seen them break the rules firsthand then let them step up and report it, and/or maybe dfo could check them out.

I have seen the referenced boat jigging at Seymour Landing which is on the southeast corner of Bowen.....and I can tell you they were NOT jigging for salmon in that little cove. ;) Have also seen boats (not the ones referenced in this thread) jigging in Brigade and Buccaneer Bay on the northeast side of Gambier. I saw Rockies going in the cooler in both cases where they are closed for bottom fish.

BTW.....I did call DFO when I witnessed it.

I have seen the referenced boat jigging at Seymour Landing which is on the southeast corner of Bowen.....and I can tell you they were NOT jigging for salmon in that little cove. ;) Have also seen boats (not the ones referenced in this thread) jigging in Brigade and Buccaneer Bay on the northeast side of Gambier. I saw Rockies going in the cooler in both cases where they are closed for bottom fish.

BTW.....I did call DFO when I witnessed it.

Pippen, I can't argue you seeing rockfish going into a cooler. Just want to point out bottom fishing is not closed in area 28. From what I understand, one can jig for sole, greenling, etc. but not rockfish and ling. Unless those areas are rca.

And unless that area is flat sandy bottom(sole), I don't agree with the ethics. Bycatch of rockies would be inevitable and we all know they don't survive release well.

Back