Steering, aft helm on gunnel

MiddlepointBight

Hi all,

Looking to improve the fishability of a 26' Hourston, in particular while fishing solo. Current helm setups (one in cabin and one on flybridge) aren't super easy to get to/from when fishing solo, and the vis from inside to port-side rigger/rod is not good.

Boat is podded with two 200 E-Tec HOs which are tied together on a SeaStar hydraulic steering setup. I would like to be able to steer while fishing in from cockpit. I've considered the Intelisteer/FOB option, but I like the tactile hands-on feel of helm, and it's one less thing to lose.

What names/brands/models are recommend? I like the idea of small helm dead-center after gunnel, as the riggers are mounted on the corners of after gunnels (where the BBQ and/or flag is mounted below). Only other spot that might work would be under the starboard window on after cabin wall (and switch door to a left-slider), and/or the inner gunnel below the triangular piece to right of that window.

Also not sure if throttle/controls are a must-have, and would probably also like to mount with a sounder.

Open to suggestions/recommendations, TIA!

1696875141899.png

1696875232934.png

1696875314383.png

Why not install a steering station on your starboard side. Beautiful boat

Attachments

• 727b.jpg
    727b.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 30
My 23 has a steering station on the starboard side of the Alaska bulkhead -- which also gives you a place to mount a screen if you want that at your steering station [I've used a tablet connected by Bluetooth to the forward Lowrance]. I have a swivelling seat there, and can easily move to look more ahead or back at the rods.

I flipped my door and put a steering station on the starboard side. Engine controls for main and kicker as well as a 9” gps/sounder. I would consider it a must if fishing is your primary interest! I use the rear helm almost exclusively unless driving long distances. I use the rear helm controls for all pot pick ups as well as jumping from ling pile to ling pile, also works great for docking!IMG_1487.jpeg

My 23 has a steering station on the starboard side of the Alaska bulkhead -- which also gives you a place to mount a screen if you want that at your steering station [I've used a tablet connected by Bluetooth to the forward Lowrance]. I have a swivelling seat there, and can easily move to look more ahead or back at the rods.
Thanks for that. Does your door swing open to port?

I was thinking that approach too.. ticks all the boxes, but would want to switch my door to a slider to port behind ladder I think. We throw the two boys ages 2 and 4 in the cuddy and put a fold-out double mattress down in the back 40 under canvas, so need the ability to do that with the door open still.

I flipped my door and put a steering station on the starboard side. Engine controls for main and kicker as well as a 9” gps/sounder. I would consider it a must if fishing is your primary interest! I use the rear helm almost exclusively unless driving long distances. I use the rear helm controls for all pot pick ups as well as jumping from ling pile to ling pile, also works great for docking!View attachment 98798

That's a great setup. Did you use the same door and flip hinges/hardware to other side? I have the ladder to contend with. so maybe a slider to port would do it.

Thanks for that. Does your door swing open to port?

I was thinking that approach too.. ticks all the boxes, but would want to switch my door to a slider to port behind ladder I think. We throw the two boys ages 2 and 4 in the cuddy and put a fold-out double mattress down in the back 40 under canvas, so need the ability to do that with the door open still.
Yes, door swings to port, but I have no ladder in my way. Slider would solve that. Stern station has all kicker controls, second set of main controls and the tablet for sonar/chart display.

We used to have mom, dad and daughter in the cuddy -- later dad on the fold down galley table -- 20+ years later, adult daughter there. On the rare occasions a 4th person sleeps aboard, we have the engine cover and rear seats that make into a bed. With the slope canvas the cockpit is dry.

Last edited:
Yes, door swings to port, but I have no ladder in my way. Slider would solve that. Stern station has all kicker controls, second set of main controls and the tablet for sonar/chart display.

We used to have mom, dad and daughter in the cuddy -- later dad on the fold down galley table -- 20+ years later, adult daughter there. On the rare occasions a 4th person sleeps aboard, we have the engine cover and rear seats that make into a bed. With the slope canvas the cockpit is dry.

Thanks for the info! Sounds just like ExFlyGuy's setup to a tee. It would tick all the boxes, and the sounder can sit up there dry under our slope back when docked. Did you buy your steering station or make it custom? If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to see a photo.

We tried all four of us in the cuddy this summer, and the younger boy (2) just wanted to crawl all over my wife lol, so maybe better in a year or two. There's definitely enough room for a few years at least! I've had a couple great weekend out with the boys and the cuddy was perfect. DON'T have to set an alarm too haha!

Thanks for the info! Sounds just like ExFlyGuy's setup to a tee. It would tick all the boxes, and the sounder can sit up there dry under our slope back when docked. Did you buy your steering station or make it custom? If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to see a photo.

We tried all four of us in the cuddy this summer, and the younger boy (2) just wanted to crawl all over my wife lol, so maybe better in a year or two. There's definitely enough room for a few years at least! I've had a couple great weekend out with the boys and the cuddy was perfect. DON'T have to set an alarm too haha!
The stern station was installed when the boat was made, with kicker controls added later. My cabin has a cupboard/shelf just inside the window in the Alaska bulkhead, so I can leave the tablet totally out of the weather.

I don't have any good photos of the steering station, and I'm 25 km from the boat, but I'll take some later this week when I'm there.

The stern station was installed when the boat was made, with kicker controls added later. My cabin has a cupboard/shelf just inside the window in the Alaska bulkhead, so I can leave the tablet totally out of the weather.

I don't have any good photos of the steering station, and I'm 25 km from the boat, but I'll take some later this week when I'm there.
Right on. Thanks!

depending where you fish if in the crowd having controls in difficult areas to reach mite not be the best ...... fishing solo having to bend down and reach under with a fish on not going to be ideal either ......

depending where you fish if in the crowd having controls in difficult areas to reach mite not be the best ...... fishing solo having to bend down and reach under with a fish on not going to be ideal either ......

True enough. We use the boat for cruising as much / more than fishing, so having things out of the way is nice and happy wife happy life right. 😂😅

Quick update here, and keen to hear your thoughts guys.

Apparently Evinrude does not support a 3rd helm on their digital throttle/shift system. So my idea of installing controls on the station has been stonewalled. I can still install a steering wheel back there, but no engine controls.

In my view, the helm/steering wheel functionality is the more important than controls back there while fishing. Once I get the lines and riggers set up at the speed I want, I fiddle way more with the tack/course vs the speed (i.e. steering). If I need to tinker the speed, darting inside or to the flybridge isn't that big a deal. In a perfect world, I would have controls and wheel on the steering station, but it does not sound like an option, and I don't want to eliminate either the cabin or flybridge controls / steering as I use both.

Another option that was suggested to me is one of those Garmin autopilot systems (Reactor™ 40 Hydraulic Corepack with SmartPump v2, with GHC™ 50 Autopilot Instrument). I have zero experience with these, and holy smokes they are pricey. Can't say I've ever been a fan of FOB style steering; however, I have also never used one before. If I went this route, I probably wouldn't need a steering station, I would just flush-mount the screen / electronics to that back cabin (starboard) wall below the window.

What would you guys do?

Back