Halibut In Desolation Sound?

Salish Ranger

Hello All,

I’m heading up to Cortes, Stuart Island and Shoal Bay in a few days. I normally fish halibut in the Broughtons but was wondering if there are any decent spots In Desolation?

Thanks.

Hello All,

I’m heading up to Cortes, Stuart Island and Shoal Bay in a few days. I normally fish halibut in the Broughtons but was wondering if there are any decent spots In Desolation?

Thanks.
I’ll be around Cortez Monday - Weds as well… no experience with hali there but will be searching out some bottom fish and salmon hopefully… stop and say hi or give a shout on the radio if you see a green aluminum Sylvan (inboard). Glad to share info if I have anything worth sharing.

Thanks, that’s good to know. Chickens are a great size.

Were you specifically jigging for them or just picked it up on the troll?
Fish Lewis Lewis channel on the ebb tide. Troll in the middle of the channel Drop your gear to the bottoms about 200.once you get to teakrane arm the bottom drops away to 600/700 feet. Turn and troll north. Just tack back and forth on the 200 ft plateau Should be chinook and the odd halibut

I’ll be around Cortez Monday - Weds as well… no experience with hali there but will be searching out some bottom fish and salmon hopefully… stop and say hi or give a shout on the radio if you see a green aluminum Sylvan (inboard). Glad to share info if I have anything worth sharing.
My brother is up there now. He’s reporting loads of coho around a Twin Islands and some mid teen chinooks.

I’ll be in a Ranger Tug with a blue hull. 🙂

Fish Lewis Lewis channel on the ebb tide. Troll in the middle of the channel Drop your gear to the bottoms about 200.once you get to teakrane arm the bottom drops away to 600/700 feet. Turn and troll north. Just tack back and forth on the 200 ft plateau Should be chinook and the odd halibut
Thank you. I’ll try that. If I can hit it at slack I’ll try pounding the bottom. My freezer is already full of salmon so I don’t need any more at the moment. (Crazy talk, I know)

Back