Gulf Islands 2013

Any recent updates on fish been caught in golf islands? Ill be heading out this aft around Galiano and will report back with any success

Fished Thrasher and Porlier thursday and Porlier today. Nothing. Didn't see anyone else catch anything either. The weather was amazing all weekend.

If only the fish and weather cooperated!! Yesterday was pretty weird, The waters in Stuart Channel were nasty! There was an orange scum that was gathering in the tide lines. We fish tent for a few hours but didn't get any bites. There were giant balls on the sounder and oodles of tiny fish leaping on the surface. just wasn't able to entice anything that may have been chasing them to bite.

Managed to get into a couple fish this weekend in the gulf islands on Saturday. Boated a 20lb spring off saltspring (near tent) and then released a 10lber as well. Tons of residue from the herring spawn (all that orange stuff) on the surface but didn't really mess up the lines like the plankton bloom does. Anyone know exactly what all of that orange stuff is? I pulled up a few weeds from bottom as well and noticed lot's of eggs (herring) on them so hopefully lot's of feed for the straight of georgia this year.

hey Boys, Is tent the same as Collinson Pt on the south side of Galiano?? I do see what looks like a canvas tent up there. Just wondering as My folks have a place up by secret island. Cheers

Tent island is on the other side of Saltspring. Approximately 15 mi from collinson pt galiano island. Just off the south end of kuper island. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367006249.794133.jpg

Fished "Cable Bay" Galiano with the wife yesterday managed a few Smaller fish. 8 , 10 and a 13. Water was calm, sun was out. The wife was happy. One at 110ft Chovy, 1 at 150 Green Spackle Back Hoochie, and 1 at 125 Green Spackle Back Hoochie. Bait was stacked up all morning until about 10:00. Then followed it up with a Double Header Massage at the Galiano Inn. Should buy me a few more trip out! 20130522_101728.jpg20130522_081008.jpg

fished gabriolla/fingers sat & sunday....lots of shakers all day saturday until finally in the evening, off entrance island, a double header turned into a 16lb red spring and a 15lb lingcod...probably one of the tastiest double header possible! haha...again countless shakers sunday with one barely legal red spring in the mix, made the run back across around 2pm...all action came on spoons irish cream, kitchen sink, cop car,

Took the boat over for the weekend to Galiano, camped at Montague (took the bus to the pub) and fished what I think was "cable bay" outside active pass. I have never fished the area before but worked the drop off either side of where the cable to the island goes submarine into the strait. Couple guys in a whaler said they had one fish on Saturday afternoon. Lots of bait on the sounder and just before we headed in at about 7 on Saturday we had a solid pop off and a good fish on for a few seconds at 100 feet. Sunday morning (about 10am after a lesuirely breakfast) as soon as we dropped the lines had a great smack, off the clip and running before I could get it out of the holder... lost that one too and one more bite was all we managed. Mooched up a perfect 30 inch ling for the table on the way home. No salmon in the boat but cool to see a new spot.

Most boats were fishing a ridge well off shore in the strait... I take it that is the hotspot?

Any recent reports from the Gulf Islands boys? Heading over to Galliano tomorrow evening and fishing saturday & sunday... cheers

well i finally gave er a try for prawning near bare point and went crabbing as well. prawning is absolutely garbage right now because of the commies being in there fishing not to long ago got maybe 6 prawns in one trap every pull, but on the other side of this crabbing was on fire. put the traps down in about 200ft of flat muddy bottom and got all male keepers in all my commercial crab traps. even got 4 or 5 8 inchers as well. heres a picture of how loaded one one of my traps were today. this trap isn't my commys traps its some weird green netted china looking trap. but no joke this trap will out fish any crab trap any day.matts pictures 004.jpgmatts pictures 005.jpgmatts pictures 007.jpg

Lots of pinks moving north from Collinson Point (Active Pass) heading towards Porlier in the last few days. Plenty of hits today, couple of fish boated for two hours trolling pink hoochies around low tide under Mt Galiano. Best action tight to the wall although fish are moving all over.

Seeing lots of jumpers near Porlier (from our deck) but haven't fished there lately.

Lots of pinks moving north from Collinson Point (Active Pass) heading towards Porlier in the last few days. Plenty of hits today, couple of fish boated for two hours trolling pink hoochies around low tide under Mt Galiano. Best action tight to the wall although fish are moving all over.

Seeing lots of jumpers near Porlier (from our deck) but haven't fished there lately.

How deep would you fish for those pinks? Thanks

Thrasher rock

Anyone been fishing Thrasher rock this week was there a couple weeks ago and it was hot. Want to go back this week end any reports.

Back