Glow paint?

Nigels

I have some old plugs and spoons that could be given new life. Is there such a thing as glow paint and if so what is called and where can I get it?

Thanks, of the paint which is best blue or green and can I buy it over the counter anywhere? I'm on the Island for two weeks then back to the coast.

http://www.readysetglo.com/

it's a little more like mud than paint but man does it work!

I suppose you could buy some of the powder and cook it on the spoons I just use a flat white base coat and dab on the mud.

Try Michaels craft store, the one in Victoria has had glow white, pink, green, and orange in the past. As it is a chain they likely have at other locations. The last time I got the white it was in a different isle than the others.

Like most fishing topics there have been extensive thread/s on this in the past. A search may turn them up. There are all sorts of sites for tackle paints including double glow, long glow lasting, powder coat and clear coat UV etc. You can also get gold and silver spray chrome paint from Canadian Tire.

Try and bribe the guy who makes Pesca spoons and find out what he uses....you can read a book using a spoon in the dark.

Yea but it doesn't stay on very good, all of mine are peeling including a couple unused ones

Yea but it doesn't stay on very good, all of mine are peeling including a couple unused ones

Try the new generation. I am not experiencing any problems so far with the newest batch.

Glow paint is regular paint with glow in the dark powder mixed in. Quality varies due to variances in powder quality, amount of powder in the paint and the paint quality.

You can make your own paint very easily but should know the basics about the powder first. I use a V10 powder in hi-vis or super bright green. Depending on particular project, the grain size differs. The larger grain will produce a brighter glow and last longer but in paint applications it is not the best choice. It is best with epoxies.

For painting, under 30 microns is best. It is small enough to blend in the paint without causing adhesion malfunction unless too much powder is used. The phrase " the more the merrier" does not apply here. Too much powder and the paint will not stick and this is why many glow paint get a bad reputation- they put in a lot of powder to get the best glow effect but soon it flakes off.

The paint that sticks the best has just enough powder but does not glow as bright or as long.

When I am using powder with paint, I rough the surface with sandpaper to allow the paint a better grip then apply first thin coat of paint only. When it reaches flash point { point when sticky to light touch but not cured } I'll apply second thin coat with slight powder blend. Then, again at flash point, apply a clear paint with powder blend. This process allows the pure paint to stick to object and subsequent coats to stick to each other. It reduces flaking and increases glow factors.

Another option is to coat object with clear resin then at flash point, cover object with powder. Maximum glow !! Once cured, apply a light spray of clear paint to reduce amount of lost powder.

Glow powder is expensive if you want top quality stuff. I get mine from a company in Charlotte NC and the cost is about $100 per pound plus shipping and duties. This place produces some great stuff- average glow time is advertised at 24 hours, but true time is quite a bit more, maybe 36 or more. And, rather than fast light up/fast burn down, it lights up quick enough and the first 20 seconds is the burn down time to a steady glow.

Try the new generation. I am not experiencing any problems so far with the newest batch.

Yup....thus far the ones I got a couple weeks back are holding up. If any start to show signs I may hit them with a clear coat of nail polish or some other clearcoat.

Valspar used to make a spray-on glow paint that wasn't too bad.....I used to get it Michael's

Then Michael's stopped carrying it, it seemed....

Found out Lowe's was a Valspar dealer that carried the spraypaint......but no Lowe's around where I live.....

I'd put that that stuff on and then put a clear coat over top.....

Most of those acrylic glows that you get at Michael's that people use for Halloween etc etc etc don't stand up at all when used for lures....

Valspar used to make a spray-on glow paint that wasn't too bad.....I used to get it Michael's

Then Michael's stopped carrying it, it seemed....

Found out Lowe's was a Valspar dealer that carried the spraypaint......but no Lowe's around where I live.....

I'd put that that stuff on and then put a clear coat over top.....

Most of those acrylic glows that you get at Michael's that people use for Halloween etc etc etc don't stand up at all when used for lures....

Lowe's will do online sales. I haven't tried what they are selling so maybe next time I'm at a store, I'll check it out.

The Halloween glow is a low grade product- it's cheap because its meant to be disposed of after one or two uses.

Back