Gulf Islands 2013

Fished trincomali this weekend (between galiano and saltspring) for a few hours and got into a few pinks but that's it. Had some newbies on board so we were just looking for any action whatsoever so it worked out fine. Had a few pink squirts and white hoochies out the back.

Anyone tried pender bluffs lately? Outside of galiano? Any springs around?

Spent the last week at Poets cove. Seemed harder to find pinks for the kids but we were able to get some. Didn't see many caught on other boats and many guys said they weren't getting any. One guy staying at Poets went out around the point one eve between 4-7pm and brought in 2 20lb springs. Crabbing in the bay produced all undersized crab and females.

Spent the last week at Poets cove. Seemed harder to find pinks for the kids but we were able to get some. Didn't see many caught on other boats and many guys said they weren't getting any. One guy staying at Poets went out around the point one eve between 4-7pm and brought in 2 20lb springs. Crabbing in the bay produced all undersized crab and females.

did you see them jumping everywhere still? Sometimes when they are really active and jumping they don't like to bite - should be sh*t load of them around though.

Sidneyboy, were you guys fishing the bluffs? I've heard of some good days (for pinks at least) there in the past little while. Sometimes they just aren't around though. The bluffs are usually pretty consistent from now through mid-sept for pinks and some nice springs.

I spoke to some old-timers at the ramp in Sidney on Sunday who fished dawn to about 9 and they said the bite came on strong at Pender Bluffs. He said the two of them in 45 minutes got something like 4 pinks, 2 coho, and lost another 5. The fish were shallow and biting fast, then the bite turned off and the wind and rain got ugly. They said a friend nailed a mid-twenties chinook on Saturday there.

We tried for hali near James-loaded with dogs, moved to by Darcy- weird current/wind combo with ugly rain, moved again for brief respite from rain, then hammered again by rain and more dogfighting. No hali for us and ran out of bait.

Going to be fishing the pender (oak) bluffs tomorrow. Haven't fished there in a couple of years and I don't recall if it's best on the flood or ebb. Anyone have insight? Cheers, tincan

Anyone fished the bluffs on the inside of Valdez before? Going to be staying at Mudge in a week looking to do some salmon fishing any ideas???

Just a quick update on the Pender bluffs. The pinks seem to be holding there and the numbers have increased over the past couple of weeks. Fished yesterday from 8 until noon. Our boat picked up 9 pinks. Most of the hits at 60 - 90 feet depth and on pink squirts or hootchies.
The bluffs were fairly productive for Springs earlier in the month but don't seem to be producing right now. Hopefully, a fresh group of Springs will be passing soon.

I fished in/around galiano on Saturday and all was quite on the outside but we had relatively decent action on the inside of active with pinks and sockeye. Ended up keeping 2 pinks and letting go 3 sox and another pink. Had 2 sox bite on chovies which doesn't always happen. No spring hits for us

Been banging in new windows at my rents cabin. Been four days of labour as I watch the boats head in and out of bed spring island with their nets waving in the air. So stoked to be headin to the bluffs in the am. Taking a buddy who hasn't fished in 14 years, rigged up my moms boat with my old manuals....gonna rock it old school. Marty, get bent, any chance of knocking off work for a rendezvous?? Will report on the findings fellas. Off to bed.

fished yesterday from 5:30 till 10 am, over 30 boats out at the bluffs. we landed a couple of pinks and released a sock, and I only saw one boat land a spring. He got it on a pink squirt at 57 feet in about 400 ft of water. We were using pink squirts too. My buddy fished colinson Pt last night and had three pinks, and released two sox, all on a white hootchie. Seems to be some fish there for a quick dinner or the kids to play with.

Fished the Pender bluffs the last 3 days. Odd tides with very little difference (1 foot) between the afternoon high and low tides. There are some mature fish out there. Lost a 25 plus Spring at the boat fishing solo on Monday afternoon - I blame the guy on the net. Landed a 15 pound Spring Wednesday afternoon and a 17 pound Spring last night. Catching them at 100 - 140 feet and using bait - anchovies and herring. Incredible amount of bait stacked up on the wall. In some cases showing from the surface down to 200 feet. Also, picking up a fair number of pinks even down deep at 100 plus feet.

Hi going to cabbage island this long weekend never been there before. Any spots for prawns or commies clean them out.. any fish out there 2.

They were still there Sunday. Saw some jumping and casted a small pink spoon at them and caught the biggest of the day on the spoon. Also some nice springs there as well.

Back