Halibut bank just a clever name?

H

halibud

Has anyone fish halibut bank? Are there halibut there? How far south can you catch Halibut?

Back in the early 1900's there was a fishery for Halibut on the inner strait and large numbers were taken from that area. It was shipped to places like new York in the late 1800's. If I remember what I read correctly the upper Georgia Strait, Exeter and Sentry Shoals produced large numbers of halibut and I can remember seeing pictures of halibut caught from the paper mill docks in Powell River around the same era.

As Kisinana said, it's a historical name. The halibut throughout Georgia Strait were fished out a 100 years ago.
While you may ***** and groan about the IPHC setting limits on halibut catches, if it wasn't for them Juan de Fuca and Swuftsure would probably have suffered the same fate.
Cheerful isn't it?

Ya me and Bushy loaded up the hali gear and ran down to the bank and fished hard and got skunked. It was July /07 and we did'nt even catch a ling or rockfish.Save your time and gas and try somewhere else, don't fall for the name like we did.Maybe we could change the name to "AINT NO HALIBUT HERE ANYMORE BANK"

I wouldn't be surprised if they slowly come back. I remember seeing a picture of a nice sized one caught off Roberts Creek a couple years back. Don't know why they wouldn't slowly repopulate the strait.

I wonder what the reasoning was behind making the two banks out there (Halibut and McCall)RCAs? Have they really had much fishing pressure is recent history? Is the structure really that good? I think it was probably a good idea, but just wondering what the reasoning was behind some of these RCAs.

quote:The halibut throughout Georgia Strait were fished out a 100 years ago.

Come on now. We all know it was sea lice and salmon farms that killed all the halibut in the strait. Dont go poining the finger anywhere else or Agent Aqua and Little Hawk will harras you with Miss Morton herself.

Same goes for Abalone, Pilchards, Basking sharks, Mermaids.....

Hi Halibud

Just after I bought my boat last year I decided to take a run out to Halibut Bank form Horseshoe Bay to give the boat a good run and see if I could find a Halibut. I was laughed at by a few of the tackle shops I talked to about halibut in the strait (or should I say Salish Sea :D). I picked a spot north of the RCA the evening before where the bottom came up to a pinnicle and plotted it into my gps. When I arrived I dropped anchor and dropped a Berkley Gulp 8" squid. The second it hit bottom a 25lb chicken hit. I fished the rest of the day and one other day a couple weeks later without any luck. My guess would be that there are a few hali's in the strait and since they are not fished for the chances of getting into one would be reasonable. That being said if you live on the island I couldn't imagine going through the effort with the west coast so prolific.

Every year, there are a bunch of good sized Halibut caught around Campbell River - if they are getting this far in, then they should be everywhere on the inside. Just not in big numbers.

When I lived and fished in Vancouver, there was a rumour that one guide was regularly catching Halibut in some "hole" just off Sandheads. I never tried, but I sure would have like to.

Well at least there is hope to catch halibut here. A friend of mine told me years ago he heard of a large halibut caught off the lower section of Gambier island. Probly BS but sounds good! I might poke around in the (Salish Sea)[}:)]for a while. Can't hurt. I will have to study the RCA's better because I had no idea the two areas were closed. Glad you guys are around! DFO doesn't take "I didn't know" for an answer! Happy fishing fellas see you out there! Halibud.

Back