Halibut anchoring system

Here's a great discussion of old style anchors. Guess I talked myself into a newer style next purchase. :)

http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-anchors/old-generation-anchors.php

I think an extra tweak to the breakaway style chain on the Bruce style would be to use a much smaller chain, say 500lb strength or so, from the "heel" of the anchor up the shank to where the tie wraps attach the chain to the eye. At that point upsize with a shackle to the real working chain. I think it makes it tough for the Bruce to go claw side down when there is a lot of chain weight on the opposite side of the shank. Also if you end up in the very, very rare case where the anchor is truly fouled: the weak chain right at the anchor will probably break safely and you'll only lose an anchor and a couple feet of cheap chain. You should get all your main chain and rope back: sort of a double break away rig. :)

Finally for you guys that are rerigging boats with twins and have the cash: you can now get Auto Pilots that will anchor the boat for you with the outboards. I think that's got to be worth a LOT in terms of safety.. Check out Skyhook Anchor for Merc but I think other brands have similar options.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/gauges-and-controls/steering/joystick-piloting-for-outboards/

Video of Skyhook in action.
http://youtu.be/uchXzhhY4ZY

just saw a vid on the weekend with the joystick control...... amazing. never seen outboards going opposite way
Evinrude eTec G2 with Optimus on a 3025 Kingfisher https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXH4yK2aIWI

sorry for hijack

Samnjoe,
That's the great thing and the problem with this forum, so many guys fishing different areas and no one knowing where that is. Sadly, we are focused on the lower South Island and fail to appreciate the challenges and benefits less populated areas have to offer. Some of our popular hali spots would look like a parking lot to you. Lots of boats, friggin currents and jockeying for position. Good to know that Port Hardy offers the chance to fish shallow with few if any boats around to compete. If you ever get down this way and want to see the opposite side of your experience I'd be happy to take you along. Plus I got 700' of 5/8" braided rode that I hate pulling in! Lol

Thanks man
My boat lives in CR so I never fish south of Uki.
Usually Winter harbor and Port Hardy with trips up as far as Whale channel.
Couldn't handle the crowds down south.
It was thick with small Halis this year.
Schools of 10 pounders.
We were getting them trolling salmon at 150 in 400 feet of water.

Samnjoe,
That's the great thing and the problem with this forum, so many guys fishing different areas and no one knowing where that is. Sadly, we are focused on the lower South Island and fail to appreciate the challenges and benefits less populated areas have to offer. Some of our popular hali spots would look like a parking lot to you. Lots of boats, friggin currents and jockeying for position. Good to know that Port Hardy offers the chance to fish shallow with few if any boats around to compete. If you ever get down this way and want to see the opposite side of your experience I'd be happy to take you along. Plus I got 700' of 5/8" braided rode that I hate pulling in! Lol

Here`s an article titled `How to Anchor for Halibut. http://halibutchronicles.com/2014/05/11/how-to-anchor-for-halibut/

I do agree with others that suggested going with a charter to see and learn first hand how to do this safely. And you`ll also learn how to rig bait and fish for halibut. If you may get to see a harpoon demo too!! And if all that isn`t enough, you will probably get to bring home some `white gold`as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do agree with others that suggested going with a charter to see and learn first hand how to do this safely. And you`ll also learn how to rig bait and fish for halibut. If you may get to see a harpoon demo too!! And if all that isn`t enough, you will probably get to bring home some `white gold`as well.

Sound advice, Dave.

My friend has been kind enough to take me out half a dozen times for that white gold, and I still am not sure if I am ready to safely anchor offshore without him.

Some might just assume that I am a slow learner, but I assure that is not the case..... better safe than sorry, as Mother Nature can be a b*tch.

Key is to check your drift speed before throwing down the anchor.
If your drift is more than 1.5-2 knots don't bother.
also read the current tables for the area you're fishing.
I find Halibut bite best when there is some current, dead slack is often a slow bite time.

That's great to see a number like 2 knots max drift: better than just saying not too fast. :) As far as distance to next boat the rule in FL flats fishing is if you can see the color of the boat's hull you are too close. Would that be a good rule of thumb for deepwater anchoring too?

Keep in mind that wind and current contribute to drift speed (some will argue 2 knots is too fast )
always check the current table.
when you see a scotchman floating 25' feet in front of another boat there is likely another 300' or more
of anchor rope strung out in front of that.

I don't use zip straps, buy the correct anchor, a danforth sliding ring anchor, correct weight and size for boat. Sliding anchor is designed to allow safe recovery no matter the bottom. Comes up "backwards" when rocks, cable, ledges on bottom grab hold. they do work and no worry about zip ties, old, worn or letting go when you don't want. my 02c

HM

Yeah. Seems to be some debate as to what is correct. I did a little research on the sliding ring anchor and found an informative article. It was in a bunch of sections but I just copied the section dealing with solving the potential issues with that anchor.

Prevention/Solution

While the slip ring anchor may release itself from the seabed accidentally as the result of wave action or the movement of the vessel because of winds, currents or tidal currents, or even while sinking to the bottom to hold the vessel in place, a plastic wire tie -- inserted through the last link of the anchor chain and a hole drilled at the top of the anchor's shank through which the anchor ring slips -- provides a small degree of security against the anchor ring's movement to the head of the anchor.

Of all the online articles I've read over the past week it seems as if the Bruce/plow type anchor is the anchor of choice by a wide margin. The more I read, the more positive I am that I will ever anchor to fish. Too much can go wrong and the thrill of fishing shouldn't mean risking my life. But I am putting together a system and will learn to use it. Better to have it and never use it, than need it ( not just for fishing) and not have it.

Must state that I have not lost a slip ring anchor, I did loose a plow anchor in Vic some years ago, think cable from Vic to Port Angelas, spent hours trying to get of, I do know I can pull that big wire off bottome a few feet, but could not get anchor loose, sad cutting 340 ft sampson braid, chain and anchor away, I have not had one slip of anchor except during a tide and direction of pull change without boat reposition. I am not a normal anchor fisher, some say scary as North Island I have spots we set anchor in 470+ft of water to allow hookup and current to back us on reef at 340ft. I have not used plow sinse loss so cannot comment, only there is no requiremnt to maintain/use zip ties with slip ring. Good luck with whatever you use, remember safety first and have a sharp knife readily available EVERYTIME you hook to bottom.

HM

ALWAYS use Zap straps on any anchor FOR halibut as ive just said for halibut not in a bay overnight(this post is for halibut anchoring) as you should be putting the shackle at the end of the plow along the arm(you may have to drill a new hole) and run the chain along to arm to where the shackle normally is that where you zap strap it any severe hang up will snap the zap strap and it will come up easly.....

Sometimes there is alot of cables and crap especially off certain spots in Vic i once hauled up a ships railing made of steel i could barely lift the scotsman it was about 15 ft long by 3 ft high and ive hung so bad but finally got it free that spot is marked on the GPS as a no go zone...

Studying up the pic and drawing I've got another couple questions. How do you add rope sections? Clips or knots? How much slack should I have in the line from bow to stern(tag line? The eye on the bow of my boat is pretty low. The rope runs more or less under the boat then comes out and up the side (about where the helm seat is) to the stern cleat. Unless I keep it what I think is too tight? And the zap straps, 1/2" wide ones? Or is it a try it and see what I need thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
BEST thing you can do Clint is hire a guide from here or elsewhere and see first hand how its done there are so many factors on what to do not to do. After doing this for over 25 years nothing surprises more out there what ive seen it only gets worse it seems every year currents are a very deadly thing and **** happens fast out there ALOT faster than you could believe.
tight is good and i actually use 2 zaps on my rig as ive found one would always break you have to find a balance and they are they big ones ...

good luck wolf

Like Wolf said, hire a guide or go many times with a buddy who is in the know. Only then would I recommend doing it alone. Back in the day 30+ years ago Bennie and I's anchor was 2x 5 gallon gas cans, commercial hand line cadgut, 2 lb ball and a large "sturgeon" treble hook. I remember many a day on anchor of race scared shitless when the cans went under and the bow of my 16 ft aluminum boat was inches from the sea. Then we learned the bouy, shackle and 2 stainless welding rod trick, I still use that today 30 years later. We were balls butt lucky and the only hali anchor fools out there. All others tied in a line to the green can?? Learn, be safe and then have fun catching hali.

HM

OH the green can days wasnt that fun LOL 10 to 20 boats in a row all tied up together and dont dare try and go before the tide was done LOL.... dont forget 6 inch peetz with wire line.....But then Benni could catch a hali in a bath tub anyways he was the guru.....

Right you are Mr Wolf, fishing has progressed beyond anything I could have imagined. No more lighthouse x point then drive to 260ft, braided line, good depth/fish finders. Lifejackets that only inflate when required, and on and on. Now people use plastic anchor puller things, rings and we are all over the straight with our big boats. Bennie showed me how to turn the anchor backwards and used it to drag and slow a drift, all at 300+ ft. I owe much to Bennie, I was the kid (Popeye on radio) he liked, let me learn and follow him. Had secret leave the jetty times as the masses tried to follow us. Yes he, then I slayed many big fish. I even remember a very big one that he made me abandon my boat and climb in his so we could get it. In the end my boat had drifted miles away and we had to go get. Yes we got the fish, 180lb I believe. Sorry for high jacking the thread, ooh the stories. Everyone lets enjoy what we have here in BC and stay safe.

HM

Back