Espar heater won’t run

JWS

Crew Member
Diesel heater won’t fire. The controller is getting power, tank is full, exhaust is clear, wiring and fuel line are in good shape. The heater was last used the end of October and ran perfectly, but I’m now reading I should have fired it up at least once a month. Any help for troubleshooting/repair would be great, thank you. It’s an airtronic S2 D2L.

If you can put your hand on it when you try to start it up it should make a clicking noise and if your able to touch it you will feel if it'd pumping. It could be a stuck fuel pump...weird that your not getting any codes - what controller are you using?

If you can put your hand on it when you try to start it up it should make a clicking noise and if your able to touch it you will feel if it'd pumping. It could be a stuck fuel pump...weird that your not getting any codes - what controller are you using?
Eberspacher 7 day programmable ontroller

Attachments

• IMG_4242.jpeg
    IMG_4242.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 5
Pump just pulses. Every second or 2.

Could have an air bubble that won't prime also. Seen that lots. There is a priming mode that will run the pump statically with the unit off. Take the fuel line off of the unit and make sure there is fuel coming out.

This is why I always put the pumps closest to the source. Pumps will not suck they will only push

Last edited:
Pump just pulses. Every second or 2.

Could have an air bubble that won't prime also. Seen that lots. There is a priming mode that will run the pump statically with the unit off. Take the fuel line off of the unit and make sure there is fuel coming out.

This is why I always put the pumps closest to the source. Pumps will not suck they will only push
So out here now, tried salmonkiller01’s idea of knocking loose stuck pump, no go.

I’m not hearing any clicking or pulsing coming from the pump, so thinking pump is shot?

Pump is about 12” of hose away from tank.

Last edited:
Maybe it's the connection. Unplug it and have a look at the pins. Spray some fluid film in there or some dielectric grease and pop it back on.

So out here now, tried salmonkiller01’s idea of knocking loose stuck pump, no go.

I’m not hearing any clicking or pulsing coming from the pump, so thinking pump is shot?

Pump is about 12” of hose away from tank.
I would say that It's your pump then...I had a stuck pump brand new when I installed it on my new boat. I Removed it and smack it like described above...I rigged up a 12v lead to the connector until I could hear it operating like it should - it took a while but I finally got it going and it has been fine since.

My motherboard just crapped out one day. The unit was 6 years old. It was going to cost $600 to fix it. I used it regularly.

I would say that It's your pump then...I had a stuck pump brand new when I installed it on my new boat. I Removed it and smack it like described above...I rigged up a 12v lead to the connector until I could hear it operating like it should - it took a while but I finally got it going and it has been fine since.
Out here again tonight, beat on it pretty good again, nothing. New pump should be here early next week.

Back