halibut and lodges and quota

a 75lb hali was just posted on the book of faces... i assume 75lb is over size in my experience? NOOTKA LODGE?

my facebook comments got edited by them..

the famous line,," just under" is used . lol

does anyone know how much quota was bought this year by the public sector?

Last edited:
Q
Yeah seems fishy. I don't work up there full time anymore but did for years and never heard of lodges allowing this or buying quota so it's got me very curious.

Agree, the only one I knew of was "Naden Lodge", & I am not sure if they do anymore after back lash from locals. My guess is it could be a small owner operator.

a 75lb hali was just posted on the book of faces... i assume 75lb is over size in my experience? NOOTKA LODGE?

does anyone know how much quota was bought this year by the public sector?

It would be as close as possible to have a 75lber. Mine was 67lbs & one other guy had a 69lber and they were both 133cm & maybe at most 0.2cm over. (Which is impossible to know out in the water)

Both fish didn't have much in the stomach so in theory if it had a meal and had not took a crap it could be possible. (Just not probable)

Regarding purchasing quota, there is this from a DFO site

Recreational Fishery Summary

There are two opportunities for recreational halibut fishing in area 2B, the recreational fishery, and the Experimental Recreational Halibut fishery pilot program (XRQ fishery). The 2016 recreational Halibut TAC was 1,100,950 net pounds. The XRQ fishery has acquired 9,573 net pounds, resulting in a combined recreational and XRQ fishery TAC of 1,110,523 net pounds as of January 3, 2017 (Table 3). The estimated 2016 Canadian recreational Halibut catch totalled 1,100,804 net pounds, including 5,343 net pounds of catch in the XRQ fishery. The estimation methods of the recreational catch are outlined in 2016 Canadian Recreational Fishery Halibut Catch Report.

If I read this right 5,343 lbs was purchased? I'm no expert or insider, so maybe someone else has a better source.

There are two opportunities for recreational halibut fishing in area 2B, the recreational fishery, and the Experimental Recreational Halibut fishery pilot program (XRQ fishery). The 2016 recreational Halibut TAC was 1,100,950 net pounds. The XRQ fishery has acquired 9,573 net pounds, resulting in a combined recreational and XRQ fishery TAC of 1,110,523 net pounds as of January 3, 2017 (Table 3). The estimated 2016 Canadian recreational Halibut catch totalled 1,100,804 net pounds, including 5,343 net pounds of catch in the XRQ fishery. The estimation methods of the recreational catch are outlined in 2016 Canadian Recreational Fishery Halibut Catch Report.

If I read this right 5,343 lbs was purchased? I'm no expert or insider, so maybe someone else has a better source.

That seems like a lot by lodge standards!?! Can commys buy the quota?

they were already gifted it.

and up north honestly 5000 lbs aint that much.. that is only really 50 100lb fish, in an area where 150-200lbers are very common.

Anyone can buy it. I remember talking to a Dentist who told me him and his buddy use it every year to bring extra fish home. I didn't ask where he used it. I don't think any lodge could say no if you had your own paper work and quota was in your name.

I suspect that the manitou that weight is from personal anglers who want to bring extra fish home or kill a over.

so possibly, these hopefully only few lodges or guides prepare there hali hunting customers to pre buy their own quota as to not imply they support it? or they can pre buy when they get to the lodge when they find out the rules?

I encourage anyone that has an interest in this issue to read this webpage. It's written by someone that arguably knows more about our fishery than anyone else here on the West Coast. Here is a snippet from the web page.

http://www.wcfga.com/experimental-halibut-quota-leasing-scheme/

Based on the most recent information available, in 2016 a total of 97 licenses were issued, 67 of which were carried over from the previous season, and a total of 8,653 pounds of halibut quota was transferred from the commercial sector to experimental licence holders, of which 5,082 pounds of halibut has been reported caught.

Since its inception, the Sport Fishing Advisory Board, The Sport Fishing Institute of BC, and the BC Wildlife federation have strongly opposed this program.

Why do anglers and angling organizations oppose this program?

One of the fundamental principles that underlies the continued access of the public to fishery resources in BC is the concept of common property. In this context, fishery resources are owned by the people of Canada, and are managed by the federal government for the benefit of all Canadians.

It is through the application of common property rights that you and your fellow anglers still continue to enjoy relatively unfettered access to both fishery and wildlife resources in Canada. This is not the case in other countries where these resources can be privately owned and managed for the benefit of the landowner or quota holder. Access to fishing and hunting in these areas is highly restricted, and typically comes with a very hefty fee to the resource owner.

Great post GLG. It's through education that will help fix this. Only a few days ago I had no real understanding of it. I suspect most anglers are the same.

With us helping to educate other anglers, & not getting mad at them right away is how we can make a difference. Now that said, if someone has been brought up to speed & still pursue with leased quota, then one can shun them.

This forum is a great resource for people to get educated & is a great tool to get the word out.

Yea you are close but not quite. This from the IPHC doc and Table 3
http://www.iphc.int/meetings/2017am/IPHC-2017-AM093-AR08a.pdf

XRQ acquired quota + 6,762
2015 XRQ Underages + 2,811
2015 XRQ Overages + 0
Net carryover + 2,811
XRQ TAC 9,573

So it looks like for 2016 6,762 pounds were leased from the comm to the recs.

Agreed and of the 6,762 acquired 5343 was actually landed. So not all the leased was used in 2016 just 5,343 pounds of it.

I encourage anyone that has an interest in this issue to read this webpage. It's written by someone that arguably knows more about our fishery than anyone else here on the West Coast. Here is a snippet from the web page.

http://www.wcfga.com/experimental-halibut-quota-leasing-scheme/

Based on the most recent information available, in 2016 a total of 97 licenses were issued, 67 of which were carried over from the previous season, and a total of 8,653 pounds of halibut quota was transferred from the commercial sector to experimental licence holders, of which 5,082 pounds of halibut has been reported caught.

Since its inception, the Sport Fishing Advisory Board, The Sport Fishing Institute of BC, and the BC Wildlife federation have strongly opposed this program.

Why do anglers and angling organizations oppose this program?

One of the fundamental principles that underlies the continued access of the public to fishery resources in BC is the concept of common property. In this context, fishery resources are owned by the people of Canada, and are managed by the federal government for the benefit of all Canadians.

It is through the application of common property rights that you and your fellow anglers still continue to enjoy relatively unfettered access to both fishery and wildlife resources in Canada. This is not the case in other countries where these resources can be privately owned and managed for the benefit of the landowner or quota holder. Access to fishing and hunting in these areas is highly restricted, and typically comes with a very hefty fee to the resource owner.

This was a great read. Why have we not got any more quota since we got that extra 3%?

This was a great read. Why have we not got any more quota since we got that extra 3%?
Good question, lord knows we have tried. There seem to be a notion that public resources are better managed in the private sector. Therefore when you give them the resource then government can wash its hands of the problem and let the magic hand of the market fix the "problem". To understand all this there are two things that you need to be aware of, one is the tragedy of the commons and the other is game theroy.

Well some one on here said no, buddy is managing the lodge and his answer was YES!

does this also mean Moutcha Bay, and Newton Cove? same owners as far as i know.

this is why i am asking, we should have a resource to openly see who is getting quota, no hearsay, no dirty secrets. if someone or a company is buying a common resource, shouldnt we have the right to know who is buying OUR fish? then make informed decisions based on this. This should not be viewed at all like witch hunt but an actual fact process. So where can one go to kill a big one? Where can i refer others to go? who want to, when i refuse to?

Moucha Bay resort has bought and sold quota in the past. don't know why they would change...

Back