Fuel Line issue?

F

Fisher-Dad

I have remote 25l fuel tanks and I think somehow air is getting into my fuel system because the engine bogs down and dies at higher rpm unless the ball is pumped.

I noticed with the fuel line disconnected at both the tank and motor when I squeeze the ball I hear air escape at the tank side connector. Is that normal or have I found a problem?

I would think when disconnected both ends should be air tight and the ball should be firm. I'm about to replace the fuel pump but starting to doubt that is the problem.

2002 Yamaha F60 with about 400 hours.

Is the vent open on the tank? sounds like vapor lock

Yes id say thats the problem if you can get a fixed connector...

I would replace the gas line first, sounds like you may have a bad check valve in the bulb. The check valve prevents fuel from flowing back into the tank. If that doesn't fix it then your fuel pump is most likely the problem. Fuel line is much cheaper to replace and if it's 10 years old then it probably needs replacing anyways.

Also the inline fuel filter on your motor is a cheap maintenance item that should be replaced at the same time if it hasn't been replaced recently.

Actually I was having this issue last year so I bought a brand new tank and fuel line. It worked for about 10 months and now the issue is back. I'lI investigate that fuel line more and i do ensure the tank vent is open. Should I replace the 10 year old fuel pump regardless?

Sounds more like the connection at the tank from what you said if its not an air tight seal you will get a air lock in the line. and your fuel pump if its your boat runs its working.

good luck Wolf

Check fittings on both sides of primer bulb, check entire length of hose for cracks, if all that is OK, check the fittings at the engine , then the tank. I belive your problem is there somewhere, and not you fuel pump. Good luck. BB

I would replace the gas line first, sounds like you may have a bad check valve in the bulb.

Agree here. Had two bad lines myself on my 9.9. Same problem you described. pump to keep it charged, you can hear a hiss...It could be the check valve...but look closely at the fitting where you attach to you motor/tank. If there is any nicks or damage around the ball you will not get a good seal. You can damage it when plugging in the gas line. A trick I learned was just to spit abit on the end of the gas line, and make sure the ball and pin is somewhat lubricated, and plug it in. A dry gas line can 'catch' as your plugging it in and you can damage the seal around the ball. Hope that made sense....

-FB-

yep....any line leaks between the motor and the tank, you are sucking air as well.....no good.

Sometimes it's the connector where it plugs in the motor. If it is loose and floppy a little due to wear....it will suck air there. I've replaced those before and it fixed the problem.

The little "O" ring that's in the quick connector can sometimes move a little when removing the connector and prevent a good seal against that small stainless ball. When this happens, you can hear air escaping when you pump the primer bulb,and when running air is sucked into the fuel line. I have found that the aftermarket connectors (Atwood) are more prone to this. The "O" ring seems to roll on itself. If you put a little clean grease on the fitting coming of the tank, and install and remove the quick connector several times it will often roll back into position.

Back