Haggling with boat dealers

C

chromechaser

Now that I have given up on bringing the boat from ontario I am starting my search over again.

From those of you that have bought boats from dealers, is there much haggling that goes on these days on used boats. I know every dealer is somewhat different, but I would assume that there is some flexibility in most prices unless it is stated as firm in the add. I don't mind haggling over price it's just picking a starting point that is the challenge. Any experiences? Boat budget is set somewhere between 20 and 30 grand.

I would say that right now, it is a buyers market for boats.

Drive a hard bargain and don't be afraid to walk away from a deal that is not right for you. There are lots of boats out there for sale and not a lot of buyers.

The latest problem is people abandoning their boats and grinding off hull id numbers etc. so it can't be tracked back to them. If people are that desperate to get rid of a boat, almost any offer you make to make it go away will be a blessing to them.

Just remember, not everyone is in this situation, but enough are that you can find a good deal if you are patient and look around.

Good luck in your search.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

If your going to buy something that is not local, a broker is a good idea, but get someone with credentials. When I bought mine out of florida, the boat was advertised by a 3rd party (a broker working for the seller). Although she was very helpful with all the flaming hoops, she failed to mention some of the obvious flaws with the boat. Her name is Michelle Prue.. dont use her! Good luck.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

I buy private. These people are not out to screw you. You are dealing with honest people.

Most used boats listed with a broker are being sold with the broker acting as an agent (for 10%). It's not their money. Deal with them like a real estate agent, although in my experience, boat brokers who have been in business for a while are a short cut above r.e. agents.
Do your homework, know the prices, and cut a fair deal.
Also know the prices in the states. More you know about the market the better you can negotiate. That said, I'd start 20% under asking and see what happens.

On a 20-30 grand boat, it may be worthwhile to do some checking in Washington.

It's not that far and not at all difficult to bring a boat up (do a search on importing a boat on this forum, you'll get all the info you need).
Biggest thing is figuring out what you want. Easy to buy a boat that seems to have everything you want, but is deficient in some necessary feature(s) overlooked in the honeymoon period of shopping.

I am looking in Washington and have all of the informatio for bringing a boat back thanks to a great threat that I found on here from a year or two ago. There was a very thorough discussion on the topic and a must read for anyone thinking of doing this.

I hadn't really been considering using a broker, but I guess it couldn't hurt to have another set of eyes watching for me. Anyone have anyone that they would recommend?

Mark up...........

10 to 20% Most boat brokers ask 20% on anything under $25000 or there not representing you well.

The broker can call the owner and will get him to reduce his price so the broker can still make full commision however if you drive a take or walk stance the broker may also bend to.... once the owner is at there bottom line and truly feels you are walking away. Sometimes you may have to be patient and watch how things unfold over a few days. If he doesnt call you.....either he is a poor broker or he feels you meant it when you said you were walking away.(Bad Salesman) Call him tell him you now have a couple of boats in mind but like this one and wanted to check to see if the owners reconsidered my offer or are willing to show more flexability in the bottom line. ;)

JMHO Cheers ME

Truth Be Told
Cheers Kevin

Nootka Marine Adventures

WHERE THE OCEAN IS OUR PLAYGROUND

Charter Packages or Bring Your Own Boat
www.goldriverfishinglodge.com

Camping/Chalets/Boat Launch/New Marina/Fuel
www.moutchabay.com

Email: h00kedonfishing@hotmail.com

I would buy private. you only have to pay PST on the hull and trailer when transfered into your name. tell the taxman that there was no engine on the hull. more money in your pocket to spend on toys:D

When you bring a boat into Canada you will be paying both GST & PST on the boat and the motor and GST only on the trailer. PST will be collected when you register the trailer.

This article on Edmunds.com is a great read. Their advice of taking a friend, or taking your wife is a great one and I've used it to my advantage.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/45498/article.html

Last time we purchased I used car I used the Edmunds scenario with a twist ... I took my wife along and prepped her ahead of time on what to do. Upon picking the car, and knowing the price we wanted to pay, we made low-ball offer to the salesman, and of course he gave us the old "I'll have to talk to the manager" routine. He came back with his head hung low and told us the manager wouldn't accept our price. We then made a slightly higher offer which he took back to the manager -- this is where the routine kicked in.... The salesman and manager could see us on the showroom floor. I had my wife pretend to look angry and argue with me and then walk out of the showroom and go to our car. Salesman came back .... told me the bad news that our offer wasn't high enough -- I told him I had already exceeded what my wife and I had agreed to, I was sorry to have wasted his time, and that I would have to walk. Seeing a sale about to leave, he took the same offer back and I got the deal done.

Do the same routine with your boat and I guarantee it works...trick is, you've got to know what you are willing to pay so you have some homework to do...

TenMile
<'((((><

Back