halibut and lodges and quota

Quite simple...a protest of boats doesn't change the mind of government...but a flotilla of recreational fishers and guides out in front of business (offending lodges) will have a big impact because customers will be horrified at first and then educated. Any other lodge considering it would really think twice.

Hey PF.....I agree it's a good idea but do you think it would do much? If some tourist pays thousands of dollars to fish with one of these lodges would you think a couple of things?

1. They paid a lot of money to be there and likely want to take home as much as they can without concern for the local issues. Some may and some won't.....you're a guide and you can definitely speak better to it than I can.
  2. If a lodge such as noted earlier in the thread is buying quota....do you think their guides are going to share the ugly side of this whole issue?
  3. The only reason I ask this is as an example. I am at YVR usually every second week if not weekly travelling for work. There has been a protest in front of the Chinese embassy for eons on behalf of Tibet. (I think). Not once in 24 years of living here have I taken the onus to look any deeper into the issues. Sure....I hear it on the news from time to time and not to sound insensitive but I have bigger fish to fry.
  4. I like what you're saying and would do it myself.....I am just wondering if the impact would be lost in the effort?

Hey PF.....I agree it's a good idea but do you think it would do much? If some tourist pays thousands of dollars to fish with one of these lodges would you think a couple of things?

1. They paid a lot of money to be there and likely want to take home as much as they can without concern for the local issues. Some may and some won't.....you're a guide and you can definitely speak better to it than I can.
  2. If a lodge such as noted earlier in the thread is buying quota....do you think their guides are going to share the ugly side of this whole issue?
  3. The only reason I ask this is as an example. I am at YVR usually every second week if not weekly travelling for work. There has been a protest in front of the Chinese embassy for eons on behalf of Tibet. (I think). Not once in 24 years of living here have I taken the onus to look any deeper into the issues. Sure....I hear it on the news from time to time and not to sound insensitive but I have bigger fish to fry.
  4. I like what you're saying and would do it myself.....I am just wondering if the impact would be lost in the effort?
I agree that i don't think a protest like that would have much impact. I was under the impression that the SFI was going to give offending lodges the boot. I wonder if that has actually happened, i may investigate that when i get a chance to

Quite simple...a protest of boats doesn't change the mind of government...but a flotilla of recreational fishers and guides out in front of business (offending lodges) will have a big impact because customers will be horrified at first and then educated. Any other lodge considering it would really think twice.

If rec anglers put this much effort into a frotilla or two blockage in front of vic harbour or vancouver for more than 15% then maybe something would actually get done in that regard...much better allocation of effort than in front of a lodge...waiting for something that smart to get organized... (ie learn from how commies and other organizations get things done, it isn't by showing we are trying to buy in to dfo efforts [ie current strategy] but we seem inable to do so)

good thing this disease hasnt spread in Barkley Sound.

I think it would work because most guests aren't aware of the politics of buying quota and the lodges aren't going to educate them. I think most recreational anglers if informed would not participate and would question the lodge staff/owner as to why they are. Also no one on holidays wants confrontation.

I have been to both the North Island Langara & Hippa lodges. Vast majority of guests are from BC & regs were made very apparent to the point of releasing larger lines & not catching limits of Rockfish. Brett in Masset does not retain rockfish (uses singles on his Anchovies too).
Right now the Alaska regs are even more restrictive for non-residents, so i image size regs are a fact of life for most Lodge guests.

I have ditched trebles for this fishery; WTF you need trebles & barbs to catch bottom fish - better takeup Golf, something any Douche bag can do.

I have been to both the North Island Langara & Hippa lodges. Vast majority of guests are from BC & regs were made very apparent to the point of releasing larger lines & not catching limits of Rockfish. Brett in Masset does not retain rockfish (uses singles on his Anchovies too).
Right now the Alaska regs are even more restrictive for non-residents, so i image size regs are a fact of life for most Lodge guests.

I have ditched trebles for this fishery; WTF you need trebles & barbs to catch bottom fish - better takeup Golf, something any Douche bag can do.

Agree with everything said here except golf being easier than fishing. Not even close.

If someone choose to use treble... what's the problem with that...why make someone feel quiltly for something that is allowed in the regs?? If u have choosen to go down the route good on u..many have chosen that route :) And not everyone can golf....fore :0 :)

Exactly. There still seems to be this ongoing theme across the forum to get even more restrictions than we do. No thanks. I thought we were talking about quota anyway?

Exactly. There still seems to be this ongoing theme across the forum to get even more restrictions than we do. No thanks. I thought we were talking about quota anyway?

I agree 100%! This forum is about us guys getting more of the quota. The whole point in this is to be able to retain the fish we want to harvest.

I am sick of the guilt trips from folks when someone wants to keep some rock fish. Those rock fish are our resource not to be owned but a corporation.

This whole treble hook argument is B.S..... It don't matter. If it helps get a fish to the boat, so what. As long as they are barbless.

If people have objections, that's fine as you are allowed to have your opinion. How ever keep it to your self. Advice is not needed unless asked.

Sorry, but I hate how other hunters and fisherman are always in fighting.

From my own experience & studies I have read trebles do matter. Most of the "ocean front' states in the US agree & have banned them. I you wanna stick your head in the sand & ignore reality be my guest. I read one study on Steelhead citing a 4x increase in mortality with trebles versus singles.

Fore....... :) if u have read those studies u will find the leading problem is actually hook size..the bigger the hook single or treble the larger the mort rate.. Fresh water mort. rates vary a lot from the saltwater ones...2 different topics actually so if u want to talk single and trebles salt water then lets talk the hook size ..most likely we would find some common ground... perhaps we should take this topic to a another thread as we are derailing this one...

Last edited:
Salt water, not fresh water.

Show us the scientific results please.

From my own experience & studies I have read trebles do matter. Most of the "ocean front' states in the US agree & have banned them. I you wanna stick your head in the sand & ignore reality be my guest. I read one study on Steelhead citing a 4x increase in mortality with trebles versus singles.

get yer own post going! railroader taking it off the rails!!

I agree that i don't think a protest like that would have much impact. I was under the impression that the SFI was going to give offending lodges the boot. I wonder if that has actually happened, i may investigate that when i get a chance to

What would happen if the SFI gave them the boot?
I doubt tourists are aware of which private clubs exist in BC, be it SFI, or CTAG.

What would happen if the SFI gave them the boot?
I doubt tourists are aware of which private clubs exist in BC, be it SFI, or CTAG.

great question!

most tourists have no clue... at -all. !

great question!

most tourists have no clue... at -all. !

Partly it's they don't know, but part that it doesn't matter.
Belonging to clubs is great for locals to vett lodges and guides, but the vast majority of tourists are simply here for the experience of catching large fish and getting their possession limit.
We can do our best to gradually vett our regulars and end up with a clientele of avid sportsmen with great morals, but I don't think the demand (new customers) side of the equation cares.

Back