Gunnel led lights

The bulbs were $8 or $9 at the Vancouver boat show. Lots of choices so I just took all the regular bulbs I had and he found the correct LED replacement.
Was part of the Harbour Chandler display but is an independent I think.
It cost me about $100 for all the NAV and cabin lights but I cruise and overnight as well so it is well worth it for battery management.
I see them on eBay for a few dollars. Chinese versions.

Ya there is definitely and advantage to running them as they draw very little , we looked up the wedge type bulb for my anchor light and it was going to be 20 bucks little steep ... I'll keep my old school bulbs for now ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, they are way brighter and as you mention actually red and green, and not just white light through a lens. Very cool, and while expensive I think will keep my battery resting comfortably while providing an extremely bright lighting option.

For nav and anchor, the LED lights are much more robust to vibration than incandescent. So the extra upfront cost will pay off over time in far less frequent replacement. With incandescents, I seem to have to replace at least one lamp every time I trailer a couple 100 miles.

Give you some background why you paid more. The leds are expensive because red/green especially for anything navigational that you have to meet for chromaticity/flux specs... The manufacturer also wants those lights to be same intensity (flux) every time and likely has three to four suppliers.... Once they make LED's they omit certain color(chromiticity) and intensity (flux) based on a number of factors..So there is a range... What happens is the manufacturers measure and bin them when they are measured. It kind of work like this if you are offering cheap lights to your customer you don't need binned LED's so the colors and ranges can be all over the place.

The manufacturers that need the specific colours/lux end up paying more an taking them.... The rest of them cheaper ones that have colors all over the place get bought up by strip lighting, xmas lights etc This is why you notice your xmas lights colors changing each year... That is where warm white, cyan green etc came from... Just some background....

Last edited by a moderator:
I never purchased it as the would have to order it in, maybe some shipping charges in there, also the all-around rear anchor light that I purchased I noticed the bulb is smoked on the side facing the driver as not to be annoying , not sure if the bright LED would be bothersome or not, I never looked on ebay but a friend of mine has ordered a bunch of 1157"s in LED and they are bright as hell, I wonder how they would hold up in my submersible trailer lights.. the wedge bulb I need is a #906 and then the front navlight is like a small rv bulb.

Was at Dockside Marine checking out kickers the other day. They're selling a package of 4 color changing light strips about 16" long with remote. Waterproof and marine quality for... Get this... $552.00! I did a double take and sure enough $552.00 before taxes. Ouch. Had a glance at their bottom paint too, had to pass on it at $220 a gallon. I think I can find it cheaper some where else. And finally, checked out a new Mercury 9.9, power tilt with charging option for just over 4k taxes in. Very nice. Tried for some kind of savings but the sales guy wouldn't budge. I said maybe in the fall if they go on sale. Nope, that's pretty much the price I was told. So had to leave empty handed. Still have a pocket full of money though.

Was at Dockside Marine checking out kickers the other day. They're selling a package of 4 color changing light strips about 16" long with remote. Waterproof and marine quality for... Get this... $552.00! I did a double take and sure enough $552.00 before taxes. Ouch. Had a glance at their bottom paint too, had to pass on it at $220 a gallon. I think I can find it cheaper some where else. And finally, checked out a new Mercury 9.9, power tilt with charging option for just over 4k taxes in. Very nice. Tried for some kind of savings but the sales guy wouldn't budge. I said maybe in the fall if they go on sale. Nope, that's pretty much the price I was told. So had to leave empty handed. Still have a pocket full of money though.

552.00!! rip off... Its not there fault probably bought it from supplier that expensive...Holy cow.

These are the ones that I got for my boat, just on/off but that was all I needed. http://www.amazon.com/Logisys-RM02-...7424&sr=8-36&keywords=keychain+remote+control One in the boat and one on my keychain in the truck. Great for walking down the dock in the morning and turn on the lights a 150' away from the boat.

ya they make them pretty neat now- adays, you can even get them to change to the music.. but lets face it, im not trying to have a much music video dance party out there..., I was considering the remote but I am just going to wire them to an illuminated toggle under the dash... damn I need covered storage shelter for my boat..this rain sucks..

I like that idea.... Thanks for sharing that.... I may go with something like that..then you don't need any switching etc.... I am also getting those dome lights that you twist and they change color.... One inside hardtop/ and one in cuddy.

ya they make them pretty neat now- adays, you can even get them to change to the music.. but lets face it, im not trying to have a much music video dance party out there..., I was considering the remote but I am just going to wire them to an illuminated toggle under the dash... damn I need covered storage shelter for my boat..this rain sucks..
Get portable shelter...Best thing for you boat.

Works great in the morning when I pick-up my fishing buddies and I just switch on the lights from the truck and they throw the gear in the boat. I have the blue lights up under gunnels so even though they are waterproof they never get wet. Great for sitting around the dock at night and having cocktails because they are under the gunnels they don't blind you.

Sitting at the dock for cocktails. Not a great photo but gives you a idea.

Attachments

• IMG-20130811-00086.jpg
    IMG-20130811-00086.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 113
For nav and anchor, the LED lights are much more robust to vibration than incandescent.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread, but do these LEDs meet Coast Guard navigational standards ( ABYC A-16 STANDARD ) ??
I've read that some LEDs are not up to the requirements, not visible at the specified distance.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread, but do these LEDs meet Coast Guard navigational standards ( ABYC A-16 STANDARD ) ??
I've read that some LEDs are not up to the requirements, not visible at the specified distance.

That's a good question. But I can tell you the LED's I bought are twice a bright as the old bulbs. Especially the anchor light. I can read under it in the dark. Lol

That's a good question. But I can tell you the LED's I bought are twice a bright as the old bulbs. Especially the anchor light. I can read under it in the dark. Lol

Yes - if you buy the correct bulbs/fixtures - for example - http://store.marinebeam.com/led-bi-color-navigation-light/. There's been rapid evolution in LED lighting for boats over the past 3-5 years. When LED replacements first came out, the often were too dim or would throw electrical noise on the system due to poorly designed switching power supplies. For the most part, those issues are a thing of the past as long as one avoids low end manufacturers.

Thanks for the info, seadna.
Like most things these days, have to make sure to buy the quality part
and not go with for the cheap one

Back