HALIBUT CLOSURE

My Point:

Can of worms point:

Commercial Fishermen fish for all of BC/ Canada, If them having a larger TAC means cheaper prices at the till then is it not a win for all of Canada? Less TAC for them, less supply to the markets. They already took my favorite halibut dish off the menu at Browns Socialhouse due to the high cost of Halibut.

I don't believe most of the commercial catch is kept in Canada but exported! Just sayin!

Why don't we just build a wall to keep the Americans out all together and get the job of putting all the lodges and local residents out of work now rather than drag it out over the next few years by reducing limits for paying visitors. (sarcasm for those who miss that)

Good argument Pro-Fisher. I only brought it up for discussion to get folks views on it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Alaska has non-resident limits different from residents? & that's even if you are only from a different state..?. If so they don't seem to be suffering?

On another note, & my counter argument. Havent Canadians given up enough of the resource (85%) so folks can keep work on commercial sector.

Why don't we just build a wall to keep the Americans out all together and get the job of putting all the lodges and local residents out of work now rather than drag it out over the next few years by reducing limits for paying visitors. (sarcasm for those who miss that)

South east Alaska has different limits for non residence for chinook.

Good argument Pro-Fisher. I only brought it up for discussion to get folks views on it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Alaska has non-resident limits different from residents? & that's even if you are only from a different state..?. If so they don't seem to be suffering?

On another note, & my counter argument. Havent Canadians given up enough of the resource (85%) so folks can keep work on commercial sector.

Halibut limits in Alaska for guided vs unguided are different. Guided in area 3A is two per day, one ANY size, one under about 9 lbs I believe. Guided in area 2C is one fish per day, but must be under 30lbs or over 200lbs. I believe there is no possession limit but if there is one I think it is 4 total halibut PER person.

Unguided anglers can take 2 halibut per day, ANY size.

Tough to compete with area 3A that's for sure, as well as more liberal possession limits.

For whatever reason our recreational lobbying in Canada sucks compared to the US as rec sectors there have 35-41% of the pie compared to 15% for us...

Until fishermen fight for a bigger realistic % not going to happen.

And they might be in the mood to do so real soon.

Canada’s TCEY 7.1 million which represents a 14.7% decrease from last years tac... I would like to thank those involved this year for holding the line and it could have been a whole lot worst....

Correct me if I'm wrong but that represents a rec sector total of around 940,000 as the FCEY is less than 7.1 around 6.3 mill pounds

That's down 180,000 lbs from last year for the rec sector.

Need to go asking for 25%...negotiating 101 ask for more than you need (or at least look at trends as I bet in a couple years 20% wouldn't be enough). Especially if survey continues this way we will be at 1/1 and god knows how large the limit will be. 3A is 2 per day, one any size, and 4 possession, 2C is one under 25lbs or over 200lbs and no possession limit, tough to compete with that, although 2C 25lb thing is crappy for em.

I know fixed number solution has been put forward before which would be ideal but don't think DFO will go for that.

The resource is dwindling. Hmmm, wonder why. . .hint. . .not the Americans or any other sector's rec fishers' faults:

https://halibutchronicles.com/2018/01/25/why-are-halibut-stocks-declining/

Want to take the heat off of this yearly thrash? Start on the commercials. . .the illegal catch alone frees up quota. Then curb the bycatch. Then bring the legal target catch part back in line with what the resource is capable of producing. Presto, more halibut for all,

fb

PS (edit): full disclosure I'm an American non-wall-building rec fisher, pretty much the same interests as you do-it-yerselfers.

That is a good article fishbadger. Very poor management to say the least! Treat the area like a rockfish conservation area like they do here in BC and prohibit all fishing. Until big money is not the number 1 priority there will be no change and fish stocks will continue to decline.

Ps - writing my letter to minister now for 25%. May not do much but if everyone does and we get some protests going could help. The “process” hasn’t helped us so far.

I will echo the appreciation for those who put the time in to represent our interests!
So,what will that translate to as far as size and limit?

I also agree that even 20 percent will not be enough to actually provide a realistic and fair representation of the social/economic vale of the rec sector.

Ps - writing my letter to minister now for 25%. May not do much but if everyone does and we get some protests going could help. The “process” hasn’t helped us so far.

As stated many times before the SFAB is not lobbing its a advisory process... anything done regarding allocation & lobbing is outside of the SFAB mandate........ when the timing is right we will go get what is deserved for the sport sector..............

The reality is that the Minister will not change a thing unless the hand is forced.
It has to become an aspect of change during an election year or a protest of mass proportions.
Believe me...letters will do nothing and most likely won’t even make it to top.
All the time I’ve spent at meetings over the years with regards to all of this and believe me....DFO is such a mess internally that nothing gets done on most days.

Take the experimental-halibut licence for instance.
Basically uninforcable and a total slap in the rec sectors face and years of trying everything to get DFO to abolish any transfer mechanism between the rec sector and the commercial
Sector...has them continuing to support the program.
It’s discraceful to say the least and no matter what sort of solid evidence and letters we send about the total scam it is...DFO continues to support it.

And now this TAC problem that we have had for years and everyone keeps saying we are hoping for a better resolution....don’t hold your breathe.
Like I said before...letters won’t do a dam thing.

Correct me if I’m wrong but say if we all booked trips in April and went out and fished, like every single salt fishermen they wouldn’t close the fishery come May would they?

Relying on fly-by boat counts and lodge records is not enough info
to accurately access the halibut fishery.
DFO are playing a guessing game and really have no idea how many fish are caught.
Even a mandatory licence return would give them a better idea of annual consumption
but still would not work while "in season"

I also feel your frustration, but don't agree that writing letters doesn't do anything. Politicians want to be elected or reelected above all else. 300,000 recreational fishermen equates to a lot of votes. Compared to the clout of other special interest groups though, we have none. Why? Because we don't present a united front, don't make waves and don't get heard. The law abiding hard working taxpayer is taken for granted,its assumed that we will be annoyed but not change our vote over a single issue. Look to the enviros and other special interest groups if you want an example of a squeaky wheel getting the grease. Most are organized very vocal and are heard, essentially punching way above their weight.

That's why I personally believe in writing the Minister, my MP and my MLA. I appreciate that as luck would have it my MP and MLA are opposition members, but so what. Their job is to raise my concerns and if they don't then sayonara! The opposition is full of BS if they say they can't do anything, they should be leaping at the chance to take the government to task, that's why there's a question period. Of course if they bring up our issue, theY risk pissing off someone else, so the safe action is no action, sound familiar. If you write a letter,which is considered much more formal than an email you should expect an answer. If you don't get one then in your next letter you should remind that politician that he or she won't be getting your vote.

We have to start somewhere!

Relying on fly-by boat counts and lodge records is not enough info
to accurately access the halibut fishery.
DFO are playing a guessing game and really have no idea how many fish are caught.
Even a mandatory licence return would give them a better idea of annual consumption
but still would not work while "in season"

The question then become are they over or underestimating and is there an opportunity to sway them to a different system that would favour us more.

The question then become are they over or underestimating and is there an opportunity to sway them to a different system that would favour us more.

They will always overestimate the recreational take in order to be safe.
There is no incentive for them to favour us.

Back