Hali opener

How come DFO opend hali early without giving them the opportunity to spawn? Another mismanagement. Take only what u need.

Hot reels.

Halibut spawn in the winter with peaks for December through February. Most spawning takes place off the continental shelf in deep waters of 200 to 300 fathoms. Females lay two to three millions eggs annually, depending on the size of the halibut. Males and females mature 7-8 and 8-12 years, respectively

Fertilized eggs hatch in about fifteen days.Free-floating eggs and larvae float up to 6 months and are transported up to several hundred miles by currents of the North Pacific Seas. During the flee-floating stage, many changes take place in the young halibut, including migration of the left eye to the right side of the fish. Eventually as the young halibut are carried into shallower waters by prevailing currents, they begin life as bottom dwellers. Click on the gallery to the right to get a close up look at halibut.

Younger halibut, up to 10 years, are highly migratory and generally migrate in a clockwise direction east and south throughout the Gulf of Alaska. Older halibut tend to be less migratory.

Halibut live a long time. Females grow faster and live longer than males. The oldest recorded female was 42 years old and the oldest male was 27 years old.

Halibut are opportunistic feeders, using whatever food is available. Being strong swimmers, halibut are able to eat a large variety of fish including cod, turbot, pollock, crab, and shrimp.

This should help CLEAR things up AS dont jump to conclusions

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Fishing was great again today landed 6 lost a few a very few dogs.biggest were in the 40's east cony 200 ft water.

Another good day off the bank landed 4 haly had afew more good hits,what a day for weather snowing blowing then nice sunny warm then back to snow.Anybody know about a longliner working out there rite now at least i think it must be i don't think prawns are open for commercials yet.

Another good day off the bank landed 4 haly had afew more good hits,what a day for weather snowing blowing then nice sunny warm then back to snow.Anybody know about a longliner working out there rite now at least i think it must be i don't think prawns are open for commercials yet.

Yes I heard they may be up to 3 boats working the vic area this year Trev. this is just the beggining from what I have heard.

Wolf

Yes I heard they may be up to 3 boats working the vic area this year Trev. this is just the beggining from what I have heard.

Wolf

thats perfect why would they want to come down here there can't be enough fish for them make it worth while.There gear hopefully gets eaten alive by doggies and they bug out.

thats perfect why would they want to come down here there can't be enough fish for them make it worth while.There gear hopefully gets eaten alive by doggies and they bug out.

Ya guys its true they delivered 2800 pounds for three days (dressed weight)the bank boarder and the race but the did only keep 7 over 100 and let the real big one go a few over 200. No luck for us today the tide was great but no hali, good going Trev

Ya guys its true they delivered 2800 pounds for three days (dressed weight)the bank boarder and the race but the did only keep 7 over 100 and let the real big one go a few over 200. No luck for us today the tide was great but no hali, good going Trev

the longliners are probably trying to save money on fuel this early in the year.Also weather up north is pretty nasty in march so they will probably go up in april

Special permission from DFO to work the inside, according to my source. Don't care enough to follow up woth any research, but next time I see my old fishing buddies (commercial) I'll see if I can confirm that.

What a bummer! finally looking like some decent tides this weekend and the wind forecast is the craps. Can't have your cake and eat it to.

Back