HALIBUT CLOSURE

Again we do not know anything yet for sure so for now what if’s are just that. But wen managing under heavy restraints is likely, I favour more consultation over less

Even if we double the amount of harvest during Feb and March it would be less the 1% of the TAC

I think my maths wrong... LOL current less than 40,000 LBS to 80,000 LBS is 8% on 1 million TAC

Last edited:
Just so everyone is clear of what it means not having an opening on Feb 1.
2016 harvest was 17,000 lbs of that 12,000 lbs came from area 19. That's Victoria area .... you know the area that is taken the biggest hit on salmon regulations. I for one can not ask them to take another hit for me.
19-eng.png

I would prefer it if instead of rushing to a Feb 1st or so opening, we take time to give opportunity for consultation with all SFAC groups befor locking down any potential changes to the regs and or our approach to gaining more TAC. I know opportunity is there leading up to IPHC regarding regs, but in reality it is based on speculative info and hard to be detailed in suggesting/considering options.

The guiding principals (SFAB) for halibut was asked at the fall a meeting of the SFAC..I know I asked my smaller then normal group for there input in Nov. and it was give to me for the area 17 folks...

If the upcoming regs do not start until April 1, I know most sfac groups have meetings end of February early March, why wouldn’t you bring forward the actual reg options to be contemplated there and then a good more detailed discussion can take place...

van island should start feb 1 end oct 15
north should start may1 -end sept 15

who takes the biggest chunk of our tac?

What if there is not enough quota for that?

The guiding principals (SFAB) for halibut was asked at the fall a meeting of the SFAC..I know I asked my smaller then normal group for there input in Nov. and it was give to me for the area 17 folks...

That is a good point. I was just trying to say that if we end up with a substantial enough cut in TAC that heavy restrictions are required in order to meet those terms I would prefer to have a chance to review/visit it at an SFAC level before possibly chewing up a bunch under last years regs resulting in early closure during peak.

Again my personal preference,with the understandings that we do not yet have TAC

Because of timing IPHC and Feb.03 opening.. and the Main board SFAB meeting (Feb 3/4th)..were all areas are in one room to discuss what works best for all....... it has to be decide well before April 1st as it needs to be a condition of licence.... There will be an other discussion March 15 at are area 17 meeting this year.. the fall discussion was about the guiding principals for the hali committee has to use to decide the season.. depending of course on what the allocation is..example.. do we want it to run a full season or run a 1/2 season... or if needs to be 1 fish possession 1 or the current 1 large fish one smaller fish...ect....gives the committee more tools in the tool box to use..of course always depends on what we are allocated...

If the upcoming regs do not start until April 1, I know most sfac groups have meetings end of February early March, why wouldn’t you bring forward the actual reg options to be contemplated there and then a good more detailed discussion can take place...

that would mean more people have to show up to there area meeting. Across the board seems to a trend of people not wants or not carrying to show up and be part of the discussions...the floor is always open to have such discussion's

But you rush a very important decision that affects everyone. There’s no chance of an actual proper consultation and review of options which affects the whole coast and southern part of island for more than one single month when relatively very few people fish.

Should be pretty obvious a proper consultation and review is more important.

No one is rushing anything as far as I have heard. I wasn't going to say anything as this always gets heated, and its not an effective way to discuss on a forum. Look the North island is not center of universe nor is the South. Meetings were all held with the area SFAB guys which everyone should have attended, and I believe each rep put those concerns at each meeting forward to main SFAC board. In South please keep in mind with all of the chinook restrictions in the south you can't simply say that no people fish on a month just because it doesn't allow due to weather, or your guiding operations are closed in your area up North. A lot of businesses so you realize were effected by the Sept. early closure as some south guiding operations have now started to rely on it as Victoria still has a large amount of tourists at this time in the fall.

Anyway I will bow out of this, but Serengeti ( and this isn't criticizing just an observation) maybe as suggestion moving forward you need to be in your own SFAB board representing/involved in the North. I am surprised you are not with some of the discussions we had on here. Especially in your case with a business that is heavily dependent on that resource. Seems like you have valuable input that could be beneficial instead of on a fishing forum. Anyways let the process work out, and we will all see what is in store in next few weeks. I would love to see an opening soon, but I have no idea what is planned.

Last edited:
I am reading a ton of work by a very dedicated group of people, and all users looking after their interests. Rightfully so when your livelihood depends on this. I am not reading about, how, what, when and who to start donating $$$$$$ too to facilitate an end to this yearly stressful problem and transfer a public resource back to the public and change the TAC.

Again he who owns the TAC is laughing at us all.

Thanks again guys for all your hard work, I worry that if yearly we keep getting the same TAC % with less fish, size and season length there will come a point where only commercials or poachers harvest halibut. Will a trip for 1 fish be worth the effort, costs, boat? Our ranks will thin and our united voice silenced.

HM

Just doing some quick math for percentage of catch for recreational sector from IPHC documents:

Area 2A: 515,000 / 1.125mill = 41%

Area 2B: 15%

Area 2C: 2.294mill / 6.402 mill = 35.8%

Area 3A: 3.904mill / 11.491mill = 34%

And we are only asking for 20%? These numbers alone shown to our government you would hope would make them figure it out....jesus. This is where the battle lies.

thanks glg!! not a huge difference between north and south! a shift in openings and closures for each area could work!!
Amazing it's so close when you consider the population base though?

thanks glg!! not a huge difference between north and south! a shift in openings and closures for each area could work!!

Not to open up a can of worms, but perhaps a non Canadian resident not getting the same limits? In the north area there are a high percentage of non Canadians at Lodges that are taking a fair chunk of the TAC. I assume it's the same down south, with folks making the boat trip into Canadian waters to catch Halibut.

With the low Canadian dollar it's inviting to others to fish our waters.

Not to open up a can of worms, but perhaps a non Canadian resident not getting the same limits? In the north area there are a high percentage of non Canadians at Lodges that are taking a fair chunk of the TAC. I assume it's the same down south, with folks making the boat trip into Canadian waters to catch Halibut.

With the low Canadian dollar it's inviting to others to fish our waters.
It’s not just the exchange rate as an inviting factor as Washington state is closed for Halibut after May

My Point:

Personally as someone that does not live on island and books a charter I would rather have a shorter season with a larger possession limit. Hali is a meat fishery, IMO there is not much sport to it. When I book a charter it very much helps subsides the cost and more importantly helps convince my better half. If they do lower the possession limit then I would most likely book for salmon with a chance at Hali. I would no longer book a solo hali trip.

Can of worms point:

Commercial Fishermen fish for all of BC/ Canada, If them having a larger TAC means cheaper prices at the till then is it not a win for all of Canada? Less TAC for them, less supply to the markets. They already took my favorite halibut dish off the menu at Browns Socialhouse due to the high cost of Halibut.

Back